High Speed Raf Rescue Boat??? Is It??

N

nellie-mac

Hiya all, Can anyone plese help me identify this boat please?

I'm told it is an RAF Rescue boat from WW2 ?? Any Ideas folks

This model is 1200mm long, I hope to power it with a larger Brushless Electric motor and a couple of 7.2V ( 14.4V ) buggy type Battery packs.

I Have no idea however as to what size prop I'd need, I would like it to honk around quickly on the plane....

Thanks for reading, hope there's some help.

Cheers, Paul

Oops... pictures coming as soon as I learn to resize them!

J

jankers

Nellie mac,

Can you add further details; is the boat hull made of wood?, what weight? beam measurement?

Without seeing the boat and never having used a brush-less motor i guess that you will have difficulty in getting any speed from a wooden hull, no doubt other members will advise with their own experience of these motors.

J.

N

nellie-mac

Sorry jankers.... I don't know how to add pictures??

Can someone help me to put pictures up please? I can find anything to enable me to do it other than using an Http... got me stumped!!

Paul

C

crash93

go to Additional Options lower down press Manage Attachments press brouse , tag file and it will be placed there, OH and make shure the file is not to big

Peter

C

cdsc123

It's the Walton HSL 2642, a prototype RAF rescue launch which was deemed to fragile for active service and was used successfully in a training role. She was built by Walton Yacht, Walton-On-Thames. Her post-war fate is sketchy, some say she ended up as a shipping agent's service launch in Gibraltar.

View attachment 15706

hsl2642 walton thames.jpg

Last edited:
M

MartinH-K

Using two geared buggy electric car engines, I managed to get a similar sized wooden model up to a quite respectable planning speed. Weight though is a critical factor as is the prop size and gear ratio.

N

nellie-mac

Awesome!!! Thank you very much for that. Would there be any more pictures of it around? I don't think mines colour scheme is quite right. Cheers, Paul

N

nellie-mac

\ said:
Using two geared buggy electric car engines, I managed to get a similar sized wooden model up to a quite respectable planning speed. Weight though is a critical factor as is the prop size and gear ratio.
Thank you too Martin, mine just has a single prop in her though. What sort of gearing ratio and prop size did you use?? Thanks again

S

sx976

\ said:
Awesome!!! Thank you very much for that. Would there be any more pictures of it around? I don't think mines colour scheme is quite right. Cheers, Paul
Hi everybody from a newbie to this site.

I would imagine that the colour scheme should be more like this. There are photos of this model on

http://www.wicksteedparkmbc.co.uk/nick%20brown.html

I have never seen a photo of the full-size 2642, only ever the sketch shown above. There was a plan published in the 1950's in Model Maker. It is still listed on the X-List (MM103). This is the only scale documentation I know.

Does anyone know of other 3-views or photos ? The Walton Thames in the John Pritchard plans list is NOT this craft.

View attachment 15751

Walton 003k.jpg

M

mikedean

i would like a photo please see if i can tell i do have a few ideas allready photos as you got it would be nice

N

nellie-mac

Paint Job...

Marvellous. many thanks for that... I get on to it in the next coming weeks and repaint her ( even if i say so my self... that bright orange is gastly! )

Then I shall post new pictures. Hopefully show off the brushless motor that will put a sting in her tail :smiling:

Cheers, Paul

R

robinpickford

Hi there

My father-law would love to build this as he mentioned this today on his 63 RD B'day. Something about him seeing this RAF Boat launch when he was 13. What is the X-List (MM103)? If you could forward the links to the plans (or copies - if that is the done thing) to d_sabin@hotmail.com

Many thanks in advance

Dean

R

raya

\ said:
Hi everybody from a newbie to this site.I would imagine that the colour scheme should be more like this. There are photos of this model on

http://www.wicksteedparkmbc.co.uk/nick%20brown.html

I have never seen a photo of the full-size 2642, only ever the sketch shown above. There was a plan published in the 1950's in Model Maker. It is still listed on the X-List (MM103). This is the only scale documentation I know.

Does anyone know of other 3-views or photos ? The Walton Thames in the John Pritchard plans list is NOT this craft.
Hi

new to this site I started building hull using Mm103 plan about 1958 got hull complete and it got lost in attic until now and am going to finish it now i am retired! have still got original plan colour quoted is black above water line red below & grey sides rest natural the gun turrets were to be made from wireless valves or ground down wine glasses there was a 9"mast with multi strand wire aerial from mast to bow & stern. the motor is shown diagramatic as a diesel engine with no other info but i think 3.5cc was recomended

L

LIFEBOATALAN

Hi Paul if you give the weight of the boat and if you are having 1or2 props driving the boat i will work out a brushless set up for you,and send you the links you will need to get the motors and esc's. you can e.mail me on debssnal@aol.com Take alook at this 54" 15kg boat on brushless motors YouTube - model lifeboat

kind regards

ALAN