"Imagine"

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
For all you "Tankers" a bit of fantasy.........Ahh, if only:rolleyes: If only man never learned to break the bounds of terrestrial dependency, if only he never learned to put those infernal but deadly insects in the air. Imagine the tracked titans that would have prowled the earth in mans unceasing desire to destroy his fellow man.......Ahh, if only:rolleyes:View attachment 118511

View attachment 118512

View attachment 118513

One can dream, can't heo_Oarticle-1262882-08F73F75000005DC-497_634x363.jpg

2014-07-18_00005.jpg

20110712010952_7m46s.jpg

0ne48thtel

Imagine making models of some of these they would be huge.

D

dougie

Imagine, owning shares in an ear defender company if they made these

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thankfully, the concept of a landkreuzer failed to get off the drawing board

Lee :smiling3:

S

scorched_earth_policy

Agree with Monica. This is why I always preferred German armour; the scale of imagination and engineering ability never held back :confused:

L

Laurie

The best tanks in the world were in world war 1 and 2.

They were called battleships. With 16" shells they could fire 24 miles. Easily manoeuvrable. Easily transportable. Carried so many shells.

Pity they were useless beyond 24 miles form the seashore.

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I like the look of that grey one it's got something about it, the others well pretty boring really , the Germans had some crazy ideas about aircraft and tanks and the tanks were not really feasible, so slow you could walk away from it lol

First Name
barry
Looks good Si do you fancy scratching the big one you would need a lot of plastic card LOL.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks for the lively responses, thought it would only get an eye roll or two. Really though when you think about it in a world without " the air" vast expanses of continental areas would have to be invaded or defended and even with surface to surface missals allowed, boots on the ground is the only real way to secure territory. I think the weight and ground pressure problems would be solved easy enough though getting them across the seas will always be a problem since no anti-submarine air would be available, I assume of course they would come across in sections to be assembled in a secured beach head. These huge rolling fortresses could also be driven into place and used statically for indefinite periods. Of course there would be a full compliment smaller more agile vehicles for various and obvious reasons. Not really a sci-fi or fantasy guy but when it comes to tanks all bets are off :rolleyes:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
I think tanks are on the way out ! :eek:
Laurie
No no my friend, that was thought to be the case many times over their history but in the real world that is simply not the case:cool:

L

Laurie

\ said:
No no my friend, that was thought to be the case many times over their history but in the real world that is simply not the case:cool:
OK Jim. Why ?

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I would have thought, mobility and firepower.

L

Laurie

Well they were no good in Afghanistan cos the other side did not have tanks, I think.

They were not much cop in the Iraqi war as the Iraqi tanks were located and hit by guided missiles from F16.

If Iraq had the same capability they would have crucified USA & GB tanks.

Same story as Battleships which were outdated in the WW11 and superseded

by aircraft carriers. Battleships decimated at Pearl Harbour. The Hood and

Bismark went in a week. Prince of Wales and Repulse sunk the same day.

Except The Hood all due to aircraft.

Drones can locate and transmit information from a battlefield and aircraft

well back from the battle field can release targeted missiles to destroy.

Tanks are slow easily detectable targets. Nice juicy infra-red targets at night

and in the day. Any hope they have at the moment will be erased by all the

new technology coming through. Includes robots in many forms.

Laurie

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Israel have put good use to their tanks...for anti missile self defense they have a Trophy system...this certainly works against RPGS and said like weapons, it acts like a shield for incoming ordnance.

The Americans are looking into it for their vehicles.

As for Afghanistan, the Americans, Canadians and Dutch to name some countries did put tanks in the field, to do a tank job but at the same time act as close support artillery.

Laurie, if Iraq had the same capabilities as ourselves and the Americans, it wouldn't of made a difference due to training, we train hard and are trained to the highest standards, the Iraqis were trained!

Manually driven or robots, the tank will continue on the battlefield, armies have learnt that the soldier and tank need each other for support.

Lee :smiling3: