Head worn magnifiers - any tips on what to buy?

First Name
Aidan
As my eyes age and my sight isn't what it used to be, I have decided to look at magnification aids to help.

I have thought first of headband magnifiers. Having both hands free seems to be a good idea but I will investigate other types such as table-mounted ones as well.

I generally make kits from the major manufacturers and the scales that they are produced in.

I would like to hear about what magnifiers forum members use and your recommendation as to what magnification is best for model making.

Thanks in anticipation.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Firstly have you had an eye test, getting glasses at the right prescription was the biggest help I've ever had in the hobby, one less kit a year pays for a regular eye test and pair of glasses (Cheapest in the shop.). We do get long sighted as we age.

I do use a magnifier and I prefer head bands to desk mounted. I would rather move a subject to me than me towards the subject. YMMV
I have a proper Optivisor, though not cheap they are comfortable and well made, I got one after being frustrated by a magnifier lamp. I wear them positioned so I can easily look under them or through them.
Don't think higher magnification is better, with a single lens the focal length and magnification are fixed, anything more than a 2.0 or 2.5 and you'll be working so close that you'll not to be able to actually do any work.
Also make sure you get a glass lens, won't get screwed up by glue then. easy to clean paint off etc etc.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
To endorse and add to Karls post.

I would recommend an Optivisor. Make certain you invest in the genuine Donegan product - made in USA. that will have optical glass lenses and be better made and comfortable to wear. Don't be tempted by a Chinese copy. The best lens for modelling is the DA-5 which has 2.5X magnification and a focal length of 8 inches. Don't be tempted to buy a higher magnification as that will reduce the lens to object distance to under 8 inches and you will find a paintbrush etc will touch the lens.
I consider mine perhaps the best investment I have made for the hobby.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Firstly have you had an eye test, getting glasses at the right prescription was the biggest help I've ever had in the hobby, one less kit a year pays for a regular eye test and pair of glasses (Cheapest in the shop.). We do get long sighted as we age.

I do use a magnifier and I prefer head bands to desk mounted. I would rather move a subject to me than me towards the subject. YMMV
I have a proper Optivisor, though not cheap they are comfortable and well made, I got one after being frustrated by a magnifier lamp. I wear them positioned so I can easily look under them or through them.
Don't think higher magnification is better, with a single lens the focal length and magnification are fixed, anything more than a 2.0 or 2.5 and you'll be working so close that you'll not to be able to actually do any work.
Also make sure you get a glass lens, won't get screwed up by glue then. easy to clean paint off etc etc.

I bought a cheapo headset some years ago. The two lenses had different levels of magnification which was a real PITA as I had to keep moving both my head and what I was looking at to get the best focus. Make sure the lenses are both the same.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I bought a cheapo headset some years ago. The two lenses had different levels of magnification which was a real PITA as I had to keep moving both my head and what I was looking at to get the best focus. Make sure the lenses are both the same.
You definitely get what you pay for with lenses, I always remember going on holiday with a girl who bought cheap sunglasses, after two days of her tripping over every other curb I treated her to a decent pair.
Cheaper lenses will do the job in the centre, quality lenses will do the job over the whole lens. (Well nearly the whole lens but we'll not open that debate.)

First Name
Aidan

Thanks for your reply, Karl.

Yes, sound advice about the eye test. I have an annual test but probably don't have the need for a new prescription each year.

I had a quick look at the Optivisor and "ouch" I saw the cost. However, you get what you pay for! I will poke around on the internet to see if there is a glass-lensed alternative at a lower price to start with.

First Name
Aidan
To endorse and add to Karls post.

I would recommend an Optivisor. Make certain you invest in the genuine Donegan product - made in USA. that will have optical glass lenses and be better made and comfortable to wear. Don't be tempted by a Chinese copy. The best lens for modelling is the DA-5 which has 2.5X magnification and a focal length of 8 inches. Don't be tempted to buy a higher magnification as that will reduce the lens to object distance to under 8 inches and you will find a paintbrush etc will touch the lens.
I consider mine perhaps the best investment I have made for the hobby.
Thanks for your reply, Jim. The votes for Optivisor seem to be stacking up! I will investigate the DA-5.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Thanks for your reply, Karl.

Yes, sound advice about the eye test. I have an annual test but probably don't have the need for a new prescription each year.

I had a quick look at the Optivisor and "ouch" I saw the cost. However, you get what you pay for! I will poke around on the internet to see if there is a glass-lensed alternative at a lower price to start with.
Compare the cost to a premium kit, or a decent airbrush, then work out how much use you'll get.
I'll admit it did take me a while to get used to using it, but it now hangs on my lamp and not a build has me not putting it on my head.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I will poke around on the internet to see if there is a glass-lensed alternative at a lower price to start with.
There are but if the lens is not optically perfect you'll get distortion and find it difficult to use. Dave found just that problem. Karl's right - it's money well spent.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
lots of good advice there,the Donegan optivisor is great, I've had mine for years,and it's a "Must have on" now for all of my builds too,like Karl said.
Mine has no light,so I bought one of these last year......
s-l1600.jpg
Both are excellent, they'll last you for years,so it's worth spending the money :smiling3:

First Name
Bill
I was given a tip on another forum which worked for me.
Book an eye test and take a piece of a kit with small detail on it and ask for a prescription which makes it clearest at your working distance. I was expecting derision from the optician but she was quite happy to do this, apparently crafting prescriptions are quite common.

I bought my glasses online for £15 and they are great, I wear them all the time when modelling. I have to remove them when not as they are only for close up work.
I also have a genuine Optivisor which I use over the glasses when greater magnification is required.

Bill

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Rare vote for desk magnifier+lamp here. There are unquestionably issues with the paintbrush and magnifier coming together in unhelpful ways, but you can manage these (I do, anyway, and I'm doing lots of miniature figure painting).
20221030_124431.jpg
Mine cost about £130(!), but I love it. 2.5x lens, with detail lens 'button' @ 6x and a ring of daylight led lights. Works a treat. Mine is from Cambridge Optics, who also have a dizzying(ly expensive) range of hands-free magnifiers - here.

I've never used an Optivisor, but I'm sure they're excellent, too. And lots cheaper than my set-up, if that makes the outlay easier for you to bear!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Donegan optivisor all the way. Light, comfortable, and doesn’t slip when in use….I’ve also got a pair of those that Andy has, they are more cumbersome and slip in my experience. OK for occasional use away from home (they pack up very small), but not in the same league as the Donegan product. If you want something different, this place is worth a good look….if they don’t have it, it probably don’t exist :tongue-out3:

Last edited:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Get an optivisor, had one for years, took of the little light and just use the one set of lens. But I would book yourself in for an eye test first.... And the best advice i can give is remember to take them off before walking around the house, trying to laugh off the black eye does not work, trust me.

First Name
Noel
The Optivisor is a good accessory, but like most head band mounted magnifiers protrude out quite a bit. An alternative is the various strength reading spectacles obtainable at most chemists and other outlets. More comfortable to wear and no chance of catching the end of a paint brush on them

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I keep thinking about investing in an optiviser, but the cheap reading glasses at 2.5 do the job well enough for me most of the time. I have also been known to use my headtorch from my hiking kit if a little extra illumination is needed.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
after having my chaterachts treated I invested in a pair of bi-focals specially for modelling. The 'top half is for general, long vision while the lower section are magnifying lenses.

i took a bust into the opticians to show my comfortable painting distance and each of the magnifying lenses is set to that focus point.

the pair work really well.

Peter

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've had to go for a large desk magnifier at 1. 75 with light. Two desk lights , one of which is on a arm and an optivisor such as Mr Smith showed . Found d the highest lens at 3.5 too strong for anytime over 5 mins , so have the 2.5 in most of the time . Often find the desk set up to be enough to do most stuff . Only having one good eye is a hindrance as I have limited depth of field . Trying to get a paint brush sleeve on with out messing the bristle is NOT fun I can assure you .

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I work almost all the time in brail scail(as they like to call it) usually to a chorus of couldn't do that way to small its not seeing that makes it hard its handling some of the parts that's a challenge but all part of the fun.
Karl and Banjer have hit the nail on the head go to the optician and get a decent pair of reading glasses if you've got reading glasses and need a opti whatever their no good , there not working at the distance they've been made for ,as they said show the optician what there needed for they can tweek them just that little bit more mine did when you go to collect them and they sit you at the desk (your work bench)and ask you to read from the card hold it at reading/working distance if any good even the top paragraph the smallest one should be pin sharp or as the boys said take some parts with you big and small if your not happy tell them your paying.
Make sure you pick some frames that dont slip down your nose all the time thoes lovingly crafted lenses are built to perform best at a set distance from your eyes.
Good lighting is essential also I use a sheet of printer paper over the cutting matt it out lines what your working with much better than the usual cutting matt green plus I bought myself a posh one as a treat grey one side black the other seemed a shame to cover it in assorted glues.
Honest a proper pair of glasses will give you a shock as to what you've been missing. Dave

tony b

SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
If you have a local hobbycraft, it could be worth a look, they sell a head mounted magnifier cum LED light at
a reasonable price, I've just got one and it works a treat. I think a good light is as inportant as a magnifier.
I've managed to break the sides on the spectacle type, twice, maybe I'm just hamfisted.
Hope this helps.
Tony. B.