Israel Defence Forces M247 DIVADS

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks :smiling3: I need to fill those gaps on the edges of the engine deck, though, but I keep forgetting because it’s not as obvious IRL as in the pictures …

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Everything for this model together:

IMG_0914.jpeg

Well, minus the radar covers, as I forgot to put them in the picture …

The tracks are finally fully assembled, which was the last bit that needed to be done, and I hope Meng’s recommended 101 links are correct. If not, then at least Meng is not one of those manufacturers that give you only just enough links. This is what I had left after building two full tracks and losing some pins early on before I worked out how to best put the links together:

IMG_0917.jpeg

On the tank, the guns are still loose, as is the Stinger launcher. I’ll only remove the wheels from the sprues once they’ve been painted. The commander is from MiniArt, though he still needs a lead for his headphones, and the jerrycans are from Academy.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's looking great Jakko. The tracks look good but sound a nightmare. Having some links with short moulded holes just adds to the difficulties. I like the look of those cutters for brass but they are a heavy price for something that probably won't get a lot of use. As Scottie says "time for paint".

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice work bring on the paint.
Soon™

I hope™

;)

The tracks look good but sound a nightmare.
I’ve built worse, if I’m honest. Like all of these workable tracks, the first bits are difficult because you have to figure out how this particular set is easiest to put together. Once that’s done, it’s mostly a matter of doing it in chunks to fight off the boredom.

I like the look of those cutters for brass but they are a heavy price for something that probably won't get a lot of use.
Like I said, I came across them in a second-hand tool shop without even realising exactly what they were. Because they were obviously high quality and the thickness of copper wire they’re for is printed on them, I eventually, after some deliberation, decided to buy them for what I thought was a lot of money already :smiling3: Not a tool I use much, but it comes in very handy at those times when I need brass wire cut without the pointed end you get with regular snips, so I don’t regret buying them. But I most certainly wouldn’t buy a new set if these break :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Junk.

IMG_0959.jpeg

That’s a good word to describe Stynylrez primer, IMHO. The text on the bottle says to use it unthinned and spray thin layers until the underlying colour disappears, so I did. With the result you can see in the photo. This is the third time I’ve tried using it, and the first time on a whole model — well, two, actually, because I also sprayed the metal parts on the Sherman I was given at the same time. To get this fine result took me three quarters of an hour, and it still doesn’t cover properly, but I gave up because my airbrush (Aztek with a light blue nozzle) did due to being clogged so badly I had a devil of a time getting it to even spray airbrush cleaner.

For comparison:

IMG_0960.jpeg

This is the turret of the Sherman, after about ten seconds’ worth of spraying Vallejo white primer from an aerosol can (plus ten more on the other side), which I did because I want a white line on the turret but didn’t think I’d get there easily with the Stynylrez.

As a primer, if you ask me, Stynylrez lives up to the name on the bottle: crap.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'd completely agree with you on the white. I have an almost full bottle that I'll not use again unless I'm really desperate.

I've found the grey & black to be excellent however (in the rebranded UMP bottles). Chalk & cheese, as if they are completely different products to the white!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Odd, that. It would be nice if I knew someone local who owned a bottle of grey or black, who would let me test it. As it is, I think I’ll not buy any and instead first follow advice I got elsewhere about this, to buy a €3 rattle can from the Action, as this is apparently very good primer. If that doesn’t work out either I might just see about a different colour of Stynylrez.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Thanks for the information about the tracks, I think I would take the laborious route and drill them straight through and use either metal or plastic rod.
Primer, I think that is where my bottle finished up in the c----er.... I have been converted over to the MrFinishing/Mahogany/Black/White in a 50/50 brand thinner.
Now get some paint on the job, my ice cream is melting....