Honda RC211V 'The Taming of the Sprue'

F

funkyrimpler

hi lads,

i recently started my latest project, the Honda RC211V. This is 2002/03 model that Valentino Rossi won his 2nd and 3rd consecutive titles.

My main focus has been on prep and paint so here's a few quicks. The wheels have been painted, tyres weathered and fitted. A funny thing though, the rear tyre was way, way, too big..or should i say that the rear wheel was too small....? luckily i had some spares from an NSR kit and noticed that the wheel was about 4mm smaller in diamter. I had a spare rear tyre and fortunately this fitted much better onto the RC wheel, although not as snug as normal...very bizarre.

Tonight i will be applying rim tape and tyre decals, and a couple of coats of clear onto the wheels..

Tamiya X1 gloss black was horrible to spray. It was either too thin or too thick with a very poor texture. Next time i will use Revell or Vallejo as what little experience ive had with them has been far superior.

I used decanted TS51 deep metallic blue for the bodywork..it took many coats to match the very dark of the race bike. It hardly has any metallic in it however, and will probably appear black in the photos.

I toyed with the idea of flourescent orange, and even orange wheels but i decided against it..i sort of wish i had doen the orange bodywork though, as reference pics and videos ive seen im 99% certain it is day glo...anyway, ive copped out and gone for standard Tam orange (although they state 'bright orange' should be used..which is nothing at all like the real bike.

Finally, on this model im going for a more used appearance. As such, im applying washes and wear (subtle though), to the engine, tyres etc. with a more burnt exhaust effect than normal...without looking too fake hopefully. im actually going to put literally a couple of tiny chips or flakes to the wheel rims..i painted the already black wheels with grey primer so that (touch wood), one or two specks will poke through..i hoping that only the most nerdy eagle eyed people who look at my completed model will notice.

Hope you enjoy!

Si

View attachment 48603View attachment 48604View attachment 48605View attachment 48606

View attachment 51442

View attachment 51443

View attachment 51444

View attachment 51445

P5150012.jpg

P5150013.jpg

P5150014.jpg

P5150015.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

heres a few detail pics.i used a pin vise to make the rear sprocket holes and the air intake vents as i used some video and photographic references. The clutch cover etc is made from using a carbon decal sheet and making templates.

hope you enjoy.

View attachment 48658View attachment 48659View attachment 48660View attachment 48661View attachment 48662View attachment 48663View attachment 48664View attachment 48665

View attachment 51495

View attachment 51496

View attachment 51497

View attachment 51498

View attachment 51499

View attachment 51500

View attachment 51501

View attachment 51502

P5160018.jpg

P5160019.jpg

P5160020.jpg

P5160022.jpg

P5160023.jpg

P5160024.jpg

P5160025.jpg

P5160035.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

D

delmonteman

You can't beat a nice bit of carbon!

Sent using my fat thumbs and Tapatalk.

F

funkyrimpler

heres a few of the finished bike.

not that you can tell from the pics but i sprayed 4 coats of pearl then brused two coats of clear over the decals. this has given a subtle but very nice metallic sparkle to the paint, particularly the dark blue.

the decals were very fragile (again) but microclear decal film saved the day.Aprat from leaving residue that has to be very carefully cleaned off it held most of the decals pretty well, although a couple tore or flaked. without the film i think they would have disintegrated in the water as ive experienced before.

im pleased with the results of the carbon decal work. fiddly and time consuming, making the templates and cutting/applying the decals, but they look really good. i'll try and post some decent pics as they dont photograph well.. The seat support, exhast heat shield, hugger, clutch cover, and heel plates are all treated. the tank decals are carbon effect and they different textures mix really well. im also happy how the pin vise drilling went, only the most eagle eyed will spot the vents etc but its something i'll be doing again.

i wouldnt say the model was particularly fun to build, but im pretty happy with the results.

Hope you like the bike.

View attachment 48768View attachment 48769View attachment 48770View attachment 48771View attachment 48772View attachment 48773View attachment 48774View attachment 48775View attachment 48776View attachment 48777

View attachment 51592

View attachment 51593

View attachment 51594

View attachment 51595

View attachment 51596

View attachment 51597

View attachment 51598

View attachment 51599

View attachment 51600

View attachment 51601

P5180061.jpg

P5180062.jpg

P5180063.jpg

P5180065.JPG

P5180007.jpg

P5180001.jpg

P5180064.jpg

P5180008.JPG

P5180011.JPG

P5180009.jpg

First Name
Chris
I must confess that bikes aren't really my thing but quite frankly that is a truly awesome build Si. Very very good work that man. I did make a tamiya Yamaha virago ( I think that's what it was called) when i was lad and seeing work of your quality may well inspire to be a bit more diverse in my modelling.

Congrats on a job well done

All the best

Chris

M

mobear

you sure you didnt take photo of the real one then photo shop it in miniature then add the work top to it? lol

one awesome bike,mr R would be proud of it

mobear

F

funkyrimpler

cheers lads for your comments. its not perfect by any means but im learning all the time.

my next project is Rossi's 05 Gauloises Yamaha. Im just waiting for some Gauloises decals from China, if they dont arrive, i'll simply use the 'Go!' decals that come with the kit.

Glad you all liked the bike. Although theyre very fiddy i think the final results are well worth it. i'd like to get into the same level of details that the Japanese builders take it to..adding real rivets and so on.

Does anyone know where to get the clear vinyl tubing to replace the black stuff that comes in the original kits??

T

treyzx10r

That looks very sharp and clean,nice build!!!! . I also like to use photo etch nuts to cover the screw heads ,they are easy to find on line. The tubing you are looking for can be found at media mix hobbies.

F

funkyrimpler

\ said:
That looks very sharp and clean,nice build!!!! . I also like to use photo etch nuts to cover the screw heads ,they are easy to find on line. The tubing you are looking for can be found at media mix hobbies.
thanks trey i'll check it out. im going to get into these PE parts for my next build, now im gaining in confidence and experience (and perhaps retro fit the nuts you mentioned).

my next project will im hoping be very detailed! im currently working on the 05 Yamaha M1 and will be posting pics of that soon.