Harrier Gr Mk 7/9 (Revell, 1/48)

T

tecdes

Very nice Roman. It is only when you model these aircraft your realise how complex some of them are. The engineering in this is quite incredible to get so much in a small space but yet have to service the craft on an Aircraft carrier.

Last time I visited the aircraft museum near Yeovil they had a Shar displayed hanging from the roof as if in the air. It is a remarkably small aircraft & yet for it's year it had so much gear on it. Like the Spit it is a little darling of an aircraft packing such a punch.

A brilliant read is Commander Sharkey Ward (Mr Sea Harrier) as Leader of the Squadron of Shars in the Invincible. The first part of the book he describes a bet with a bunch of USA pilots in charge of the latest F ? based in Europe. Ward said the Harriers were better (despite lower speeds etc.). The US pilots were dismissive. They had a encounters, two best pilots each side, to get into position to fire their missiles at each other. Cannot remember the exact results but it turned out something like Harrier 7 F? 1.

The book is Sea Harrier over the Falklands. Do not miss reading. Controversial in places as he is very critical of Rear Admiral (at that time) Sandy Woodward the Falklands War sea Admiral.

Apologies may be butting in on Romans work.

Laurie

D

dubster72

This is coming together very well, even with the fit problems. I'm sure you'll work your usual magic Roman!

Cheers

Patrick

J

James Q

Looking very good, shame about the fit of that part though wouldn't expect that from Hasagawa

V

Vajled

My way of removing seam line from canopy... mybe will be helpfull to someone...

Also shame frome Hasegawa

I try all day to figure out what went wrong with this unfit part... but everything is on proper place... really mistery

and now I have stair on left and right side of that part... but never mind... looking good like also like that

Roman

M

mobear

roman roman roman that was a cool `what to do` and it shows us how easy it could be

mobear

V

Vajled

\ said:
roman roman roman that was a cool `what to do` and it shows us how easy it could bemobear
thx mobear...

I always try to do simple and get good result

Roman

V

Vajled

I had try to resolve step issue... hope I done it...

will se when I put primer how it looks... now is seems ok

Cheers

Roman

T

treyzx10r

Great tip on the canopy fix Roman ,thanks for sharing! Another beauty coming together !

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
\ said:
Also shame frome Hasegawa
Romane, that is no shame for Hasegawa. Canopy center line seam is unavoidable for certain complex shaped canopies, especially if the canopy is bulbous and looks like a greek letter Omega in cross-section. You have either a choice of seam-line that is quite easy to remove as you've explained or incorrect shape of canopy :D

instead of brushing Pronto/Klear/Future on clear parts I rather dip them in - the results is more even coverage and for sure no brush marks on the surface

V

Vajled

basic colors are up

RAF dark sea gray i RAF medium sea gray

Cheers

Roman

V

Vajled

ready for decaling :smiling3:

I have left some preshade details... this aircraft was pretty clean, and plan is to weathering it a bit and panel wash... will look just fine... like real thing :smiling3:

by the way... commont error what I had notice to other build is that Revell in instruction sheet gave that leading edges of the wings are painted in yellow,

but how I and we can see on real aircraft leading edges are in wing (upper or lower) color

Cheers

Roman

H

harrier-1973

I'm loving watching this build as the Harrier's been one of my favourites since childhood. Looking excellent so far Roman, as usual! :smiling3:

V

Vajled

exhaust are finished...

I'm waiting right now the coat of gloss to be dry how I can make panel wash and weathering...

In the moment work on gears, antenass, etc...

I think this is last WIP picture ... next will be in finished gallery...

Cheers,

Roman

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Great build Roman. Looking forward to those photos in the finished gallery.

Vaughan