Hasegawa 1/48 F-22A Raptor

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Thanks to hlj.com for sending me the Hasegawa 1/48 F-22A Raptor the retail price for this model is £56.99 but you make quite a good saving from hlj at about £41. this kit includes as a bonus etched brass parts to detail the exhausts but I was a little disappointed that it doesn't have photo-etched parts for the cockpit.

You also get a choice of canopy's, clear and smoked

Looking forward to building this, and if it ends looking somewhere near the shots below I will be more than happy.

Off to make a start :scooter:

View attachment 23334

View attachment 23335

View attachment 23336

View attachment 23337

View attachment 23338

View attachment 23339

View attachment 23340

View attachment 23341

P1030381..jpg

P1030380..jpg

P1030377..jpg

P1030375..jpg

P1030378..jpg

P1030374..jpg

P1030376..jpg

P1030379..jpg

C

Caledonia

Have been thinking of buying this kit, so your review was very timely, thanks. Another bug bear with this kit is the overstated radar absorbing material panel lines, which, if scaled up, would create enormous drag. I might just go for the Academy Kit - not sure.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi John,

It'd be much appreciated if you can keep us informed on this one - as and when you start of course - no pressure! I've always liked the F 22 but the only kit reviews I've seen for the other versions (Testor's et al) are not good. It would be nice if the quality of this one makes it worth buying!

Gern

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
It'd be much appreciated if you can keep us informed on this one
I'm making this one a build thread rather than just a review, that's why I've not wrote that much about it, I will be making a start on it at some point today, I've cleaned it all so ready to go.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmmm One of the few jet fighters that I like. Will be keeping an eye on this one.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Made a start, so far so good, the few bits I've done fit without a problem, I've never done a Hasegawa kit so can't say if it's the "norm" but the sprue's are laid out well and really easy to read, some kits the numbers aren't that easy to read and 23 isn't next to 24, but on this they are, but don't know about the sprue's I've not used, it might change.

Anyway got started on the cockpit, like I said was a little disappointed not to have photo-etch parts for this, I am going to look for some pictures to try and get some better colours as just black is a bit bland.

Sorry the pictures aren't that good my battery ran out and I had to use my old camera.

F

Fenlander

Not a bad cockpit though John. I do think, after building the FW190 cockpit with photo etch that, yes looks really nice, but maybe a little over rated especially as you cannot see most of it. A little tip I picked up for painting the 3D knobs and switches (remember PE is flat) is not to use a brush but use a cocktail stick with the sharp tip cut off. Dip this in a shallow paint, in the lid for example, and then 'stamp' the colour onto the knobs and switches rather than brushing. It does work.

I like the smoked canopy, looks very nice.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Cockpit finished and installed

The main & sub weapons bays finished and ready for painting

Nothing major so far, the bits fit well and I really like the Tamiya extra thin cement I got, it would be much easier if this was available in the UK, there's plenty people selling it on ebay

F

Flying Scottiedog

Hi John, if it is of any help on page two of general aircraft chat some weeks ago i posted exterior pictures of the FA22 in flight that had been sent to me.

I wish you all the best with your build as that is one i could not even think about doing and i look forward to seeing the finished kit.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Thanks Allan I will take a look at that

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Been a bit busy this week so not had much of a chance to do anything, hopefully this weekend I should get some more done.

Painted the weapon bays and a few other parts that needed it, I used the Xtracrylix FS17875 White in my airbrush, first time I've used this paint and it seemed to work fine, didn't need much thinning and sprayed really well, maybe white wasn't a good colour to use as my first test but it covered even.

I don't know if this part will be seen when finished or how it's going to look when I've done, but I've cut out the pipe lines with a scriber and started to replace it with Lionroar 0.2mm copper beams

Just waiting to see how the gator glue dries on it.

C

Caledonia

John, Coming along nicely, looking forward to following this one. Incidentally if you plan to go the whole hog with the painting, the Czech online company I referred to in my recent Sukhoi SU-33 'Under Construction' seems to stock the Super Mettalic paint. Cheers Derek

N

noble

John this is looking very nice so far, that cockpit looks nice and detailed, i've used the xtracrylics for my 190 build and they spray very nice Tony put me onto that one at the cosford show.

scott

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Thanks Derek I will check them out.

Scott, they are quite good for spraying with very little thinning and dry as a nice smooth gloss.

Finished installing everything inside the plane today, so far still no problems everything fit's exactly how it should do

I did notice on mine the rear tail looks like it's been bent and broke slightly, nothing I did it's how it came out of the box, I will have to cut it, fill it and sand it down.

I guess I spoke too soon, putting the two half's together was a bit of a pain, just one little bit won't quote meet, looks like the filler will be out again.

F

Fenlander

This is coming on well John. It does seem odd that a recent kit should have fit issues like that but it does make for an interesting, if frustrating, build.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
put it together and masked it, although still got a few bits to build before I start spraying

I think my eye's are failing me, I thought I had filled the bit on the wing until I took this picture looks like I need to do a little more.

The tip of the rear tail looks ok though

F

Fenlander

I think we sometimes forget how much bigger in real life these pictures show the kits on screen. I am doing a really small project at the moment and it looks OK until I see it 10" across on screen and the faults just jump out at me all the time. You have to judge by eye when you are building.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
It is a bit deceiving and does show up any flaws

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've not abandoned this build just been a bit busy this past couple of weeks.

Today I have built the landing gear, rockets and bomb bay doors and seen that's it's been a nice day I've been sat out primeing it all I must say I've not been one to prime before painting but I know a lot of people do so it can't do any harm giving a try

no pictures because I'm still sat outside using my iPhone and have just opened a can so not going to do any more today but plan to start painting tomorrow got to enjoy the weather while it's here don't get it that often.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I some times just take a few pictures after primer and before paint just to put them up on the screen. I have a good look at them. This avoids to much handling of the primed kit its self and as you have observed, makes it real easy to see the problem areas.

Looks like you are on top of things though.

Understand fully about enjoying the good weather. Me and the neigbour started on 80m2 of block paving in our driveways today. God my body aches!

Ian M