help with air Compresser

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi all call on your info for getting 1st airbrush and compressor with the bigger scale,

and do you need a compressor with an air tank ? as the diffance is about $100 to $200

for one with a tank

or just the compresser

i did read some were that with the airgun its better to have a .35 or .4 needle nozzle

Moni

T

tecdes

Hi Moni.

I use a .35 & a .4 this is for Vallejo Acrylics. Seems that most use these sizes from the writings on here.

Best with a tank as you get a much smoother air flow. Best 3l tank up.

Think if you look Moni you will find that a tank is probably only £10 to £15 more on the total cost.

Most of the less expensive ones are from China. I have had three two failures, one under guarantee, but there are many who have had no problems at all.

Beware as there are some models out there which are the runner of the mill as above badged up & smartened up externally at a great deal more in cost.

Some are noisy about 50 decibels or more. B & Q in the UK do a noise matt for washing machines & this has eliminated a lot of the thumping these machines make.

Make sure the tank has a drain which should be emptied periodically. Also a gauge, most do, & a water trap, most do. Do make sure they are specified for airbrush work as some produced for other work spit oil.

If you wanted a quiet one, about 30 decibels, then they are about twice the cost. They have refrigerator type compressor.

If you are buying an air brush these are my thoughts. The best Harder & Steinback & Iwata. I started with the Evolution which is a superb item. Recently I got an Iwata Eclipse HP-BS which I have used about half a dozen times. This is a little honey. Literally smaller than most it is lovely to hold. I have had superb results both at distance of 150mm & very close it is very versatile. It produces better paint work than my H & S's & the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. I did a comparison a couple of months back which is in the airbrush section somewhere.

You can get cheaper airbrushes. But from bitter experience I have found the results are in proportion to the money spent.

Come back if you need further advice.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Solid advice Laurie.

I to would recommend you save a bit longer and get a compressor with a tank.

Ian M

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Laurie and Ian,

great tips and help thanks so much , and i have just realized, that the local hobby shop may not be the best place to get them

as i have looked on ebay and auto shops, and tool shops sell them as well for a lot cheaper with tanks, and for the airbrush go for

some thing mid to high range

the Harder & Steinback are german make i think, and go for a top feed and i think some were from $80 upwards,

i read some were that the piston one are alot quieter as well, but did not know they should have a drain in them as well

i did know about the water trap as that is were you set it to psi ? i thing im right

great help gives me more to look at ta,

cheers

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi been looking on evilbay just lov who said that as its so true,

found this one is about the best with free postage the others oh wow

just too much and then look for one off the airbrush types you said

Professional Air Brush Compressor for Spray Gun Kit Nail Art Make Up Tattoo

not to sure if the link will work as my firefox is playing games again,but can always copy /paste ?

A

Andy Mac

\ said:
hi been looking on evilbay just lov who said that as its so true,found this one is about the best with free postage the others oh wow

just too much and then look for one off the airbrush types you said

Professional Air Brush Compressor for Spray Gun Kit Nail Art Make Up Tattoo
That's the one to go for Monica, it's the same as the one I've got. They're made in a factory somewhere (probably China) and then re-badged and sold all over the place. So just get one at the best price.

T

tecdes

Agree with Andy this is the type that most of us use.

The drain is under the tank Moni. Yes the water trap is integral with the gauge which you can adjust with the black knob on top. Most model making compressors like this one are piston.

Take no notice of the decibel rating. They are around 50 decibel. Noticed that the rating varies in different adverts.

Should have mentioned that the about the airbrush. Definitely for model making go for top gravity feed. Definitely go for a two stage brush. With this type you push the trigger down for air flow then pull back the trigger for the controlled release of the quantity of paint you want to spray. With a single stage there is no control of the amount of paint it is set.

Found this on Ebay Australia which is a good deal. They may be others.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IWATA-Japan-Airbrush-Eclipse-Series-HP-BS-Gravity-Type-0-3tip-Double-Action/251349844480?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=27&meid=3656600292448451100&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=251349844480&

Laurie

Edit. Just had a look at the specs & missed that it is fitted with a .3 nozzle. Mine is a .35 nozzle which I would from the good experience I have had recommend a .35.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like that would do the job

Ian M

PaulTRose

Survivor
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive got exactly the same compressor...........i had the version without the resavoir and it gave stirling service for 5 years before it gave up the ghost so i think i had my moneys worth, i thought i would upgrade to one with a resavoir but i actually wish i hadnt now, it takes ages to charge the resavoir before i can start spraying, annoying if i am only doing a minute or so painting yet it takes 3/4 minutes to charge a tank that would normally last ages, bit of a waste of energy and time

if you are worried about noise, they arnt that noisy but if you stand it on something absorbant like a sheet of polystyrene that will stop a lot, especially vibration transferal

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Andy / Laurie and Ian

thank you so much for your tips in what too look for and that one is about the best and cheapest i can find,

over hear if it has the word hobby in it add $100 to 200 on top for some reason,

that a nice little airbrush a well as you can always get a .35 nozzle for it as i do understand why you use a bigger

nozzle to have more of a fan to cover more area, if im right,

cheers

guys

T

tecdes

Hi Monica. The nozzle needle size is relevant to paint density. This seems to work OK with model paints enamel and acrylics.

I use Vallejo acrylics used the brush for half a dozen times. Used Vallejo Air neat and not had any blockages. With the other brushes I have used I have had to thin to avoid blockages.

Cannot get over what a honey this brush is in so many ways. Always careful with recommendations but 100percent on this one.

if you get one let us know how you get on. Bit of technizque in brushing so get in touch when you are ready Moni.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

The pic of the compressor is also exactly the same as mine. I am very pleased with it and it is quiet enough not to be heard all over the house. There are many Internet suppliers.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Laurie / Steve

yes well the info you gave to what to look att was just so helpful, and with the tank once its full,

only tops it up , but still will scar the cats they hate that type off thing

once i saw the name off the brush being Japanese new it had to be a good one, and like the

German as well, and better to get some thing without a seance off humor as well.and think it

will be a 2 part buy , as i do have some kits just waiting to be started as well

and all your help is real appreciated,,

Moni

A

AJay

Hello Monica, here's some info about my cheapie airbrush and compressor - it might be of use for some info :smiling3:

http://jaysscalemodeladventures.blogspot.fr/2013/11/sprue-cutters-union-question-of-week.html

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Hello Monica, here's some info about my cheapie airbrush and compressor - it might be of use for some info :smiling3: http://jaysscalemodeladventures.blogspot.fr/2013/11/sprue-cutters-union-question-of-week.html
I got started in airbrushing with the same sort of package of the compressor illustrated in the web site which included a cheap airbrush which would have cost £16 separately. After a few months, as I gained experience, I bought a more expensive airbrush, but still have the compressor and expect to have it for all time.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Alex / Steve,thks for the input, and the link , i think on the compressor is a very good buy at $95 aud with free postage,

and will not get much cheaper, just out off interest would that be around the 50 pond mark for you guys ?

so start with some thing mid rage and is eazy on the pocket and then save and get the brush that Laurie found , as it is a

nice one and sound as it would be a no mess and head ache one

First Name
Mike
I also have an Iwata identical to the one in Laurie's link and can attest to it being an excellent brush. Even with the .3 needle I'm able to spray acrylics, lacquers or enamels though they do need to be thinned appropriately. I also have a much cheaper double-action airbrush which cost me about $25, and is an almost exact replica of the Iwata (infact some parts are interchangeable). I can't find the exact brush on eBay but it's very similar to this one:-

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OPHIR-New-Dual-Professional-Double-Action-Airbrus-Kit-0-3mm-Nozzle-AC004A-/181243342813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a32f1efdd&_uhb=1

For the price it's been an excellent buy. It won't spray the finest of lines like the Iwata will, and its engineering isn't quite as precise, but for putting down smooth areas of colour it's been a very useful back-up brush. In your situation I can see this would be an excellent first brush to get used to its handling and capabilities, and when you've built up some confidence you could make the transition to the Iwata almost seamlessly.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Mike, thank you for your help as that sounds like a good way to do it as well because i will most likey do some think i should not when

cleaning it and would hate to brake a costly one, i must say, as firstly will only be using for undercoats and base coats and a overall weathering,

and with the amount off brushes on the market its all a bit over whelming

T

tecdes

No you will not break it Moni unless you drop a JCB bucket on it.

Bent or damaged tip to a needle, a cracked nozzle, replacement seals.

On a good brush all replaceable parts. I always keep these spares. After all who wants to stop their model making due to a bent needle.

Laurie

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Hi Laurie sorry for late reply

dont know were i drift off too some times

oh this sounds like it could be fun ,how often do you need to replace seals and so on, hope i dont brake it

you know us English woman have a temper a mile across :mad: :D :rolleyes: