Help needed 4x4 civilian vehicles in 1:35th scale

T

tommy1drop

Hi Guys

I`m after a little help, I am thinking of building a dio using a Land rover or similar civilian modern vehicle, I have seen the Toyota pick ups by Meng models, but i`m not sure if that is what i am after.

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can get any Land rover type vehicles in 1:35th scale(civilian) not army, the reason for this is because of the scene i am trying to emulate in the diorama.

Any help or pointers in the right direction will be more than helpful.

Tom

P

Polux

Hi Tom!

Civil Land Rover to scale 1/35 is not very habitual. There are many people use Tamiya's base (pink panther/ambulance) to create different Land Rover, but this implies scratch build. Probably the best option is the reference LR012 of Accurate Armour, a land Rover series III hard top, very simply to turn in civilian.

The Land Rover (82448 Hobby Boss) is very interesting and complete. It is possible to take off the hard top from him, leave his protections and cover with canvas... Very interesting and nice Defender 110 turned to Soft top.

I will like so much to see this diorama!!

Have fun, and hope this help you!!

Cheers

Polux

T

tommy1drop

Hi Polux

Its starting to look as if i may have to scratch build what i am after, the suggestions you made are fantastic and i am torn between getting myself either a Tamiya pink panther or the new offering from Hobby boss.

Any suggestion on what you think would be the best of the two Land rovers?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Tom

P

Polux

Hi Tom!!

I think the best option is the Hobby Boss.

Tamiya's Land Rover is very good, but it is an ancient version and does not have doors (I detest, sorry, when they paint it green and say " now it is a civilian Land Rover... ") it implies that it is necessary to do Scratch build, though in that of Hobby Boss also. It is my opinion, I put the thread and even I have not begun with it (I have to finish before any more begun kits), it seems to me very good and with great detail.

I have published a few photos for possible ideas... I wait are Ok!!!

If you need more information or help, I will be extremely happy to help you!!!

Regards Polux

View attachment 46288View attachment 46289View attachment 46290View attachment 46291View attachment 46292

View attachment 49322

View attachment 49323

View attachment 49324

View attachment 49325

View attachment 49326

images.jpg

images1.jpg

images2.jpg

images3.jpg

images4.jpg

T

tommy1drop

Great pics Polux, I think i will treat myself to the Hobby boss version, as you have stated the Tamiya version does not have any doors.

And based on what i am thinking of building in the dio, I think it would look a lot better to represent a vehicle that is modern looking, so it I think it will definitely be the defender.

Tom

P

Polux

Hi Tom, hope you have lucky with it.

I wait not to be mistaken with my criterion and youlikes the Land Rover of Hobby Boss.

Importantly: in the wings there are a few interior booths with a few doors. It is indispensable to cover these hollows and to make the set straight!!! They are for the auxiliary deposits, and the civil vehicles do not take it. To be attentive to the posterior lights, the military car has some light more that it is necessary to suppress.

Best regards

Polux

First Name
Drew
Revell also do a 4x4 vehicle in 1/35. It's called a Wolf, in use with the German and Dutch armies but it can be built like a civilian model (that's what I used it for). I built one and it went together pretty easily.

If I remember correctly there's also a Chinese one just recently released. Sorry, can't remember the name of it or the manufacturer (although I'm sure if you look up the Chinese army equipment in Wikipedia you'd be able to work it out).

C

CDW

There's the Hobby Boss Chinese Meng Shi 1.5 ton Military Light Utility Vehicle (Model: 82467) .... and ... Hobby Boss Chinese BJ2022JC Yong Shi (Model: 82466) available. both around the £20 mark

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And there are those that have Humve as a private car. Why they have them is beyond me...

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking at it another way, depending on what you have planed that is; would it be easier to go 1/32 for the car and settle for the small difference in scales. Either that or go 1/24 and then have fun finding the figures....

I to have a plane that will involve civilian cars, but thats a long way off yet.

Ian M

T

tommy1drop

Hi Ian

I would prefer to stick with the 1:35th scale for the time being, but its not to say i might have to start looking at 1:32 nd scale.

Drew i never thought of looking art the Revell 4x4, that might well be the answer, its not a bad looking kit either, Colin thanks for the info on the Chinese 4x4, but i think i will opt for a european vehicle, as the dio is based in europe.

Guys thank you all for your input on this, i really do appreciate the wealth of info on this forum!

Tom

First Name
Drew
Only issue I found with the Wolf is that there is no option for open doors (you could do it yourself but would require some pretty major surgery). It also has the option of open or closed soft top which could also make it look more civilian.

T

tommy1drop

Hi Drew

Thanks for that, how did you find the kit, was it an easy build, and did it build into a nice looking vehicle when finished.

I have to admit that i am now seriously thinking of opting for the Wolf, oh........i dont know, confusing isnt the word, its going to be a toss up now for either the Wolf or the Hobby boss defender, both look nice, and both will equally look good in the planned dio.

Tom

P

Polux

Tom, you has me very puzzled with this diorama!!!

There is some reference!!!??? It's a secret???

It will be a disadvantage for my ... does you know it?? When I starts seeing your Land Rover, it will approach the envy!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers

Polux

A

AJay

Just found this but noticed you only want 1/35.......

ESCI 1/24 SCALE LWB 109 LAND ROVER (UNMADE PLASTIC MODEL KIT) | eBay

and maybe some inspiration:

http://www.modelkit.org/index.php?do=/danielpras/photo/view/old-land-rover-series-ii-1-35-modified-from-land-rover-ambulance-tamiya-31/

T

tommy1drop

Hi Polux no its not a secret mate, I have seen a pic that i really like, it involves a 4x4 vehicle(in the background) and several people digging in a woodland somewhere in europe, they are digging in a woodland that was in fact an area that was held by a German unit(ss).

I have only seen the picture once, but it has stuck in my mind, and its something that i wouldnt mind building, its different from the normal stuff i normally build, and in the pic it clearly shows several people digging for artifacts from the battle that took place in the woodlands, it also involves a modern day 4x4, as one is seen in the background in the picture with several items clearly dug up awaiting to be placed in the back of the vehicle.

Tom

T

tommy1drop

Hi Alex thank you for those links, the second one is fantastic, that Land Rover is superb, once again thank you.

Tom

C

CDW

I had the same idea as Polux .... is this a secret build??? :smiling3: ...

Now you explained it all i'm intrigued to see it come together (have a huge interest in palaeontology/archaeology and used to go on digs) .... sounds so simple yet there could be so much detail in the diorama.

You need to keep us all updated on this one Tom :smiling3:

T

tommy1drop

Hi Colin will do, I just have to get the bits and bobs together first, I have already cut the base board, just got to work out the lay out, but i am looking forward to this myself.

Tom

First Name
Drew
Yes, the Wolf went together pretty easily, no real problems. There are photos of it in my gallery in the War on Terror dio (just ignore the paint work – I had just returned to modelling at the time). Like you I wanted a civilian vehicle and was having a hard time finding one, it was the only vehicle available at the time that could be used as a civilian model. If I was to go back and do it again I’d probably still go with the Wolf but only because it looked right for the dio I was building at the time.

Good luck with your dio...