Have you seen this?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
We all know the problems about many acrylic primers, it seems that Phil Flory has found one that can be sanded half an hour after spraying and has decent adhesion when cured (without needing 48 hours or more to cure...)

Here is his review

Here is where you can buy it

http://www.barwellbodyworks-shop.com/144-primer-under-coat?

John - could you see if you can stock it for future reference?

seems to be a bit expensive but looks worth it. I have ordered a pack of three 120 mils..... bye-bye Vallejo Primer... My Me262 will be the last model using you and so far, due to the curing time needed surface prep has taken well over a week. Not any more.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I will be interested to hear how you get on with it.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I will let you know.

The video is a bit long but well worth persevering with.

D

dougie

Will have a look when WiFi is on cheers.

tbh after using zero primers on car bodies I may stick to lacquer style primers for everything, depends how I get on with the last of my Vallejo primer.

L

Laurie

Thanks Barry. Looked through the whole video. Long but worth every second.

First I would say that I have not had the roll up on Vallejo as Flory. I have always had good finishes.

But it does take 24 to 48 hours before you are able to wet and dry.

Vallejo also is very kind and does allow many over zealous ways of applying the primer. So I think that Phil Flory is not being as "kind" as he has indicated.

But if as he has shown then this is something special.

The main advantage, apart from drying time, is that if a getaway imperfection shows itself this stuff can be sanded wet and dry or dry. With Vallejo using Mr Surfacer after priming with Vellejo primer as a surface is not on. That means having to resort to other fillers. In my experience there is nothing to touch Mr Surfacer as it acts and finishes like the original plastic .

If the Stynylrez primer can take Mr Surfacer and the like then this must be the biggest break through in priming. If so good bye Vallejo (sorry).

Thanks again Barry. Plus Phil Flory is just the magician in video tutorials. Not seen better.

Laurie

PS a problem. Not available any where that I can find in the UK.

L

Laurie

Tut reread your piece Barry and it is available. Just going to order.

Laurie

Last edited:
L

Laurie

In the post. Pack of 3 colours. About 50% of options ie size colour are now out of stock.

C

Cooperman69

Like the look of this stuff and as it happens need some more primer. Looking at the pack of 3 colours.

Quick question before I buy some though. I take it the white primer is used for lighter shades of top coat like white and grey for everything else, but when would I need black primer?

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
In the post. Pack of 3 colours. About 50% of options ie size colour are now out of stock.
Let us know how you get on lads, I will probably stick with Vallejo for larger areas for now but this product would be good for quick painting and assembly of guns, gears and canopies etc

L

Laurie

\ said:
Like the look of this stuff and as it happens need some more primer. Looking at the pack of 3 colours.
Quick question before I buy some though. I take it the white primer is used for lighter shades of top coat like white and grey for everything else, but when would I need black primer?
Say a Lancaster Colin. also on the latest little Quad bikes there are a lot of black pieces. I airbrushed all these with black primer to be eventually a very dark grey top coat.

Laurie

View attachment 115167

4.jpg

C

Cooperman69

I thought the grey would be enough for a black top coat, especially the likes of Vallejo grey primer as I find that quite dark.

Anyone know what shade the of grey the Stynylrez primer is?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Colin. If you pre-shade then one way of doing it is to use the black primer as the main primer coat and to then spray the centre of panels with the grey primer. I find that easier than the more traditional grey with panel lines being sprayed black. It works well and have done it on many models to good effect.

L

Laurie

Well mine has just shipped Barry. Look forward to this as it does seem from Old Phil Flory that this is good stuff.

Finishing Quad Bikes this weekend "the stuff" will arrive just in time for my Apache Longbow.

Laurie

First Name
Dave
I use Alclad primers these days and am very impressed with then.This stuff looks really good.

First Name
Adrian
Just picked some up from the show in Birmingham will see if I get better results than the Vallejo I hate

Adrian

Why not to use something cheaper and probably more handy to use?

Why not to use this:

View attachment 115278

Have been using it for last two years or so and I'm more than happy with the results. 500ml is about 7 quid, lasts for 3-4 1/35 models and it's dry in 15 minutes.

Halfords%20Primer.jpg

L

Laurie

Bart does it sand as Phil Flory has shown almost immediately ? Never seen anything which will harden enough to take the brutal sanding in such short time.

The sanding is a huge step forward as I have not come across anything like it. It does mean secondary filling is enabled within 30 minutes, Plus it is airbrushed with full control over the thickness o paint and it's coverage

I like you with Halfords have been a great fan of Vallejo primer. But the eating of the pudding could be the proof that is needed. :eek:

Laurie

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Why not to use something cheaper and probably more handy to use?
Why not to use this:

View attachment 126456

Have been using it for last two years or so and I'm more than happy with the results. 500ml is about 7 quid, lasts for 3-4 1/35 models and it's dry in 15 minutes.
Yes its very good and I use the grey white or black as needed for mass coverage, but if you want accurate coverage you can't beat using a primer through an A/B.

Adrian

S

Stevekir

I will be using Tamiya Synthetic Lacquer again (solvent is Cellulose Thinners), this time for my truck. I have asked Barwellbodyworks whether it is suitable under that. I will report their reply.

L

Laurie

Some more information plus reviews of the product. So far not heard any bad things only amazement at how good the stuff is.

Not heard yet about using Mr Hobby fillers over the top or how other paints adhere.

Badger in their blurb mention 24 hours for full cure. All the reviewers seem to be with 15mins to 39 mins.

Also Badger mention a .5 brush. Below uses a .3 and another thins presumably water being water based primer.

Laurie

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/PDF/STYNYLREZflyer.pdf

http://jayadan.com/blog/2014/5/15/stynylrez-review-update

http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/new-badger-primers-stynylrez