Italeri 1/24 Ford Transit Completed

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Having spent the last few weeks on teeny tiny 1/100 kits, I thought it was time for a change. I picked this up at a show a couple of years ago for £20. I've seen a couple of build reviews and not come across any issues, so having test fit the main components just to be sure, here we go.

First up, I won't be building this as a Police vehicle. Don't know yet whether it will be newish or a rusted wreck or what sort of colours it will have. I'm tempted to do a rusty old wreck having seen this:

Of course, I won't be matching this sort of quality, but some of the techniques he uses look possible, even for a ham-fisted oaf like me!

Box and sprues etc.:

IMGP3738.JPG

Lovely one-piece body saves all that messing around lining up individual panels
IMGP3739.JPGIMGP3741.JPG

One-piece floor pan and chassis so no lining up needed here either
IMGP3742.JPGIMGP3743.JPGIMGP3744.JPGIMGP3745.JPGIMGP3746.JPG

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That thing is HUGE..........You can put your magnifiers away for this one:rolling: Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Nice, the old ESCI kit - I could fancy doing one of these as a rusty wreck

I did their Range Rover on here a couple of years ago as a rusty restoration - great fun

My vote is for rust Dave :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm with Mr. T on this Dave.......I followed the Range Rover that Simon did and it was the BOMB!

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You guys are only saying that to give me more work to do! I've seen one rather nice build of this where the builder didn't paint the main body, he just put a varnish over the white plastic. But I suppose I got to give in to public opinion, so rust it is. Don't expect anything spectacular folks, then you probably won't be disappointed!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
O.K. Dave, I have significantly lowered my expectations, so any thing you do will be all right with me.......ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've got a plan!

This is going to be an old Rock group's well used van. Not the Stones or Zeppelin of course, just a wannabe group doing pub gigs up and down the country. Got the colour decided, and decals for the name of the group and their logos - but I'll leave that as a surprise! I will give you a hint though, it's modelling related - but only sorta kinda. There will be rust and signs of aging, but it's not going to be a total wreck. The two front doors and tailgate can be posed open but that will only cause me extra work trying to detail the inside so I'll have them shut and just put minimal details inside.

Might even meet Rick's expectations - if he wakes up that is!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
What a good idea. Looking forward to seeing it come together.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great idea dave , love the bands van concept . Are you going to add any other bits like guitar /drum cases , amps etc ? My other hope was you were going to have it as a Sweeney style bank robbers Tranny , dark blue , complete with driver and passenger with tights on their heads !!!!:smiling5:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Great idea dave , love the bands van concept . Are you going to add any other bits like guitar /drum cases , amps etc ? My other hope was you were going to have it as a Sweeney style bank robbers Tranny , dark blue , complete with driver and passenger with tights on their heads !!!!:smiling5:

Nice idea Tony, but I ain't got the skills for all that. I was thinking more along the lines of the lead singer went and got married or into rehab or summat, so the band split up. The van's been sitting at the back of his house quietly rusting away ever since.

Nowt stopping you doin' a Sweeney van though is there?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice idea Tony, but I ain't got the skills for all that. I was thinking more along the lines of the lead singer went and got married or into rehab or summat, so the band split up. The van's been sitting at the back of his house quietly rusting away ever since.

Nowt stopping you doin' a Sweeney van though is there?
With my figure painting skills ( read - lack of ) I should be able to just about manage a squashed distorted face!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I hope this works, cos if it don't I've been an' gone an' ruined a perfectly good kit!

IMGP3747.JPGIMGP3748.JPGIMGP3749.JPGIMGP3750.JPG

Assortment of browns gradually moving to orange and yellow with less of each colour as I added them. I used this high quality brush to just stipple dabs of colour. Hopefully I can also use it with my masking to get the right effect.

IMGP3751.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good to me..perhaps a little more rust around the headlights? It looks a bit like my first car, a Morris 1300 that fell apart in front of my eyes.
Quality brush that, by the way, make sure you look after it LOL,,,

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ooops! Made a boo boo - got a bit of clean up to do.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Too much rust in the inside - now sorted.

Does anyone know if 1984 Transits had steel or aluminjum wheels? I need to weather them but don't want to put rust on aluminjum.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
They would have been steel Dave , they only started offering alloys fairly recently, but don’t forget the kit has wheel trims to fit over the wheels so if you use them then don’t rust them up , although in 1984 I don’t think many jobbing transits would have had wheel trims , don’t know about the police spec ones though.