Hello

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Welcome to the madhouse Dave, worry not about mistakes and errors, we all make them.. dive right in and make yourself at home..

Sunburst Finish

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks all for the welcome.

Tim, it’s an American Standard, bought it new in ‘97 although it’s a ‘96 serial number. I put a Calaman block in it and Graphtec nut and string trees, other than that it’s stock.

I play anything, classical through to metal. I taught guitar for a living after I left the mob in ‘96 so you have to be a jack of all trades. I retired a couple of years ago. Still play and do a bit of composing. Have trimmed the collection down to seven guitars and three amps now which I’ve convinced the wife I can’t possibly do without.

It’s a bit like a modeller’s stash really…

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
welcome to the forum - it doesn't matter about making mistakes - as long as you enjoy yourself & learn not to make them again! Loads of pracrical advice on techniques and what to try/not try - all you have to do is ask. No sarky comments or backbiting - we're civilised here ( although I have doubts about certain members ;) )
Dave
(mr Ward) you hurt me dave hurt me real bad:tongue-out3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A warm welcome from me too Dave,
The Mustang you've chosen is a great model for returning to the hobby :thumb2:,
I also like to build both aircraft and AFVs, it's nice to have the mix of challenges imho :hugging-face:.
Look forward to seeing you around the parish,
Andy
(BTW,Steve,(Airborne 01), isn't an "EX Pongo"..... just an "EX"!! ;):tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks all for the welcome.

Tim, it’s an American Standard, bought it new in ‘97 although it’s a ‘96 serial number. I put a Calaman block in it and Graphtec nut and string trees, other than that it’s stock.

I play anything, classical through to metal. I taught guitar for a living after I left the mob in ‘96 so you have to be a jack of all trades. I retired a couple of years ago. Still play and do a bit of composing. Have trimmed the collection down to seven guitars and three amps now which I’ve convinced the wife I can’t possibly do without.

It’s a bit like a modeller’s stash really…
Yep, I can relate to that. Never been that good though. I’ve noodled about for quite a few years now and am down to three amps, (one gig, one practice and one back up), three electrics, two acoustics, a CBG, a mandolin and a banjo (neither of which I play much anymore). I was on the cusp of giving it all up when I got a call out of the blue to join a band in the spring. Now back to playing blues in the South Somerset/North Dorset area……

Sunburst Finish

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yep, I can relate to that. Never been that good though. I’ve noodled about for quite a few years now and am down to three amps, (one gig, one practice and one back up), three electrics, two acoustics, a CBG, a mandolin and a banjo (neither of which I play much anymore). I was on the cusp of giving it all up when I got a call out of the blue to join a band in the spring. Now back to playing blues in the South Somerset/North Dorset area……
What gigging amp do you use? I bought a Hot Rod Deluxe in '99 and never used anything else for gigging after that. Brilliant amp, and doesn't require Charles Atlas muscles to lug it about!!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Welcome Dave come on in and enjoy the forum.
I play several instruments from piano to the big harp, only problem is that everyone else does not play the same chords as me and in the same sequence... (Thankyou Eric Morcambe, Sir).

Sunburst Finish

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Welcome Dave come on in and enjoy the forum.
I play several instruments from piano to the big harp, only problem is that everyone else does not play the same chords as me and in the same sequence... (Thankyou Eric Morcambe, Sir).
Funny you mentioning harps and your Groucho avatar, it was listening to Harpo playing in those old films that got me into music. I have a Harpo number on Apple Music and everytime I listen to it I say a silent thank you.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Funny you mentioning harps and your Groucho avatar, it was listening to Harpo playing in those old films that got me into music. I have a Harpo number on Apple Music and everytime I listen to it I say a silent thank you.
Got a collection of their movies on dvd, the wife throws a fit even if I mention getting them out of the cupboard - sense of humour of a brick, unless I hit my thumb with a hammer....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What gigging amp do you use? I bought a Hot Rod Deluxe in '99 and never used anything else for gigging after that. Brilliant amp, and doesn't require Charles Atlas muscles to lug it about!!
Well, back in the early 2010s I was a lot fitter and stronger, and playing in a rock and punk covers band. I needed a good flexible amp to replace an aging Crate VC 30 (great sound but uncontrollably loud) so bought a Blackstar S1-45 combo. Very flexible, great sound, extremely controllable output, but as heavy as hell…..even with wheels and two side handles it is a real lump. I should have bought a cab and head….but played it in a shop and loved it…..heart over head it was…..served me very well over the years though.
Bit much for me now really, nearly kills me getting it to gigs and back, so I’m considering trading it for one of the Fender tonemaster digital range. I’m not a great one for pedals, so a good basic blues sound with reverb would suit me these days.