Hello all…after some beginners advice!

First Name
Chris
Hello all. Literally brand new to this hobby. Decided a few weeks ago I’d like to get into building model motorbikes so I’ve gone ahead and bought a few Tamiya kits.

I’m slowly building up the required tools etc and spend most of my days watching videos online.

Just trying to get my head around the actual build and how to plan and prepare for it. Most parts need painting so do I paint them prior to fitting or fit and mask the relevant parts?

Any other advice and guidance is more than welcome!

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
It takes a few goes to get the hang of building sub assemblies and painting what when.
I've only built one bike but if you think about the 1/1 version, engine, chasis, swing arm, forks and fairings are all bought together at the end.

First Name
Chris
Yes that makes sense, will be lots of trial and error no doubt. Looking forward to having a go just want to make sure I don’t make any major mistakes.

Would you prime anything that’s being painted regardless?

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi welcome to the forum, i would suggest going to the civilian vehicle section and having a read through some of the build blogs, i think you will find them helpfull as there are some excellent bike builders here.

First Name
Chris
Thanks for the heads up, just had a look and some builds on there which will come in very handy I think!

PaulTRose

Survivor
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Welcome....I love bike kits....which one are you planning to do first?

Best way is to make sub assemblys......engine ..tank....etc........I always end up with all the bits painted them it's final assemble

First Name
Chris
Welcome....I love bike kits....which one are you planning to do first?

Best way is to make sub assemblys......engine ..tank....etc........I always end up with all the bits painted them it's final assemble
I’ve ordered both not sure which one to tackle first. I’m not going to rush anything and still need to get the paint / primer and thinners so still a lot more to get!

Attachments

• 3EF1BBB7-7DFB-4AC5-B786-99C85D4F7528.jpeg
    3EF1BBB7-7DFB-4AC5-B786-99C85D4F7528.jpeg
    645.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 5BEC7402-2885-44ED-B1B4-1E13D935F91C.jpeg
    5BEC7402-2885-44ED-B1B4-1E13D935F91C.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 8

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN WELCOME Chris to our forum i dont build bike as im a floaty guy but i would think it best to prime an paint parts before assembly
chrisb

First Name
Chris
The Kat is a lot easier than the Honda cos of the decals......the kat, cb750 and virago are perfect first bike kits........I once did one with rattle cans to prove I could
Then the kat will be my first build I think! It’ll be my first time airbrushing so im not expecting a lot!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Chris , there's some top notch bike builders on here.Like Paul said look up at some builds .

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Hello and welcome iv built a few bike kits, what i tend to do is flick through the whole build see where the hard bits are or anything I'm not sure off, good thing for you is its a tamiya kit and these tend to go together very well, next step for me is to cut out the parts for section 1 clean these up remove mould lines and any lumps or bumps once i get these done i will put the parts of the same colour together and prime this will highlight any issues, if your happy air brush or rattle can (face mask, extraction ventilation required) repeat repeat & repeat body work fairings and the like i sometimes bond at the start of a build fill where required and paint this gives them time to harden before you need them or before you add decals saves on Finger prints tooo
but don't be hard on your self, the you tubers are beyond good… they turn out fantastic builds not just bikes, its a learning curve for most of us and most importantly its for your enjoyment great thing about this site is all the help & everyone is friendly and not critical none of us build perfectly
any question ask away some one will always be willing to advise
My first build (12 years ago) alway worth keeping as a reminder of where you started and how far you have come it was hand painted (badly) but i think im getting the hang of it now
806A4561-87C3-4EC7-B304-47DA6582EA5A.jpeg
Simon

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
just want to make sure I don’t make any major mistakes.
Well, you’ve got Tamiya kits, so the fit of the parts should be very good and if you just follow the instructions you can’t really go wrong. However, don’t think you won’t make any mistakes — assume that you will a some point, and see them as opportunities to learn how not to do it :smiling3: It’s the same as with everything else: you have to start at the beginning and won’t make the perfect model right away (or ever, for that matter) but you’ll improve with each one.

The main thing to aim for, IMHO, is that you’re happy with the result, and if you’re not, that you at least learn from it how to do it better on the next one — as well as how to live with things you feel you could have done better :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
welcome to the forum - you'll find a lot of advice and tips here & a fair few bike modellers - at least one being blogged at the moment. Any questions on techniques etc., ask away, there is a really wide range of knowledgable members & someone will know the answer, or know where to find it.
Above all enjoy yourself, and don't get downhearted if things don't turn out as you hoped - I still make cock ups despite 50+ years of modelmaking! One way to get useful hints & tips is to do a blog of a build, with pictures - there's no nasty comments on here!
Dave

First Name
Chris
Chris,
welcome to the forum - you'll find a lot of advice and tips here & a fair few bike modellers - at least one being blogged at the moment. Any questions on techniques etc., ask away, there is a really wide range of knowledgable members & someone will know the answer, or know where to find it.
Above all enjoy yourself, and don't get downhearted if things don't turn out as you hoped - I still make cock ups despite 50+ years of modelmaking! One way to get useful hints & tips is to do a blog of a build, with pictures - there's no nasty comments on here!
Dave

Thanks for the advice! I’m slowly building up what I need and the model arrived this morning.

Plenty of research on here before I start I think, some of the builds on the bike section look amazing.

I’m always guilty of jumping into things quickly but can see from the onset that this is a take your time hobby!