'Holdie' things

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Howdy,

What do people use to hold parts whilst they are been sprayed, have been thinking of wooden dowel, with the parts attached using white glue on the side not to be seen, not sure what though for where both sides will be in view, dont want white glue to have to remove . Or Sprue, with normal glue / white glue / bluetack never seems to stick very well though

paint 2.jpgpaint 1.jpg

D

dubster72

Blu tak works better if warmed a little Steve, but it does have its limitations.

For parts that have a non visible face, I stick it on a barbecue skewer with superglue. The skewers are better than toothpicks, being longer. Usually I'll drill a small hole for the tip of the skewer.

I've also used wooden lolly sticks, usually for figures. Superglue a boot heel to the stick, and all areas of figure can be reached.

Tweezers can be used too, with a clothes peg keeping them closed. Watch out for parts pinging off into the distance though!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I use blue tack/white tack, and also, the the piece is large some weighted crocodile clip holders with some foam stuck the grips.

They are like this, I got them from a charity shop for 50p :D

$_12.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
all depends on what needs to be held

toothpics and bbq skewers with blobs of blutac or pushed into suitable holes..............ive got a couple of bits of wood with holes drilled in (like a cribbage board) to put them in to hold them upright

if im doing car bodies i have a wire coat hanger bent into a vee with another bent bit at the end......the natural spring out pushes against the inside of the car bodies...makes a 'handle'

First Name
Gwyn
Similar to Si I use small dowel to which I have fitted little crocodile clip which can be bought for pennies on the internet. I then have a wooden plock with suitably sized holes drilled in it so that i can insert the dowel. It works well.