Hello from Wagga

Cogez88

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jordan
Hi everyone,

I'm a relatively new scale modeler, and I'm enjoying the challenge of learning how to create realistic models.

I've recently finished the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall Trabant set, and my 5yo son and I completed an Airfix-brand tank set. Now I'm working on the Revell Horton Go 229 set, and I've been having a lot of fun with the details. I've learned a lot about how to assemble and paint the model, and I'm happy with how it's turning out so far, although I've got questions!! My son and I are working on a little Millenium Falcon, which has been fun - painting the details is fiddly, but good practice for us both. I've put up some pictures so you can see where we're at.

I've also made some mistakes along the way. For example, I glued the Trabant steering wheel on 90 degrees down and had to separate it and re-do it. And I didn't test fit the major parts before I assembled everything, and it wouldn't fit together neatly.

I'm not afraid to admit my mistakes, and I'm actually glad that I made them. I learned a lot from them, and I'm a better modeler because of them. I'm hoping that some of the more experienced modelers on this forum can give me some tips on how to improve my skills. I'm particularly interested in learning how to create get the 1%-ers right... like the big gap in the bonnet of the Trabant, or getting the chrome pieces to sit nicely!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Cogez88

Attachments

• IMG_0809.jpg
    IMG_0809.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0811.jpg
    IMG_0811.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 18

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dare I say it?
G'day mate. Welcome to the forum.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome Jordan looks like your off to a good start ,rember its your model you do it your way for your own(son included) enjoyment/pleasure its good to see what other people are doing but remember most have been doing it a long time the quickest exit from this fabulous hobby is to start comparing your work to other peoples just enjoy what your doing and ride the learning curve.
Saying that ,with a Harry Potter esc quote ,Scale Models will always offer help to thoes that need it , so please ask every one here will chip in you've come to the right place. Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jordan,
welcome to the forum. Off tp a good start - good to see that you're not diving into really complex models yet! It's better to make mistakes on simpler models before risking expensive ones. You'll find a helpful and friendly lot here - any questions, fire away. No question is stupid, if you don't know the answer!!! All genres appear on the forum, so whatever you build, you'll find like minded modellers
Cheers,
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome Jordan, It's good to see that you and your Son have a common interest in modeling. Any questions you might have just ask away, someone will have an answer for you. And by all means, have fun! ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome Jordan

I got back into the hobby after a 25+ year break when my then 6yo son decided he wanted a kit.... The rest as they say it's history!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome to the forum, Jordan.

Those who never made mistakes, never made anything!

Enjoy your time with us. You and your son have fun building your models to your own standard.
As long as you are happy with the end result, that is all that matters. Just have fun! ..... ;)

Ron

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A warm welcome to a very friendly and helpful forum. I am sure you'll enjoy your time here.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Welcome Jordan from a long time member (11 years) so it can't be all that bad

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Welcome to the forum mate. Don't worry about the bonnet on the Trabbie, they didn't fit properly on the real ones.
Pete

Cogez88

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jordan
Welcome to the forum mate. Don't worry about the bonnet on the Trabbie, they didn't fit properly on the real ones.
Pete
Hahaha that's what I thought! I just went for added realism, dodgily assembled just like the real thing:p

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome Jordan. You’ll like it here, no egos and plenty of help. Just as it should be ;) Say hi to your son for us as well:thumb2: