Help with car seats.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi guys, I am doing a 1/18 scale 1932 Alfa Romeo-yep it is going to be a barn find, so rusted etc. I am going to attempt doing the leather seats, all worn etc, what I want to know is what would the filling be? I thought of using fine foam then realised this probably wouldn't be correct- would it be horse hair? If so, will replicate it using paint brush hairs.

Am I on the right lines, any help appreciated.

Si:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I think I may have found out what certain old types used: Spanish Moss. They do sell this but I think it is too large so will have to faff around. Any other ideas welcome.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
1932 ......... I have no idea either Si .......... But, if you want I can ask the "gurus" at the Alfa Owners Club (I'm a fully paid up member) .......... My Alfa isn't quite that old. But I know a few that have older ones.

Peter

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
1932 ......... I have no idea either Si .......... But, if you want I can ask the "gurus" at the Alfa Owners Club (I'm a fully paid up member) .......... My Alfa isn't quite that old. But I know a few that have older ones.
Peter
Worth a shot Peter, thanks mate.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Worth a shot Peter, thanks mate.
Already done Si ............ I chucked a message up on the noticeboard. Someone will com back on it.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Well "so far" the consensus over at AOC is Horsehair and felt.......... I've been asked what model it is ???? I doubt that makes a difference, I think it's more of an interest thing.

Peter

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Well "so far" the consensus over at AOC is Horsehair and felt.......... I've been asked what model it is ???? I doubt that makes a difference, I think it's more of an interest thing.
Peter
Er, spider I think, two seater with the spare wheel at the back.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Will go with the paintbrush fine hair as this will double for horsehair at this scale.

Thanks again mate, appreciate it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Si

You have a dog do you not ;)

There's an idea there some place....

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I would have said horse hair too Si , simply because that was what most things upholstered were stuffed with around that time, all you need is a 1/12 scale horse to pluck and youre laughing. Peter whats your Alfa ? Mines a Mito 155 tb veloce :smiling3: , cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Yes i thought 8c 2300 too ,and if you do ever find one in a barn Si , dont tell anyone , just get it to the auction house quick! they fetch anything from £500,000 to £2.5 million

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
I would have said horse hair too Si , simply because that was what most things upholstered were stuffed with around that time, all you need is a 1/12 scale horse to pluck and youre laughing. Peter whats your Alfa ? Mines a Mito 155 tb veloce :smiling3: , cheers tony
Right now Tony I have a 2.0 TSpark 147 ..... I had a GT for a short while (I didn't like that much. Too much like driving a Mondeo for my liking :rolleyes:smiling3:...... and before that I had a GTV .......... I love 'em.

Peter

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Hi Si
You have a dog do you not ;)

There's an idea there some place....

Ian M
Snip...good idea Ian...wrecked car and a bald dog.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Yes i thought 8c 2300 too ,and if you do ever find one in a barn Si , dont tell anyone , just get it to the auction house quick! they fetch anything from £500,000 to £2.5 million
:eek:! I paid all of £5 for mine, and bits are missing hence the wreck. It is a 8c 2300 IIRC.