What am i doing wrong here....

Shake bottle of maskol....

Paint onto model to "mask" ready for spraying

Open bottle of cellulose thinners

place maskol brush into thinners.....

Attempt to clean maskol from brush

result.......

NOW have 2 knackered brushes in the bin

Help urgently required......as I have another two colours to spray onto the aircraft, which means I can see me losing another 4 brushes...which is a :nono:

Many thanks

B

Bunkerbarge

I have to say Paul your post made me smile! I'm afraid I can't offer anything constructive as I have never used maskol but you obviously need tio find a suitable solvent and cellulose obviously isn't it! You need to experiment, unless someone on here has the answer, and find a solvent that does actually dissolve the stuff. Try normal enamel thinners, and even hot water while you are waiting. I wouldn't use another brushfull though, just try the samples on a surface and rub them with a rag.

Good luck!

S

Savvy

Hello WW,

I've been using this stuff for some years now, more so in my artwork, where the areas to be masked are vast in comparison to say a 1:48 aircraft.

The first time i used maskol it became apparent that it was going to be a brush destroyer! So other means of applying it would have to be found.

Firstly it's waterbased, which means if your quick enoungh you can clean your brush in water. That said it will render the brush usless after several 'dips and cleans'.

So, what to do. I've found over the years that a 'brush' of sorts can be made from various odds and sods with some off the best one's fashioned from those thin green canes used for gardening. You can sharpen the end to a fine point similar in shape to a fontain pen, or lightly bash the end in to make bristles. These bristles can then be trimmed and shaped to your needs. As and when the end get's fouled (and it will!) you just snap the end off and start again.

If a brush is the only way to go, then go to a pound shop or similar and buy the cheapest, nastiest childrens paint brushes you can find, trim the ends up to suit your needs and just throw them away when done.

There are several other little tips to be had with maskol, but to keep the post lenght down and to stop you getting bored with all the reading i'll leave at that for now.

All the best,

Sav.

W

Wild Weasel

Thanks guys for the replys,

What really p***es me off, is that on the side of the bottle it clearly says (mind you it's in small writing)........Clean brushes in Cellulose thinners....

Now if Humbrol can't get it right what chance have we got:noidea:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Use a drop of ammonia to clean utensils,to apply go to your art shop and invest in a 'Colour shaper' forget brushes,the rubber tip is easily cleaned in your hands by rolling off the latex formulae.

They want shooting for suggesting cellulose thinners !

\ said:
Thanks guys for the replys,What really p***es me off, is that on the side of the bottle it clearly says (mind you it's in small writing)........Clean brushes in Cellulose thinners....

Now if Humbrol can't get it right what chance have we got:noidea:

W

Wild Weasel

At last I have found a product that will REMOVE Maskol from paint brushes.....

If you have seen my thread in the "aircraft" section about my F-105g you'll understand my relief at finally finding a brush cleaner......

You see I have the F-105g + 2x F-4g's to paint in SEA camo....

I have just been given a F-4e (thanks to a workmate who's giving up on a/c and going into cars) This is also going to be SEA camo

And in the post from Hong Kong is a F-4c Which will be made into a "first type Wild Weasel again in SEA camo

Spot the trend here............:grinball2:

Anyway I digress

For the cleaner of Maskol from brushes I'm using this as soon as you finish painting or the maskol starts to bind, drop the brush in the bottle leave fr 5 /10 minutes, shake & spin while still in the bottle, watch the Maskol drop off the bristles, remove from jar and wipe on a clean towel/cloth....

I have now managed to re-use the same brush 5 times.........

View attachment 17017

F105G build 005.jpg

Last edited:
T

tag

I dont know if this is of use:

As I have not used Maskol but if its like the artists masking fluid you can use ordinary soap on the brush first also;

if you use quality brushes then the art shops sell a vegetable soap for protecting them after cleaning as it replaces the natural oil in the bristles useful if your using thinners

B

backonthecase

Use copydex instead of maskol! Much more durable and easy to use.

Stuart