I built a Gerry! Airfix's new 109E in 1/48

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not so much as a build, sort of carries on from some questions i posted under 'paint'.

I just thought that before I give it some Klear and Decal it I would put it up for some expert feed back.

I must say I'm quite chuffed!!! AND I only had to do those dreaded shadowy-cloudy sides three times. I finally said enough is enough and left it as seen.

So needs a bit of klear, decals, panel lines and a bit of grime. Whats the verdict?

View attachment 19079View attachment 19078

Oh If any one has some 1939 swastikas for the tail please let me know.

They need to be black, white and a black outer edge!

I could but a whole sheet from Hannants for a fiver, but the post would be nearly three quid..... Yer OK Im tight!

Ian M

View attachment 26537

View attachment 26538

10092010710.jpg

10092010711.jpg

R

Richy C

Looks very nice Ian , your quite right to be chuffed mate I know I would be , the mottle looks great having only done it once myself I know how hit and miss it can be to get it to look right ,

Richy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nicely done Ian,sadly 1/48 is the one scale I ain't got no swastikas in.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

Cracking, is this the same one that Graham built? (if so i have one in the stash waiting to be built) :smiling3:

A thought on the swastikas, as it's a fairly flat surface how about using a craft knife and cutting one out of masking tape? Don't know if it would work but i'd try that before splashing out on £8 sheets, (yep, i'm tight too, former Yorkshireman in Scotland, that's as tight as it gets folks)

Or, how about the printable decal sheets?, am determined to try those meself

T

treyzx10r

looks great Ian,like m1ks said I'de cut the swatiskas yourself ,have you tried frisket paper ?It comes in different tack strengths airbrush artists use it a lot

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If Ian doesn't mind I'll explain the swastikas. They were the 1939 standard and as such have both a white border and,outside that, a very fine black line. They would be difficult to mask ,unlike the late war ones which were just black.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

OK, no problem, masking tape the main body, very fine brush and 10 mins of calming yoga for the white border then construct a brush from a toothpick and a single eyebrow hair and very very carefully paint the fine black border, easy :grinball2:

R

Richy C

Ian pay the 8 quid mate , get the correct decals - job done and you end up with a very nice 109 , and its always handy to have the extra decals in the stash for future projects ,

Richy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
@M1ks: LOL well I'll just send it to ya and you can do it!!

@Richy: You might be right there but I think I will see if there is any thing else that can tempt me and buy a few other bits while I am at it.....

@Steve: I was playing with photoshop trying to get the size I would need from that drawing you posted.... See my comment to Richy LOL

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Nice one Ian, it is a really nice kit isn't it. Great value fr money and a really well engineered model. You certainly have made a good job of it. I left the swastikas off until such time as I get hold of some, I am sure a kit in the future will offer up the spares. Until then, it sits without them in the cupboard.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
might be my solution at the present. Just been hunting on Hannants, and shock horror, I couldnt find any thing I fancied that I can afford!!!! (blasted bank advisers!)

I have given it a sposh of klear, so I should be abl to throw some decals at it tomorrow.

Good grief is that the time!!! (by my watch its twenty to two!!!)

G'night

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I got the most of the decals on.

Graham, what are your views on the 'new' airfix decals? This is the second new kit I have had from them and to put it as politly as possible I think the decal are well printed, nice and thin BUT they fall to bits way to easy!

With the above in mind I have chosen not to put all the stencils on but have settled for the national and squadron markings. The Starbord wing "walk inboard" lines went on, just about, in five bits and was breaking up if I as much as looked at them. We will see what it looks like once they have dried down. It could just be that I will be paying Hannants a visit for a whole load of decals...

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Don't tell anyone Ian but I rarely put all the stencils on, I cannot even see some of them on the sheet never mind the model. Maybe on anything above 1:48 but for me, I just put on the larger ones. The walkway lines did cause a few problems, one broke but I got the feeling it was in pieces anyway on the sheet, until I dd the othe which was in one piece. Apart from that all was OK. They didn't appear to like Microsol much though. It didn't react badly with them, it just had no effect. I have never used Microset (just got a bottle from John) so I don't know if that would have helped although I believe Microsol is the stronger of the two, Microset being more for preperation. However, the combination of the two may have given me better results.

I cannot say that the Airfix decals were bad, certainly had better but they were not the best I have worked with either. I do believe, for me anyway, a set of National decals in 1:48 would be an investment for the future. I am sure I will need them at some point.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Those BoB era machines was painted and repainted several times and a lot of the stencils were overpainted. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm often asked why they disappear on Luftwaffe aircraft but tended to be reapplied by the RAF (at least in the European theatre).

It's because the Luftwaffe did much more painting and repair at unit level whereas RAF aircraft tended to go back to some form of maintenance unit where it seems the rules were more rigorously followed.

Cheers

Steve