Italin Armoured Car 1ZM

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
So obviously I've sufficient what ever to post this ,so thought I'd get this one under the way before starting the russian gb ,wouldn't usually pay this much for a kit but in a moment of madness well you know how it is.
Not much to it really very few nicely moulded parts ,flashy instruction sheet ,one big fold out sheet of that nice thick waxy card paper(printed sheet would gave done could have knocked a couple of quid off of the price)nice decals by cartograph. Built up with no probs.
20220122_110346.jpg
20220122_110404.jpg
20220122_110412.jpg
Will tidy up bench in a mo and chuck some primer at it this afternoon then tomorrow at some point show it some green.
Dave

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Interesting model Dave, I'll follow along if you don't mind :smiling3:
As for "tidying up the bench"?.....
.... It looks pretty much spotless to me!!
Andy

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi David
I do like these heavy armoured cars. Surprisingly some country's were still using them in WW2. I don't know whether this was one such vehicle.
It seems to have gone together well.
Jim

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Forced myself away from the TV and squirted some primer at it ,I know one mans poison and all that but I really like the mig one shot never had a issue with it one of my faves.
20220122_145455.jpg
20220122_145508.jpg
All being well will squirt some green at it tomorrow ,if I had a gripe about this kit it would be the colour call out apparently its pale green no makers numbers nothing .Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi David
I do like these heavy armoured cars. Surprisingly some country's were still using them in WW2. I don't know whether this was one such vehicle.
It seems to have gone together well.
Jim
Havent a clue Jim I know it carried on between the wars but only then from the decal call out ,no probs with the build but I think the box art work dragged me in more than the subject.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
According to my sources the original colour was pale grey (1915). From 1916 the Lancia Ansaldo 1ZM were re-painted in gray-green (similar to FS 34082). Later the colour tone darkend, becoming similar to FS 34095. Being "war paints", I wouldn't bother too much about the precise tone of green. Someone has suggested that Humbrol 116 and Humbrol 149 are a good approximation to the real colours.
The Tri-colour band painted on the turret (green up and red down) was a distinctive mark of those A/C and was meant to distinguish those still in service with the Italian Army from those captured by the Austro-Hungarian Army after November 1917.
They played a rather important role both during the retreat from the Isonzo to the Piave river in Nov. 1917 and the subsequent advance towards Trieste in Oct. 1918.

Hoping my endeavour gave you satisfaction, Dave, :rolling: I wish you a spotless and smooth painting session. :thumb2:

Andrea

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
According to my sources the original colour was pale grey (1915). From 1916 the Lancia Ansaldo 1ZM were re-painted in gray-green (similar to FS 34082). Later the colour tone darkend, becoming similar to FS 34095. Being "war paints", I wouldn't bother too much about the precise tone of green. Someone has suggested that Humbrol 116 and Humbrol 149 are a good approximation to the real colours.
The Tri-colour band painted on the turret (green up and red down) was a distinctive mark of those A/C and was meant to distinguish those still in service with the Italian Army from those captured by the Austro-Hungarian Army after November 1917.
They played a rather important role both during the retreat from the Isonzo to the Piave river in Nov. 1917 and the subsequent advance towards Trieste in Oct. 1918.

Hoping my endeavour gave you satisfaction, Dave, :rolling: I wish you a spotless and smooth painting session. :thumb2:

Andrea
Many thanks Andrea ive a jar of faded green as you say any old green will more than likely be somewhere handy so I'm sure with a bit of pre and post shading it'll turn out OK. Once again thanks for the input as I've said before its what makes this little site so wonderful. Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Loving that David. The tyre colour in particular is spot on :thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
Take a bow mate, that is very nice.
Looking very good Dave.
Pete
A very nice model, David, and the colour looks really spot on. :thumb2: :cool:
Andrea
David, Superb work.
David, Superb work.
Thanks all ,plus the likes ,put this one down with mr hobby aqueous haven't used it for a while totally forgot what a brilliant paint to use flawless sprays like a dream I can see the mig stuff going to the back of the queue. Once dry the whole thing was given a coat of VMS satin varnish put under a tupper ware type box as a dust cover and left to dry ,decals added with a little bit of setter (mr Hobby) decal softener was velajho then straight on with what ive been doingThis little kit is a good one not a great one saying that good fun to work on because of the separate panels/ sections you can come and go as you please not having to get bogged down if that makes sense. Have done a bit more since the pics were taken looking at the pics I dont think that there will be much in the way of dust or mud its busy enough without adding something else to look at . Its taken me some time but have really found less is more I used to try and fit a whole book of techniques on one little kit.
I cant recomend the VMS varnish enough absolutely brilliant fool proof check it out on YouTube then grab yourself some from John at the SMShop. I dont like to bandy brands about but I will if I feel they deserve the mention dont worry as some of you know I'm not afraid to put to the sword thoes that deserve it. Dave.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Fantastic Dave...
I love it... . Blimmin quick too!! :smiling3:
Andy