HMS Victory,My Rigging Sequence for an English First Rate Ship of the Line.

J

JohnReid

During the many years that I spend building Victory I kept a day to day log of the building sequence, including the standing and running rigging.During the time that I was researching the rigging I found lots of information but most of it was quite confusing as to the actual sequence of how to get it up in the right order.I was quite amazed that in the end the following sequence really worked for me .There was only a couple of minor lines that were not belayed at the foot of the main mast but because of accessibility issues I had to belay them to the shroud cleats instead.Not bad when you consider that I was a beginner at this and secured each line down permanently as I went along,which could have been a disaster.

It has been 10 years since I finished Victory and many more since I researched it.There may be much more information out there on this subject today that I am not aware of and if so please advise me if I would be wasting my time in doing this.Cheers! John.

J

JohnReid

Well I guess things have not changed that much for the beginner.I remember just how confused I was when I first started to learn about rigging a ship.Luckily I kept a log of the rigging sequence that I used for Victory which really seemed to work out well for me.I just turned 68 years old, so before I head for the "happy hunting ground" and someone tosses it in the dumpster, I might as well pass it on to other beginners out there.

Although the following describes Victory it could be used, in whole or in part for any other square rigged man-of-war of the era.

I used many references of which "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ship" was the primary source.If you have not already done so I would pick up a copy as this thread will be based upon its contents.It is a great book but it does lack a clear sequence about where to start and how to finish and in what order ,which is of primary concern to any beginning rigger.It has a great index of nautical terms primarily concerned with this era of English warship and wonderful plans,figures and plates of Victory.

There are some who disagree about some minor points about what line was belayed where etc....but for the most part this can be considered the bible on Victory.

At first I plan just to list the sequence of the rigging itself. I am assuming that your ship model has all the belaying points etc.. already established.Later if all goes well ,I will expand upon each step as to rope sizes,belaying points etc...

Well here goes,I hope you enjoy it .....Cheers! John.

J

JohnReid

1-lower mast pendants

2-lower mast shrouds(no ratlines)

3-bobstays(at head)

4-bowsprit shrouds

5-mainstay

6-main preventer stay

7-forestay

8-fore preventer stay

9-snaking

10-mizzen stay

11-mizzen preventer stay

12-jeer blocks(fore and main masts)

13-jib boom horses

14-topmast pendants

15-breast backstays

16-standing backstays

to be cont......

J

JohnReid

Rigging Sequence cont............

16-standing backstays

a-fore topmast

b-main topmast

c-mizzen topmast

17-shifting backstays

a-fore topmast

b-main topmast

c-mizzen topmast

18-foretopmast preventer stat

19-foretopmast stay

20-maintopmast stay

21-maintopmast preventer stay

22-mizzen topmast stat

23-topgallant shrouds

To be cont........

J

JohnReid

24-topgallant backstays

25-topgallant shifting backstays

26-jibstay

27-foretopgallant stay

28-main topgallant stay

29-mizzen topgallant stay

30-flying jib boom horses

31-bowsprit horses

32-flying jib stay

33-fore royal backstay

34-main royal backstay

35-mizzen royal backstay

36-main royal stay

37-mizzen royal stay

38-inner martingale

to be cont...........

J

JohnReid

The best book on rigging sequence that I am aware of is in a book that I picked up over 30 years ago in a hobby shop called HMS Victory,Classic Ships,Their history and how to model them #1. by Noel C.L. Hackney. ISBN 0 85059 053 1

I picked up this book for $1.95 back then.It is probably long out of print but I know that it was available up until a few years ago when I passed this info on to a another modeler and he managed to find a copy somewhere.

It was published in 1970 by

Patrick Stephens Ltd,

London EC1,England.

in association with Airfix Products Ltd,London SW18,England.

If anyone finds a supplier ,please let me know.Good luck ! Cheers. John.

You may also want to try:

- The Airfix Tribute Forum - :: Index

B

Bunkerbarge

That rigging is simply staggering and from a beginner is unbelievable. I have actually stood on the deck of the Victory (see my gallery) and just been completely over awed by the complexity of the rigging.

Your model is simply superb. can we have a few shots from a bit further back to enable us to see the whole thing?

J

JohnReid

39-Outer martingale

40-flying martingale

41-Fore royal stay

42-Jib traveller outhauler

43-Spritsail yard halyard

44-Jib boom travelling tguys

45-Jib boom guy pendants

46-Flying jib boom guys

47-Boomkin shrouds

This completes the Standing Rigging.(some exceptions will be noted later)

J

JohnReid

When I had finished rigging everything step-by-step using this sequence, I had only 2 ropes that I had to belay to the cleats on the shrouds as access to the bottom of the masts at this point was impossible.I figured that was pretty good.

I kept a record of my rigging sequence that I had gleaned from numerous sources.There is a lot of info out there but as far as I know,no actual sequence of how to rig Victory or any other English ship of the line.

Rather than just throw out all this research I thought that I would share it with you guys.It will be only the bare minimum of information but it is the sequence that is important here.I have come to realize this over the years by the number of guys who have contacted me looking for this type of information.

It is basically a bare poles "harbour rig" with some additions.My Victory is a diorama type model depicting the ship in harbour just prior to hauling up the sails so I added things like clues,bunts and leeches etc.. to the yardarms.

Please don't take any of this as gospel ,double check everything.I am no expert in this field.

This is only meant as an aid for the novice rigger who feels a little overwhelmed by it all,I know I was.It is offered in the spirit of sharing what I have learned with my fellow modelers,nothing more.

At 68 my memory is slipping a little and some of this info dates back 30 years.For the past ten years I have been involved with building dioramas for the Canada Aviation Museum in Ottawa so I am not really up to date on what is available out there for ship modelers.I only know that by the number of modelers who have contacted me looking for this info that it probably would still be useful.

Please be patient this may take some time as I am still actively involved in modeling myself.

Cheers! John.