Idea for fun GB

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi all.

I just saw a cool idea for a GB on a US forum that I recon could be fun.

It is a "hand paint brush only" GB where any model can enter, but no CA, resin or any other aftermarket parts are allowed.Only what was in the box.

It takes us back to grassroots level when just the building of the model was enough, no airbrushes, and extra "bling" was needed.

What do you guys think?

Theuns

F

Fenlander

Britmodeller did one similar recently where they could build any of the Airfix starter kits using the parts, paints and brushes supplied Only other things were the very basic tools such as sanding sticks and a knife. Not sure if they allowed filler, would have to check. It was very well represented showing some of the best, and worst, of what could be done with these kits.

T

T. van Vuuren

I think maybe filler is OK, some kits are in dire need of it!

I also don''t think we should limit it to a spesific make, maybe if there is enough interest we could limit it to a scale?

Theuns

B

bikerbart

Hiya Thenus. I reckon thats a great idea for a GB. As Graham has stated BM Forum have run a few similar GB ideas, i believe they have done an Airfix one and a Matchbox one.

It would be great to get back to grass roots, however of course these days you can buy kits that already have the resin and PE included in the kit itself and also the new Airfix kits are of a much higher standard. So i guess there would have to be rules stating no kits with these extras included.

I do think filler would have to be inc as some of these old kits were a terrible fit !!! but i love the idea of hand painting only, and no after market additions. I also agree a fixed scale would be a good idea......lets go 1/144 scale...that way we wont need much paint or filler lol. Oh and it would make Tony's day hehe. Maybe there should be a price limit on the kit as well say no more than £15.

Oh this is good fun:smile1: Over to our GB Mod....come on Graham what do ya reckon can we run a couple of GB's at the same time, or would this be a seperate stand alone GB ? Regards Martin :smiling:

T

T. van Vuuren

The 15 squidd mark sounds about right I think.

Yes no "super" kits with resin or eched parts.I can say that I rather like the Academy series of kits as they are simple to do , but with good fit ect.

I do however think that decals are another matter, as the SAAF planes I do are rarely included in the kits and I have a set of decals to use, what do the Mods recon?

Theuns

F

Fenlander

I would have no problems with a second GB running alongside the main one for something like a fun 'Back to Basics' one. However, we do have to remember that this is a modelling forum and there is no need to have special GBs for something like this. Just go ahead and build one. Remember that not everyone on here takes part in the GBs and some would feel we were using the forum for 'agendas' rather than modelling.

G

garethm

Hi All, sounds like a good idea, especially when I have just finished some 1/144 revell planes, two I sprayed, yet the third a F111 I hand painted as I couldn`t be asked to mask it up. I know I`m lazy but it looks good ( in a dark room with the lights out?)

Gareth.

B

bikerbart

Nice one Gareth....the 1/144 stuff is awsome. The Dragon kits are stunning, i have a mate who builds em and the detail is simply breath taking. Im about to send off for some Hurricanes in this scale. Hope we can see some pics of the ones youve done mate, all the best Martin :smiling:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Martin are the hurricanes you mention the sweet kits? if they are youll be amazed at the quality, cheers tony

B

bikerbart

You got it Tony..they are the Sweet one's the Ace's to be exact...tell you why ive gone for them Tony, we are doing a build at the model club i belong to in Exeter to commemorate 70th anniversary of Battle of Britain...and guess what, one of the two Hurricanes in the Sweet kit is one that was based at Exeter during the B of B. How cool is that :smiling: Cheers Tony, all the best Martin.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Youre going to love them martin, the 3 ive done (2xbf109f & 1 wildcat) were excellent, im definitely going to get some more, cheers tony

B

bikerbart

Well it was kinda seeing them beauties that youve done Tony that has made my mind up to pick these to do. Also a friend of mine has done nearly all of the Dragon aircraft in this scale, they look awsome all lined up, Dragon do loads in this scale along with some very impresive helicopters, cheers dude, all the best Martin :smiling:

G

garethm

Martin will post some piccies of 1/144 plane, just to mention I have bought the Revell B2, boy it is bigger than some of my 1/48 scale? By the way I`ve put the Duke on Graham`s under construction site. I must try a Dragon plane soon.

Cheers Gareth.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Like the idea of a grassroots GB, i know Revell have some of the Matchbox molds. I don't know about not using CA though, i like glueing my fingers together lol.

I've had idea for another GB too, everyone has to build a tank from 1939 to 45 any nationality. Here comes the good bit, you're the Commander and you're in for resupply so you can modify and up armour the tank as you wish. But you can only use gear from 39' to 45'. So that could mean a new main gun or added armour, or even parts taken from a different tank, Sherman with the Tiger's 88mm!

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This could be fun.

Instead of calling it a group build and maybe some people feeling obliged to partake, why not call a spad a spad and call them "forum challenge!"

Mini aircraft sound a blast and the ones I have seen on here are really great.

Strangly enough I also like the sound of the single kit challenge. By all those that take part building the same kit; without add on extras (other than decals) make what you can out of it. A basic airfix is an obvious choice, simple, often a challenge to build as it is! And probably in the cheaper end of the price scale.... Could be fun seing how many differrent craft you could get out of the same kit.

As an example the F4 Phantom. Now theres a plane that has had more paint jobs, camo, and make overs than you can shake a stick at!!!

This could open up a whole lot of fun builds.

Ian M

C

Cov1

Some great posts and ideas. Even I would contemplate doing an aircraft as a one off for this. Also like the idea of picking an Airfix or Matchbox kit.

Anyways count me in, though the aircraft canopy might get foggy!! Lol

Ade

B

bikerbart

\ said:
Martin will post some piccies of 1/144 plane, just to mention I have bought the Revell B2, boy it is bigger than some of my 1/48 scale? By the way I`ve put the Duke on Graham`s under construction site. I must try a Dragon plane soon.Cheers Gareth.
Now its funny you should mention the 1/144 scale B2 Gareth....in my stash i have the Revell C17 Globemaster III. Ive had a look in the box and also seen one made at a show....flipping eck it is huge !!!!! When i get around to it, it will be an awsome kit. I will have a look at the Duke mate, thanks for the heads up buddy. Try the Dragon kits mate, i can gaurentee you will not be dissapointed...all the best mate, Martin :smiling:

B

bikerbart

\ said:
This could be fun.Instead of calling it a group build and maybe some people feeling obliged to partake, why not call a spad a spad and call them "forum challenge!"

Mini aircraft sound a blast and the ones I have seen on here are really great.

Strangly enough I also like the sound of the single kit challenge. By all those that take part building the same kit; without add on extras (other than decals) make what you can out of it. A basic airfix is an obvious choice, simple, often a challenge to build as it is! And probably in the cheaper end of the price scale.... Could be fun seing how many differrent craft you could get out of the same kit.

As an example the F4 Phantom. Now theres a plane that has had more paint jobs, camo, and make overs than you can shake a stick at!!!

This could open up a whole lot of fun builds.

Ian M
Does sound good dont it Ian. Forum challange sounds good and would i guess keep it from over doing the GB. I guess we needs the Mods to step in and give the go ahead? Regards Martin :smiling:

B

bikerbart

\ said:
Some great posts and ideas. Even I would contemplate doing an aircraft as a one off for this. Also like the idea of picking an Airfix or Matchbox kit.Anyways count me in, though the aircraft canopy might get foggy!! Lol

Ade
I know what you mean Ade....aircraft scare the living hell outta me lol....never completed one YET!!!! Regards Martin :-0