Humbrol Acrylics

M

maverick60

Comments please on the use of Humbrol Acrylics:-

1. what should I thin with.
  2. what sort of coverage should i get from a tin.
  3. what is best size needle please.

T

tecdes

I do not use Humbrol acrylics but my rule is use the thinners marketed by the paint manufacturer as they will work.

Coverage depends on how much you thin. Also a bearing is the primer used. If you use a compatible colour you will use less paint. A 17mm Vallejo bottle just about covered the u/s of a 1/48 Wellington. But the colour has a great deal to do with coverage. Black you can almost get away with one coat (that is mean always use at least two coats) Yellow found five coats is needed to cover light grey primer.

Smaller pieces airbrushed use a lot more paint as a great deal is lost not hitting the piece. If you mist coat first coat that is also another thing to be added in.

Needle/nozzle size. I use .2 & on occasion for large areas .4.

There is no rule whatsoever for any of the above it is in the end your experience which will lead you to a good understanding of what you can do with your method of working.

As said I have not used Humbrol. Noticed my small stock of Revell acrylics are much thicker than my prefered paint Vallejo Air which are prepared for airbrushing. All like the difference in motorway, town & country driving. Miles per gallon & miles travelled are so diverse.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Humbrol just say they can be thinned with water, but use distilled water.

The colours should be good.

How much a pot will cover is rather dependent on how you paint.

I dont use them based on the simple ground that a) I cant get hold of them and b) all I have read about them was shall we say not complimentary....

I Use Vallejo as well but I use the Model Color range. I also use Xtracrylix which are also a good acrylic paint.

Used with the correct thinner they give a great finish and go a long way.

Ian M

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I used to use Humbrol acrylics (and enamels) and I would endorse what Laurie says above regarding coverage. I switched away from Humbrol to Vallejo, using both Air and Model Colour and I find even MC, thinned with Vallejo thinners, a lot better in the airbrush than Humbrol ever were.