I'm new to modelling. Where do I start?

O

os40

I've made one model so far and it looks pathetic.

I'm currently making a Eurofighter Typhoon. It looks okay, but I messed up the canopy. It tried to wet and dry smooth it but it looks scratched. Also it isn't smooth around the edges. I don't know what to do with it.

I also am struggling LOTS with the paints. I have ordered some Tamiya paints from eBay for a decent price so I hope using better paints will improve the quality of the model, instead of using the terrible supplied Airfix paints...

Is there like some kind of 'basic' checklist for a modeller tool kit? I see many of you here have airbrushes. I'm a 21 year old student who simply cannot afford to spend £150 on a airbrushing kit with compressor :P

For the main body, I would prefer to use an aerosol can, and then try to paint fine details using brush. But I'm so bad at it, and it looks awful. I'll post pics of my current model in a while.

But yes, I'm mainly looking for advice here on painting.

Lastly, how do I give the model a nice 'FINISH' after applying the decals? I don't want the decals to stick our like a sore thumb. On my previous model, its the decals look like they were pasted on. I see some pictures here and they look seamless with the paintjob.

A

AdamM

Hello and welcome.

Firstly regarding the paints, Tamiya do make some good quality paints and are much better in my opinion than Humbrol and Airfix.

Checklist, i dont use an airbrush (being 18 and a student like yourself, i can not afford one) so i use Tamiya aerosol cans, i find they provide a good finish. I would also make sure you have the following, Stanley knife (good for cutting out decals etc) tweezers, good for holding the decals in the water, pliers for snapping off the components and a nail file for smoothing out any imperfections with the components.

For the body shell of my kits i use nothing but an aerosol to apply the paint, at a budget price it provides the best finish.

As for the decals, i just dip them in water and carefully slide them onto the model and smooth them out.

I have only built one kit so far, currently in the process of building my second. The result of my first kit can be seen here, post 1.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/completed/13570-my-first-ever-kit-nismo-r34-z-tune.html

Hope i have been useful.

O

os40

Your first build? WOW. Simply incredible. That is a fantastic build mate.

How did you paint the intricate details? And did you use any primer for the body? And when you finished it, did you use any 'varnish'? If yes, please tell me what you used. But that Nissan looks top notch. It's superb.

A

AdamM

A lot of the details are stickers such as the "Nismo" on the wheels and the "GT" shield on the front wings. I used no primer for the body as it came pre painted in a dull grey colour. I used no varnish or colour enhancement for the bodyshell once i had applied the silver.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hello os40 and welcome to the madhouse.

I think you have already had some good advice regarding using the aerosol sprays,they will,with care,give an acceptable finish.

You can certainly brush paint detail,I do it in all my cockpits and engine bays for example. I would suggest investing as much as you reasonably can in some decent brushes. If you look after them they should last a while and will make your painting much easier. There is still no substitute for practice!

I would strongly suggest investing in a scalpel handle and a pack of No10 and No11 blades,less than a round of drinks!

Nip to Halfords or similar and get a sheet or two of 400 grit and 1500 grit wet 'n' dry. This will cover all your sanding needs.

For your decals there is a simple and inexpensive system.

You will need to buy two products which make up a two step process. They are not expensive and,again,will last for ages. They are Microset and Microsol.

1 Gloss your model. You can use an acrylic floor polish for this. One bottle will last years. Paint it on with a brush,it's a self levelling floor polish so no need to worry about brush marks. Many use Pledge Klear,there are lots of threads on Klear.

2 Apply your decals onto the model. Wet the area of the model on which the decal is to be applied with microset,this will help the decal to settle down. Make sure you get all the excess liquid and air out from under the decal. I just use a tissue to press and smooth the little b@ggers down.

3 Once dry paint the decals with microsol. This stuff will soften the decal and suck it down into the detail. You can repeat the process if needed. DON'T TOUCH the decal whilst it is softened or you will mess it up!

4 When you are happy seal in all your fine work with another varnish. If you are weathering I'd do another coat of the gloss,if not give it a coat of whatever you want your final finish to be.Varnishes are available in aerosol too. I don't use aerosols but someone here will be able to advise you.

You won't get 'silvering' where trapped air makes the carrier film visible and you should get a 'painted on' look.

Here's one I prepared earlier

I know the forum shop does scalpels and I bet it also does microsol/microset.

Good luck

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
O

os40

Thanks. Very useful info there. What kind of Varnish could I use?

Last edited:
O

os40

\ said:
Thanks :smiling3: A lot of the details are stickers such as the "Nismo" on the wheels and the "GT" shield on the front wings. I used no primer for the body as it came pre painted in a dull grey colour. I used no varnish or colour enhancement for the bodyshell once i had applied the silver.
By intricate details I meant the inside of the car, as well as the wheels brake disks. Did you simply dab them in Tamiya paints and painted away? Did you also use masking tape to help keep the process clean?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The scratched up canopy could be saved with good old fashioned toothpaste! I believe that a couple of guys on here have had great results. You could also try nail polishing sticks. You can buy them cheap in a "womans" shop, Boots chemists and the like. If you have a girl friend/wife, she might help you with that one. Make sure they are polishing sticks and NOT shaping sticks, ( they do make good sanding sticks though!).

Just to open a can of worms, Humbrol paints, (enamels) are great for brush painting, as are Vallejo Model color acrylics. but its a matter of personal preference.

One of the best things you can use to great effect is time! Just take your time and half the problem is solved.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use four things to paint detail,a magnifier,a fine brush,paint that brushes well and patience. As Ian says,take your time. If you go wrong walk away,it's easy to fix once it has dried.

Cheers

Steve

O

os40

Toothpaste? I'll give it a go right now haha.

Also, should I be buying a respirator mask when modelling? The glue smells a bit funny and seems to go right in my head. I know I'll definitely need one when using a can of spray paint. Which one can I get which will last me a very long time?

A

AdamM

\ said:
By intricate details I meant the inside of the car, as well as the wheels brake disks. Did you simply dab them in Tamiya paints and painted away? Did you also use masking tape to help keep the process clean?
I painted the disks with a very small brush and did not use masking tape, same goes for the interior such as the 2 tone steering wheel. I only have 3 brushes at the moment, made by Tamiya and they set me back £9.50 from modelzone. Well worth it in my opinion.

O

os40

What mask can I buy to protect me from the fumes? The polycement I use seems to have a very strong scent and appears to go right down my throat.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I do use a cartridge type of mask for spraying but I don't use it for assembly. I use liquid cement that evaporates fast so I always put the top back on! I've never had a problem with glue fumes,you use so little of it and exposure is not long.

Cheers

Steve

O

os40

What mask do you have for spraying? How much would that cost?

K

kaiyudsai

The only way to improve is to practice.... Your first few kits are good for practicing different techniques.... I came back to modelling after a long hiatus.... and alot had changed.... but with the age of the internet.. you can look at what alot of people have done and learn techniques and tricks from others..... Buy you a few dinker kits... that arent too expensive...... Use them for practice.... try different techniques one them..... That way you can get some skills down pat before you go to work on a kit that you have some $$ invested in... Im a firm believer that a telented modeller can take any kit and make it good... but with the level of detail in some of these kits these days and aftermarket accessories..... the possibilities are endless...

If you like to brush paint Tamiya acrylics arent the best choice....... I swear by model master enamels..... and dont use much else.... An airbrush will be your best weapon.... Model building totally changes when you brin g an airbrush into your kit.... there are some really great deals out there.... I lucked out and got a compressor at a pawn shop.. I order everything else online..... it saves money big time....