How Do I Make This Working

C

Corwin

Hi,

First of all: My name is Corwin and I'm new on this Forum

I'm building models for quite some time now but I'm preparing to build my first Diorama within a couple of weeks.

This Diorama will be with the DUKW and the 105 mm Howitzer from Italeri.

On the internet I have found all kinds of tutorials and how too's...

One thing that I can't get the exact hang of is how to make a nice burst after an explosion.

I found some very nice pictures of something I would like to make on this forum

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/eternal-war-of-the-poor-man.10496/

(Picture: CIMG2048.jpg)

As far as I understand from reading this tread, it was done by using a bottle.

I tried to imitate it and even used a hairdryer to get the look of the plastic more straggly but I did not succeed.

Does somebody knows how to get it done right?? (maybe a tutorial??)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Corwin

D

dubster72

Welcome to the forum Corwin. As I understand it, you're looking to replicate the shellhole?

Although I haven't read the entire thread, I'd guess the groundwork is made from plaster or something similar. The base of a plastic bottle is pushed into the plaster before it sets, with some small stones etc placed around the rim.

I'd suggest getting some plaster or polyfiller & having a mess around. Keep it natural looking & you'll be fine.

Cheers

Patrick

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
The shell hole could be made from Milliput modelling putty or as Patrick points out plaster. You need anything that has a smooth round shape to create the bowl, then smooth the sides to create the lip.

You could practise using blue tac or similar, make a large ball and play about using various objects.

A shell hole will not be perfect, although round in shape it will have grass tufts and a soil in the bottom and around it.

N

noble

The easiest way to make shell holes is use either 25mm or 50mm thick insulating foam board and mount it to your wooden base, once dry just gouge out the hole diameter you need.

Scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If it is the hole in the corner of the base, I think he did it with a clear plastic bottle. Something like this:

cut the bottom off the bottle to a suitable height. Cut the sides of this into pointy ribs and then plant that in the shell hole. To get the water/mud effect on the splashes, paint the plastic bottle 'shards' with pva glue and your preferred weathering products....

Ian M

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
A teeny tiny bit of Dynamite ought to do the trick :D .... Getting the right amount is going to be a trial and error thing. But it will look realistic. :D :D:D:D

C

Corwin

Thank you guys for your reactions.

I think I'll try Ian M's suggestion.

I used the neck of the bottle but the bottom seems to make more sense

@ Takeslousyphotos => I just ran out of dynamite so I'll have to stick to plastic bottles I'm afraid :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Corwin