Issue 94 Observations & warning.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Issue 94 gives you the second set of centre section struts mentioned last week,I strongly advise you not to glue the struts together as shown in the instructions,by doing so means that the lower portions of the struts cannot be anchored easily as they need to be thread through the upper metal shroud,this will prohibit the shroud riding upwards to gain access !

Also it is suggested the side cowls be glued into place,once again by doing this at this stage will make the access to the control cables difficult.

Further investigation of the control run from the aileron pulley to the lower floor area confirms that the cable can be threaded aft of the spar,it threads between the spar and the ammo box itself,my worst fear was having to drill through the spar but this will not be necessary,work for the time being is frozen until we get more parts,this is not exactly helped by next weeks offering a stingy piece of cockpit coaming ! it is obvious that by doing this people cannot back out as Hachette have conveniently left the cowlng to issue 100,if we had the more difficult to make bits then we could have easily made the others,charging us £3.99 for a piece of rubber is a bit steep.

So we only have six more issues to go and still need-

Cowling,undercarriage bungee rubber,undercarriage struts,wing rib lacing,control cable material,decals.

What a drag to have to wait six weeks for these !

C

crashgate4

Barry, you're so impatient !!

I'm only up to issue 83, I agree though I could do with doing the control runs now. It's pointless waiting till we've finished building the Fokker and then having to get back inside.

I assume that the cowling supports the engine against the bulkhead so we wont be able to fix the engine on and certainly wont glue the cowling as the engine is one of the best bits and needs to be seen.

Trevor

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Barry, you're so impatient !!I'm only up to issue 83, I agree though I could do with doing the control runs now. It's pointless waiting till we've finished building the Fokker and then having to get back inside.

I assume that the cowling supports the engine against the bulkhead so we wont be able to fix the engine on and certainly wont glue the cowling as the engine is one of the best bits and needs to be seen.

Trevor
***Trevor I have been married to this thing for two dam years now !!:anicake: I need to move onto other more worthwhile projects with parts that fit.

Now you have a point regarding the heavy rotary engine,it just appears to hang in mid air with no support at the rear,what it needs is a small circlip aft,not even sure how the front cowl or the upper shroud are attached ? one answer is to display the engine complete with prop on a separate engine stand,one or two modellers have already made up stands and it has to be said the engine is a display item on its own and looks good.

Today I dug out my 1=8th scale Clerget rotary engine,this was made many years ago by Hasegawa for their Sopwith Camel,the detail even goes down to wire-locked spark plugs,a scratch built Camel is in the back of my mind:cheeseygr

C

crashgate4

Barry , you mean we're not the only two people making this Fokker. I too made a wooden stand to display the engine as when this started it did show promise, but like you I am getting more and more frustrated with the amount of bogging(?) needed.

Yes a circlip would help support the motor but is there enough shaft protuding to fit one ?

Trevor