Help needed with long grass for dio.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi guys. I have an idea for a dio and I need something to use as long grass for 28mm figures. I vaguely remember someone using deer hair for this. Am I right, and if so, does anyone know where I can get some from?

I had thought of using the static grass sold by companies like Woodland Scenics but I need quite a lot (an area about 375mm x 225mm - 15" x 9" in old money) and I'd have to buy the applicator as well so that could be quite expensive.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Never thought of deer hair but it is rather stiff and would hold up to paint, I myself could gather loads of it and I am looking for some tall grass for my current dio. All I would need to do is go a hundred yards or so into the woods and find last seasons kills carcasses ( if the scavengers haven't scattered them to the winds yet) What a great idea! Weather wet at the moment but in a day or two I'll venture out and see what I can find and will post how it may be working out. If you know someone or know someone who knows someone :S  who hunts there may be a chance for you to gather some. My thought before reading the deer hair idea was to take a new house painting brush and cut hairs from that...........Jim :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Faux fur is really good for longer grass Dave. You can buy it from craft shops etc.

Get some in a light tan colour (often described as honey) & colour it with acrylic paint. I use the cheap stuff from a Poundshop.

The best way to apply the paint is with your fingers. Messy, but it stops the fibres sticking together.

Most fur comes in a range of pile lengths. For waist high grass on 28mm figures you'll be looking at 15-16mm pile.

I've got some that I've made for an on going dio, so if pics would help, let me know.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
worked fine for me as well ,Steve,

and with the lefted over hair you can make  mouse, :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use old paint brushes. Not moddeling ones, "propper" ones like what you paint walls with. These have the bonus of the bunches of hairs are normally well stuck together and you can cut tufts off and plonk them in drilled holes. They do paint up well and the sandy coloured ones are pretty good unpainted for dried grass.

D

dubster72

I use old paint brushes. Not moddeling ones, "propper" ones like what you paint walls with. These have the bonus of the bunches of hairs are normally well stuck together and you can cut tufts off and plonk them in drilled holes. They do paint up well and the sandy coloured ones are pretty good unpainted for dried grass.

That would take a lot of old brushes to cover over 800cm²!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A couple of whitewash brushes screwed and glued together....... lol
I normally use them for tufts of grass or reeds...so you might have a good point there Patrick.

F

Fenlander

Yep, the Faux Fur is really good once you get the hang of it.  Trick is to chop at it, when coloured with acrylic paint or poster paint, with scissors at a steep angle to vary the length.  Done quite roughly, this will give a natural look.  It can then be dusted with an airbrush to lighten areas and, especially, the tips.

Not a great example but this is one I did a few years back. (Sorry for crap photo)

image.jpeg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that turned out great Graham,you can see the different tone,and lengths with it,very well done, :D