Iron Man 3 "Iron Patriot" Update 2

First Name
Adrian
Stared work on yet another Ironman build, with 5 other Iron Man kits out there that I need to get I thought I best clear some room :smiling3:

Been a Dragon kit I'm now used to the vague instructions and poor paint guides, luckily been a huge Iron Man fan paint colours wont be an issue though I am tempted to do the correct matt red white and blue not the metallic ones :smiling3:

View attachment 88464

Adrian

001.JPG

P

phikoleoputra

Watching this one closely, as I have the Mk. XLIII in my stash. :smiling3:

First Name
Adrian
The Mk. XLIII was the last one I did, very enjoyable build, I did do an under construction thread but here's my completed thread for you to have a look at

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/completed-ironman-mk-xlii.25381/

Adrian

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
will be interesting to see how he turns out Adrian ;)

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I have my seat, and in the front row. I'm in on this one Adrian.

Have fun, John

First Name
Adrian
Only a paint update on my build due to me working hard to remove any seams on the armour :smiling3:

Anyway as per the norm for my Iron Man builds I'll be using Alclad II paints, I use these after seeing how my first Mk IV turned out using standard Tamiya paints, the depth is no where near as good or as bright so since then the MKVII and MKXLII have all been painted with Alclad. I know some people say they are a little arkward to use but I honestly believe it's all in the preparation, hence why Its taking me a long while to remove seams and making sure I have a smooth surface to prime with Alclad Black Base coat.

The colours I've gone with are Chrome, Hotmetal Red, Transparent Red and for the blue I'm going to try Candy Indigo Enamel, this colour has its own base coat over the black base, Bright Silver Candy base.

Once I have some sub-assemblies done I'll post some pictures.

Adrian

M

m1ks

Haven't seen the Dragon kits but I did build a Moebius MkIII

To my mind still the best looking suit of all of them despite being the 'first' (technically third), suit, though i'd like a MkV suitcase suit model.

The best match for colour I found were Tamiya Titanium gold and clear red (red over a basecoat of Humbrol metalcote stainless with a light buffing)

That said, the MkIII was a much darker shade of red compared to the MkIV onwards which I think is another reason I like it.

It will be interesting to see this one develop, I like the war machine armour and colour scheme, it'd be nice to see some of the alternatives from IM III get moulded too, the hulkbuster would be an excellent kit.

First Name
Adrian
Hmm the Moebius was marketed as the MK III in the bright colours and packaged as MKII in silver.

I have the Igor model on its way from America as its £25 cheaper than over here, I've built War Machine, there's a thread on here somewhere :smiling3: Along with the XLII

There have been several new releases in the past few months, with Igor, Midas, Heartbreaker and Starboost all been released from the 3rd film

Tamiya Titaniuim gold is good , but I've found it tarnishes after a year, as can be seen on my MKIV at shows :sad:

Adrian

First Name
Adrian
Been having a play with my colours this weekend on my Iron Patriot, apart from the bad reaction I got trying to spray Hotmetal Red onto the Candy Silver base I'm pretty happy with the tones, its a complex masking job, even more so than the MK42.

I'll post better pictures up soon as I start to put him together.

View attachment 91567

Adrian

001.JPG

First Name
Adrian
Yeah, not looking forward to the pin stripe red I will have to do. Decided to get it moved along as I have counted 6 new kits in the Iron Man range I don't have now and with next years new Avengers film there will be another 4 at least from what I see :smiling3:

Adrian

Last edited by a moderator:
P

phikoleoputra

I'm really interested in the Igor kit, but it's so expensive. :sad:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Adrian,do like the colors, look so nice and shinny,:rolleyes:

you going to put LED,s in this one,?

do like the look with them, :D

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
I'm really interested in the Igor kit, but it's so expensive. :sad:
Planning on getting one at Telford if the price is right, Igor is the suit the develops into the Hulkbuster suit seen in the new Avengers trailer.

\ said:
looking good Adrian,do like the colors, look so nice and shinny,:rolleyes:you going to put LED,s in this one,?

do like the look with them, :D
The hands are closed into fists on this model so all that would be lit up is the chest and visor, so I wont be lighting this one, sorry :sad:

Adrian

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
:sad: ,still will look awesome, like the other will be keeping an eye on this one, ;)

First Name
Adrian

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking very good Adrian,liking it, ;)

C

callmehobbes

I was tempted to get one of these for my son to tempt him into the world of modelling. Looking good.

P

phikoleoputra

Looks good Adrian, the masking seems like even scarier than the Mk. 42