It's my Birthday?

B

Bill's Bunker

Hi,

Well it's not quite! it's about 2 and a bit weeks away, But while we were in town shopping the other day, I popped into the Toy-Craft-model shop, well the only decent shop we have in Leicester (and one of the biggest in the Midlands) and I saw Dragon kits 50% off, so with the hope that the wife and daughter would give me cash as usual I got 3!! Not done a good big build for ages.... Been stuck on some very old Tamiya kits, a bit disappointed lots of eject marks and fill to do..

I got 6454 Strumhaubitze 42, looks like aStug IIIG with a 105mm gun, 6676 an Sd.Kfz 10/5 a half-track truck with a 2cm flak and 6226 an older Bergerpanzer Tiger (P)... Should keep my happy for some time.

Started on the StuH 42, have just thought of what might be a problem, that's decals, this kits as a molded on waffle zimmerit. If I put the decals on before the washes the area under them may look to NEW? So should I gloss varnish and add them right at the very end of painting, weathering, etc. The colour will be Tamiya dark Yellow with a wash of MIG TAN filter, etc....

The details on this kit are really very good with some PE and wire tow cable, etc. Not forgetting Magic track links, which I've not used before.

Here's a few images, more to follow as I progress. Note the torsion bars and the pegs? in the road wheels for the track hooks.

Regards

Mel.

View attachment 38767View attachment 38768View attachment 38769

View attachment 42828

View attachment 42829

View attachment 42830

StuH-1.jpg

StuH-2.jpg

StuH-3.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Mel

I would always apply decals before any weathering. When you apply the decals ensure there's a good gloss finish and you'll probably need to use some decal softener to allow the decals to conform to the waffle pattern Zimm.

That kit looks great by-the-way, the Zimm looks very good and the detail around the transmission is excellent.

All the best

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CDW

Happy birthday for the future :smiling3:

Kit looks as though it'll go together ok from the piccies, decals is my downfall .. can't seen to get them right ... i'd have no chance on a zimm'd surface :smiling3:

If you ever get to Loughborough (not that you'd do that intentionally ... i lived there for 45 years that was enough :smiling3: ),

Then have a look in Geoffs Toys on the highstreet, they had a fair decent offering of model kits everytime i went in the past.

B

Bill's Bunker

FuG Radios..

Hi All,

Well today after dealing with all those round things (Wheels) yesterday. I had a change and started on the Superstructure all went well including the PE inside the cupola, had a thought about the clear plastic optical parts, so painted them silver (except the clear windowed areas) then black, just to see if some kind of reflection works. I broke one of the aerial stumps, but drilled it out for a wire aerial, proberly do both? And talking of such things, the instructions show a FuG 15 radio on the R/H side but also a FuG 16 on the L/H side. By this time I had already done the FuG 15, from what I read the StuH 42 was fitted with one or the other BUT not both. It does have two aerials?

CDW do you remember Young's cameras in Baxter Gate, Loughborough? I worked in the Leicester shop, but worked Loughborough sometimes??

Anyone got an answer?? Here's a few more pics.

Regards

Mel.

View attachment 42900

View attachment 42901

View attachment 42902

StuH-4.jpg

StuH-5.jpg

StuH-6.jpg

Last edited:
C

CDW

Can't answer your technical question Mel sorry.

But as a blast from the past.... we have probably met at some time as i was always in Youngs and Moffatts (across the road) either getting prints done or getting someone to look at my Nikon that i think was a "monday morning build" due to the times it was in and out of repair.