Hobbyboss 1:72 A-7 Corsair II

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well look at me, I've managed to knock something together. As gardening weather is here, well sort of, what I mean is, as there's a lot of work to do in the garden, bench time is limited to a few minutes here and there. But in those few minutes, I've managed a little 1:72 Hobbyboss Corsair A-7.
The Vought A-7, affectionately known as Sluf, Short little ugly feller. Although 'feller' could be changed for another, less kind word.
The A-7 was roughly speaking a replacement for the A-4 Skyhawk
The US Navy's specification for the 'new' aircraft was fairly standard, but there was a couple of extras thrown in. Unusually, reliability and maintainability were specified in the contract with penalty clauses if the new aircraft didn't live up to expectations. I wonder if this explains why so many models have the ability to have their electronic bays open ? Also, maximum speed was not specified. So the new aircraft could be sub-sonic, saving weight, and of course, a lot of money. The final unusual requirement was that the new aircraft should be a development of an existing aircraft, thus saving both time and money. OK, so a lot of us will know that the Corsair looks very much like the Crusader, only a lot smaller. Which would tell us that the Corsair was based on the Crusader, thus saving money. Only thing is, it wasn't. There appears to be no significant commonality of parts or equipment - not quite playing by the rules of the proposal. The first pre-production A-7s flew on 27th September 1965. Just 18 months from the signing of the contract, and 25 days ahead of schedule. The A-7 finally retired in 2014 by the Hellenic air force. Not a bad run.

The Hobbyboss A7-A Corsair 2 builds into a nice example of this aircraft. The cockpit if sparse, but in this scale, I can live with that. External detail is really good and can be highlighted easily. The only real problems during the build are upper wing roots, not a problem unique to Hobbyboss and unfortunately, there's a canopy seam to deal with, again, not something unique to Hobbyboss. Do I recommend the kit, yes I do.
IMG_1625.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1640.JPG
IMG_1666.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1679.JPG

Any questions or comments, fire away.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
This is a outstanding build job well done.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's one to be proud of Colin. A really great model. It certainly could pass easily for a bigger scale.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
not sure it deserves it's SLUF nickname.
I agree. In service from 1965 to 2014. That speaks volumes.

on my to buy and build one day list
I've wanted one for years Mark. I just kept forgetting to buy the thing.

You SURE that's 1/72nd
Indeed it is. But look at all the lovely surface detail Hobbyboss gave us. All that detail is what you might expect to see on a 1:48 model, but HB produced a 1:72 with all that detail, and that was back in 2007.

Very nice indeed.
Cheers Pete.
This is a outstanding build job well done.
Thanks Lee. HB did give us a nice kit to start with.
That certainly looks bigger than 1/72 scale
Thanks Chris - I think the secret is in the detail. Thank you Hobbyboss.
That's one to be proud of Colin
Thanks Jim. Once in a while, the planets align, and I get lucky.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Lovely job Colin.

I thought it was 1/48 because I skipped straight to the pictures. Only reading the comments of others made me check. Cracking!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Colin,

As the others have said that really is the business. Very well done indeed!!!!

ATB.

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Lovely job Colin.

I thought it was 1/48 because I skipped straight to the pictures. Only reading the comments of others made me check. Cracking!
Cheers Andy. The funny thing is, it's got me in the mood for a 1:48 Crusader now.
Cracking job Colin :thumb2:

Geoff.
Thank you Geoff.
this is one of my all time favourite aircraft
It caught my eye a long time ago, but I've never built one, not even as a youngster. It does have a certain look about it, which I like.
Very nice indeed Colin, well done.
Thanks Garry.
As the others have said that really is the business.
Cheers. As we all know, sometimes, the modelling gods shine on us, and it just works ! I've got a much newer hobbyboss kit in the stash, which might just get promoted to a bit nearer, the top of the pile.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic build colin ! Love a corsair , especially when its hanging with stores like this . Lovely paintwork and photos , looks like a really nice kit to build too , cheers tony

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Excellent stuff ,I only do wingy things in my dreams (but loads in the stash)strange how people look at diffrent things but what slapped me around the chops was the decal work more than excellent fantastic finishing great job. Dave

Reactions: JR

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wonderful result Colin. Amazed to hear of an A-7 model where the chin intake isn't on the list of issues.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
especially when its hanging with stores like this
Cheers Tony, although I might have used a bit of, well, freedom of expression as far as the load out goes.

but what slapped me around the chops was the decal work
David, yes, the decals were really good. They were a bit 'stretchy' which helped them settle easily.

Amazed to hear of an A-7 model where the chin intake isn't on the list of issues.
Thanks Joe. And err yes, I forgot to mention that little issue. Still, it was nothing the average modeler like myself couldn't deal with.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Colin sorry late to this, great photos of a great build.
Defiantly the
. download THE DOGS.jpg
Congratulations .