Humbrol Clear...

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
In the past I have used the Vallejo polyutethane varnishes but having seen a review I tried out the new Humbrol Clear product for the first time instead of Vallejo Gloss.

I have to say it is excellent. I sprayed it at 25psi neat through my H&S Evo with a .4 needle and it laid down on the model beautifully with nu runs. One coat of the FiatG50 bis was enough to enable decals to be done showing no decal silvering. If you want a high gloss then a second coat would be needed.

The produce is thinner and less 'gloopy' than the Vallejo gloss making it a lot easier to handle and it did not clog the airbrush.

I recommend it - this will be my gloss of choice in future.

Incidentally - I also tried out the Vallejo Premier matt varnish and I also found that better than the polyeurethane type. Going down well, two coats to produce a good flat hard finish.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice info Barry, thank you for taking the time to jot this down, very helpful.

Si:smiling3:

L

Laurie

Agree Barry first class. Tried it and bought two. Better than both Klear and Vallejo Gloss Varnish especially as a foundation for decals as you have said. Found it to be very thin but more resilient than Klear plus smooth where Vallejo is a little lumpy. Also gives a better sparkle than Vallejo.

Good for small bits where just a flick with the brush on matt painted parts.

Laurie

First Name
Dave
I didn't know Vallejo did a Premier Matt varnish.I will have to try that.Ive just sprayed the ordinary matt varnish on my Defiant and it dried with white patches.Luckily I was able to clean it off and respray with Vallejo satin ,which worked fine.

L

Laurie

Thought it worth showing all the varnishes that Vallejo produce.

Removable Acrylic Gloss Satin and Matt Varnish

Can be eliminated with ammonia or other alkali substances without damaging the colors if it were necessary to rework the painting at a later date. U.V. resistent.

Permanent Gloss Satin and Matt Varnish

Can not be eliminated once dry. It is recommended to apply two coats of varnish, with an interval of at least 4 hours. Quickdrying Varnish can be diluted with water if desired. U.V. resistent.

Polymeric Gloss, Matt and Satin Varnish

100% Acrylic Varnish formulated with UVLS (Ultra Violet Filters & Light Stabilizers) for total UV protection. Dries rapidly. Can be removed with an alkaline solution (ammonia). Apply with varnish brush, keeping brush humid. Do not overwork. Two thin coats of varnish are recommended, with at least 4 hours in between to allow profound drying of first coat. Clean brushes and tools thoroughly with water.

Polyurethane Gloss Satin and Matt Varnish

New polyurethane varnish formulated with the most recently developed resin, waterbased and non irritating. This varnish has the superior resistence of polyurethane and the ease of application of waterbased products. U.V. Resistant.

Confused ?

Laurie

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I didn't know Vallejo did a Premier Matt varnish.I will have to try that.Ive just sprayed the ordinary matt varnish on my Defiant and it dried with white patches.Luckily I was able to clean it off and respray with Vallejo satin ,which worked fine.
I got white spots with Vallejo matt varnish and won't use it again. I also found their gloss varnish tended to run.

S

Stevekir

\ said:

Incidentally - I also tried out the Vallejo Premier matt varnish and I also found that better than the polyeurethane type. Going down well, two coats to produce a good flat hard finish.
Vallehjo's site doesn't list Vallejo Premier matt varnish. Where did you get it please?

L

Laurie

Any problems Steve with Vallejo paints or varnishes just email their customer service and they will give the answer in a couple of hours.

Tried them a number of times and they are spot on with their advice. One came back just consulting the chemist so they take it seriously. One they sent tw replacements for one that had gone wrong plus a trial pack of other products.

Laurie

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I got white spots with Vallejo matt varnish and won't use it again. I also found their gloss varnish tended to run.
I used to get the white spot problem with the old Humbrol enamel matt varnish.Then I found Vallejo matt varnish and at first it was brilliant.Then last year it bought a new bottle and started having problems.So I got another and it's still doing it.Maybe my local shop has a bad batch.Ive been using the Vallejo satin instead which works well and gives a near matt finish.

L

Laurie

Email Vallejo Customer help Dave. Give the batch number and where it was bought. I did the same and they said it was a bad batch.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Email Vallejo Customer help Dave. Give the batch number and where it was bought. I did the same and they said it was a bad batch.Laurie
I told Vallejo (giving the batch no.) and they said that they had tested that batch and found it OK. I think that vigorous mixing is good for matt or semi-mat varnish, to thoroughly mix the white stuff (chalk?) that gives the matt effect, and perhaps the white stuff clumps with other white stuff, so again shaking would help that. Over- vigorous shaking of gloss varnish might not be a good thing, 'cos of bubbles.

R

Rob1

I am new to models and the airbrush, Humbrol clear is the only top coat I have up to now, they are not joking when they say it self levels when drying I have done my first model with it using a brush and I am very pleased see pic and I have dipped scratched clear parts in it to great effect.

View attachment 80063

The reason I used a brush is every time I try it through the airbrush the next day the paint has a horrible pattern on it that I can only describe as giraffe markings what is this please?

Rob.

IMG_0924.JPG

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Vallehjo's site doesn't list Vallejo Premier matt varnish. Where did you get it please?
Hi Steve.

Sorry - I meant Premium not Premier. It is the varnish that goes with their RC paint range. I have had the bottle for some time and forget where I got it, I see John does not have it at the moment. I am sure you can find it via Google. There were none of those white flecks that, like you, gave such a problem with the other type.

Rob - some suggestions:

Make sure the model in clean before spraying - I wipe mine with ipa to get rid of grease marks

Make sure the air pressure is not too high. Not over 30psi - most of my spraying is done between 15 and 25 psi.

Try priming, with a good primer coat and leave it 24 hours to cure before applying a base coat. I use Vallejo primer - it is excellent.

Check that the paints are the right consistency and suitable for spraying. Some say like milk. Being new to an airbrush you might find the Vallejo Model Air the easiest to use as they are ready to spray from the bottle with an eye-dropper type bottle that makes dispensing easy.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Hi Steve.Sorry - I meant Premium not Premier. It is the varnish that goes with their RC paint range. I have had the bottle for some time and forget where I got it, I see John does not have it at the moment. I am sure you can find it via Google. There were none of those white flecks that, like you, gave such a problem with the other type.

.......y.
Thanks. Found it: 62.062 Matt Varnish Barniz Mate

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/premium-rc-color/family/20

Interestingly, the Spanish word for varnish seems to be barniz. It look different but sounds like varnish.

L

Laurie

There is a trade of I have found between the Vallejo polyurethane and the acrylic resin varnishes.

The acrylic resin is quick to dry and you can apply a second coat within the hour.

Found the polyurethane dries much slower. Also found when I used it to provide a surface for weathering that you have to be careful as it is a bit flakey compared to the resin. But the Polyurethane provides slightly better finish.

I use the acrylic resin for matt which I find to be more matt than matt. More matt than the model air paint.

But as Barry I am now hooked on Humbrol Clear for a gloss finish. I now have more obsolescence on the shelf. Now I wonder why Humbrol named it "Clear". Any ideas. Much cheaper than it's near name sake and also, thank the stars, less smelly.

Laurie

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
iv been using the Vallejo matt varnish along with the satin and polyurethane for a number of years and have had no problems ,but I have heard that humbrol is good also .

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Hmmm I might change to Humbrol clear as well. Does it need to be thinned for Airbrushing Barry?

John

L

Laurie

Also add to this thread that to increase the glossiness apply additional coats until the effect required is a achieved.

Laurie

H

Harry Labanville

To add my tuppence worth.

What ever varnish or paint you use its the 24 hrs or more you leave it afterwards that gives you a good result. ;)