help with deck gratings

P

peter22

\ said:
Where do you buy those giant sized 5p pieces from? ;)
Not sure but if I had enough of them I may visit Beesleys tool shop again!:regards:

B

Bluewavestudios

Great work there !! haha geddit !! :laughing:

Regards......Mark

P

peter22

Hi Mark

Your suggestion was the one that I was planning on If it Worked. which it did - very time consuming and my hands ache [arthritus] I have continued today and now have 12 holes!!!! in the grating But then "tomorrow is another day"

thanks again Peter

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Peter,

Yes I thought it would be time consuming, some jobs always are unfortunately. I dont know if you tried clamping several strips together as you mentioned previously and then filing all your notches across each strip, would save a bit of time.

From what you have done so far looks really good and the finished item will be well worth the effort you have put in.

Regards........Mark

P

peter22

HI Mark

Yes thats how I did it, 6strips in a woodworking vice to try it, scored the the lines with a craft knife then the edge of a small file went o.k. at first, but then I must have twisted the file and it cracked the lugs, so I had to take them out to glue them. Decided to assemble what I had as a trial and found by using packing between the stips it's quite easy to touch up the strips and add more, so hopefully I had'nt wasted my time and materials.

Thanks again Peter

A

alan2525

Gratings look good to me - How many of those do you need to make though? I bet it's lots! By the time you'll have made them all you'll be a dab hand at it though!

It's funny how timeconsuming some of those little parts can be. All the effort shows on the finished model though, and where's the satisfaction of buying fittings off the shelf?

P

peter22

Hi Alan

Another 2 I think, a large one about 3* the size, and I think one smaller, then I may? redo the one shown [it's not fixed at the moment just a pushfit] thanks again

Peter

A

alan2525

How are you going to glue those together so the glue doesn't stain the wood and show up when they are varnished, or will you just go for such a nice fit that they don't need glue?

P

peter22

Hi Alan

Sorry to mislead you the strips are glued together, but not glued into the surrounding framework so a touch of superglue on the underside applied on the point of a pin and similar the framework to the deck

Peter