is this one of the worst kits ever produced

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I can't imagine that many non-warsaw pact models were available in the 70's - here's a later boxing
ogonek-38-soviet-russian.jpg
In 1/30! They still can be found on auction sites as 'rare' collectors items.
I used to have a Polish pen-friend in the 80's, and I used to send him one or two Hasegawa kits, and he would send me a big box of KP models - the exchange rate was pretty good! BUT there's only so many clunky, badly moulded, paper decalled, cloudy cockpits you could stand!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hi Jakko, I did build that monstrosity of an LVT by Bluetank...
I did find mine, but I discovered it’s in pieces and has a number of “fantasy” modifications that date from a time when I decided to use it for other purposes than as a serious model.

I get nightmares but this will prove anything is possible.
I’ve also seen LVT(2)s and (4)s constructed on the basis of this kit, which is an even greater achievement if you ask me. Me, I kind of gave up on the Italeri LVT(4) because of the amount of work it needs to make a Second World War version (and have a AFV Club one in the stash as a replacement :smiling3:).

This is the finished kit with waders stuck onto existing track...
That looks very good, but going by the detail on the figures and the style of the painting, it doesn’t give the impression you built this twenty or thirty years ago — so why didn’t you just take an Italeri LVT and convert that? :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
here's a later boxing
Ooh, the box definitely looks a lot better — not just than the old one, but also than the kit inside :smiling3:

It also says that on my box: the МАСШТАБЕ 1:30 (transliterated: masshtabe) in the upper right corner means “SCALE 1:30” (compare the Russian to the German Maßstab, which means “scale”).

They still can be found on auction sites as 'rare' collectors items.
Yeah, probably sold by people who bought one by mistake.

I used to have a Polish pen-friend in the 80's, and I used to send him one or two Hasegawa kits, and he would send me a big box of KP models - the exchange rate was pretty good!
I have a similar experience, though trading 1/35th scale Italeri kits for some 7TP kits by Mirage (which were actually pretty good, except for the tracks) and a vacuum-formed and white metal Polish armoured car.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I did find mine, but I discovered it’s in pieces and has a number of “fantasy” modifications that date from a time when I decided to use it for other purposes than as a serious model.

I’ve also seen LVT(2)s and (4)s constructed on the basis of this kit, which is an even greater achievement if you ask me. Me, I kind of gave up on the Italeri LVT(4) because of the amount of work it needs to make a Second World War version (and have a AFV Club one in the stash as a replacement :smiling3:).

That looks very good, but going by the detail on the figures and the style of the painting, it doesn’t give the impression you built this twenty or thirty years ago — so why didn’t you just take an Italeri LVT and convert that? :smiling3:

Hi Jakko, I had already built and spent time on modifying this horrible kit and by the time I was adding waders to the track Italeri had only produced the LVT-4 Buffalo troop carrier and not the LVT(A)-4. The dio is very recent although it was consieved around the time the Italeri LVT-4 came out.:smiling2:

Well proves you can make something's look great Richard. I'd have most likely set fire to it !:hungry::hungry:
John

Hi John, if I had the time I would have switched to the better Italeri kit as the dimensions were off that's why I buried most of the back end in the sand.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
colin
After seeing your LTV I take my hat of to Richard . Mine will sit in the never to be built stash.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Colin, thanks. At the time I had only the Tamiya mate Howitzer turret as reference to improve the kit turret. Had I had more reference for the body I would have either attempted or abandoned it but seeing that it was the only game in town I accepted the discrepancies especally the hull hatches and that it was more leaning towards the later LVT5. After the next two years the tracks however had to be done and by this time Italeri had the Buffalo out but instead of replacing it I still tortured myself.:smiling6:
In my early teens when I couldn't afford kits I used to carve them from wood or discarded polysterene foam. I guess that why I find it very hard to abandon or bin a kit and rather save it.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
In my early teens when I couldn't afford kits I used to carve them from wood or discarded polysterene foam.
I used to know someone who built Warhammer 40,000 tanks from polystyrene foam, card, and assorted other bits he had at hand, because he found Games Workshop’s kits to be much too expensive (and I can’t blame him :smiling3:). The best thing about this was when he took them to a game store whose owner was rather pro-GW, and who complimented him on building the kits (yes, he apparently said kits) so well. Then the builder told him, “Pick one up” :smiling3: