Help making and applying a wash.

B

Brian'sUsername

Hello, I am new to the forum and am eager to get started. I have been making models for a few years with no outside help, and am only 14 years old.

Lately I have been trying to improve my modeling skills (obvisouly) and have been trying to figure out a wash. I made it using black acrylic paint and water, and got it to about the consistency of milk. When i apply it to any model with indented panel lines, it looks fine but as soon i wipe it off, it all comes off, not just that wich isn't in the panel lines. I use toilet paper to wipe it off.

I have been researching on the internet and cant figure out what im doing wrong, so please help. Thanks.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Brian ? Welcome to the forum. May be a daft question but did you let the wash dry before wiping it of

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hej Brian and welcome.

I would just like to ask what type of paint you are using to paint the model with as this has a great effect as to what you can make a wash from.

One thing that is a safe bet is artists oil paints. You need to thin it well with turpentine or white spirit ( don't know what its called your side of the pond, sorry) I can tell you that it smells.

If you only want to pick out the panel lines, use a very thin brush and apply a drop of the wash into the groove. The wash, if thin enough, will run up the groove. Repeat as required to fill all the lines. This is what is called a pin wash.

If you want an all over wash to bring things down a bit, make it look dirty and (ab)used make the wash a tinny bit thicker and with a wide flat brush, paint it over the entire model and let it ALMOST dry off. Then with a soft cloth (old T-shirts are good) gently wipe the excess off until you are happy. Wipe across the grooves to preserve the wash IN the groove. Wipe along the groove to remove it. Change the cloth often.

Hope you get what I mean.

Ian M

B

Brian'sUsername

Ian M: I am using some all-purpose acrylic paint i found laying around the house. I think i understand what you mean, although where would you suggest i get the "artist oil paints"?

Last edited:
D

dubster72

Hi Brian & welcome!

Ian's explanation is an excellent & concise guide to applying a wash!

The only point's I'd add are that a gloss surface is much better for allowing the wash to flow along the panel lines.

The other thing is that a wash need not be a one-time-only event. If the first one isn't as good as you like, go at it again!

Lastly a good ratio for a wash is 5% paint to 95% thinner, but anywhere around that will be fine.

Oil paints can be obtained from any art store. I use Windsor & Newton and their quality is excellent. The beauty of oils is their flexibility. Even when dry, you'll still be able to tidy up any overspill with a cotton bud / q-tip moistened with turpentine etc.

Cheers

Patrick

B

Brian'sUsername

Thank you! I will work on rounding up all the materials i need and give it a try. Thanks for all the help.

Brian

C

CDW

if i use an arcylic wash i use a 10% paint to 90% water (good artist quality paints as it's finer and not so bitty) when almost dry i take a damp, stiff, natural haired artists brush and wipe off what i dont need. (clean brush and dry off as required to stop smudging and too much blending)

If using oils then follow Patircks advice above

B

Brian'sUsername

Ok, so i grabbed my first ever model (P-51 mustang, excuse the poor build quality), made a wash like suggested above and gave it a go. Here is a picture. Please leave any tips or suggestions you might have. Also, sorry about the camera quality. I took it on my iPod but will work on getting a better camera.

View attachment 45501

View attachment 48588

IMG_0816.jpg