Henschel Hs123 Biplane - 1:48 OOB.

S

Scuff

Having just finished my last two AFV models, I fancied a bit of a change and a challenge.

This re-boxed Italeri kit from tamiya has been sitting in the stash for a while and was chosen because all of the panel lines are raised. I have done very little re-scribing, so I thought that it would be fun(!) having a go at it.

Initial impressions are that the kit is fairly basic and the moulding is not at all crisp, so I.m not expecting too much, but still looking forward to doing a clean build with only minor weathering.

Here we go then.......

Very Basic Cockpit.

I made the seat belts out of masking tape and small pieces of foil. They are a little large for the scale, but look ok and add some interest to the simple cockpit. The interior was washed with dark dirt, cleaned and then dry brused with Tamiya Weathering Master grey.

First Name
Mike
Nice, those belts don't look like tape at all, they look as if they have some weight to them. The kit is the old Esci model dating back to the 70s which is why it's a bit basic. Looking forward to this.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great choice Graham , as mike says its an old ESCI tooling from the early 80's and has been re-issued by several makers (Revell , italeri ) but is still a decent kit of a great subject . looking forward to seeing this , cheers tony

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking good, great scratch built belts, they look superb.

Si:smiling3:

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
This should be good ... i have the italeri version on my desk ... i will be making notes from this build of yours for sure ....the seatbelts look top class btw

cheers

lindsey

S

Scuff

This model has taken the most time for filling and sanding than any other I have made!!

I used mainly Vallejo white filler, which cleans up easily and can be smoothed with airbrush cleaner and a cotton bud. Various bits of brittle plastic broke and had to be repaired. The windshield clear part was particularly naff, so I have fabricated one out of clear acetate.

The raised panel lines have been sanded off and re-scribed.

Various problems arose when tring to assemble the kit, mainly nothing really fitted accurately. Trying to fit the top wing onto the four struts was errr, interesting.

The whole thing has been primed with Vallejo grey poly primer.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks like youve beat the problems Graham , nice work , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great work Graham, it looks very sharp and crisp so far. Interesting reflection in that first photo.

First Name
Mike
Did you ever get any further with this Graham? I really like what you've done so far.