Home made sanding sticks

P

Plastickitbasher

Hello all thought you might like this idea.

All you need is the following

A pack of Tamiya finnishing paper

Household all purpose glue

A handful of those wooden stirring sticks you with your coffee from a cafe or canteen.

What to do

Mark the back of the finnishing paper to the size of your stick either laying flat on it's side edge, if you do that then make it long enough to wrap around the end.

Then apply the glue and stick the paper to the stick and leave for 24hrs all the better if you have some pegs or small mini clamps to hold everything in place.

Use some tipex at the other end of the stick to mark a white background then with a fine tip marker pen mark the grade of paper.

You can if you wish cut the sticks down to a fine point so you can get into those hard to get to places on models or figures.

Hope it helps

Regards

David

G

Graeme Brumfitt

plastick hi, did the same thing on Thursday when I was making a Revell S.E.5a 1/48, but used wet n dry 600 to 1200.

Have you ever heard of Micro Mesh? it's what they use to polish spectacle lenses it goes up to 12000.

I use it on the pens I make great finish as you can imagine.

Graeme.

G

Graeme Brumfitt

John Hi,

@ the minute I get mine from a guy on ebay vinny5353

Here's a site with some info for you, MicroMesh

and another, Sylmasta Ltd Micro-Mesh Abrasives

Micromesh was developed to restore full size aircraft glazing. Quote from site, it really is good stuff. It comes as a plain paper or foam backed.

Last edited:
G

Graeme Brumfitt

plastick

"A handful of those wooden stirring sticks you with your coffee from a cafe or canteen."

Yep hehe got loads of those also lolly ice sticks bit thicker n stronger.

A

alan2525

I think there must be some Scottish blood in most modellers - taking handfulls of Coffee Stirrers when they buy their hot beverages indeed!...

...I even keep those Jars that the little individual servings of Jam come in as paint pots. The only problem is you have to spend the money sitting outside relutantly eating the Cream Tea with your pockets filled up with wooden stirrers and empty jam jars.