Iwo Jima 1-32 Scale

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Iwo Jima.jpg

As those who have seen my Flamethrower thread will know I have 3 sets of 1-32 scale Airfix Multipose US Marines in my stash which I want to use up, and this is their destination.
I conceived this a while ago when I found the above pic and I have been assembling reference material, with a view to building it after my NEXT big project (which would be after I finish the Fusiliers ....
But after building and printing the flamethrower I couldn't resist making an operator for it, and then last night I just gave in, and this is where I've just got to got to;

IMG_20230328_153654584.jpg
The grey guy (who is actually US Infantry but don't tell, I've already carved off his jacket skirt) will have a radio (also 3D printed) on his back and the guy next to him will be talking on the handset.
I have 3D printed some Marine-style boot soles and removed the existing soles in preparation, as they will all be visible. Unfortunately all the figures have tall boots rather than the correct short boots and canvas gaiters, so there's a bit of work to do there. But I'm going to try not to get too hung up on super-detailing so everything else will be pretty much Out Of The Box.

Considering how ambivalent I am towards painting I don't know why I give myself these epic projects with multiple figures all the same, but this is another one of those ideas like the Scots Greys Charge that I have had in my head since my teenage years. This one is inspired by a photo from a US museum in a book of model soldiers- I'll see if I can track it down.

Thanks for watching but don't expect much more progress for while -I'm still planning to finish the Fusiliers before I get too stuck into this, it's just to give myself a break from all that Navy Blue!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right seat in the old folks seating area please Neil .
Would you mind If a sleep while waiting ?
Much chopping of legs I feel, surgery at its finest :nerd:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I like your new seating gallery above the OR, Neil. Nurses and anesthetist at the ready I suppose. :smiling6:
There is never a ready posed figure available when an original idea is hatched...lucky if you find one.

Cheers,
Wabble

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Ha ha, welcome one and all to the Plastic Surgery - there WILL be SWARF! Obviously I didn't mean the poses would be OOTB :rolling:
And I will be 3D printing some accessories and detritus for the beach, I've just found a .30 cal and ammo box and a couple of other useful files I had previously downloaded for free, so I can rescale them.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Morning Neil, I'll follow along as well. Let me know if you need any Marine Corps Ref. photos regarding uniforms weapons etc. My scale 1:1 collection may contain info that you might find useful. If you need a close up shot of the low cut (Boondocker) field shoe for your 3D print I have one in like new condition. Oh.....the Corps issued double buckle boots as well but they were not that common. :thumb2:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Welcome Rick and many thanks, I have no doubt something will crop up!
Actually I've just thought of something I'm not clear on;
What is the cuff style on the hbt top? Can't decipher whether it is buttoned like a shirt or just plain like a tunic... Over and out!
Cheers
N

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I've found the original inspiration pic- it's from this book, first published in 1962

Model Soldiers 1962.jpg

and here's the pic

Tarawa Dio.jpg

No mention of the scale, unfortunately- I'm guessing it's bigger than 1-32, judging by the quality of the sculpting compared to almost everything else in the book, which is very much in the 'Toy Soldier' style (which really is not to my taste).

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome Rick and many thanks, I have no doubt something will crop up!
Actually I've just thought of something I'm not clear on;
What is the cuff style on the hbt top? Can't decipher whether it is buttoned like a shirt or just plain like a tunic... Over and out!
Cheers
N
Hi Neil,. The sleeve and cuff on USMC hbt is a straight cut with a hemmed cuff. There was a steel button and a button hole cut, so the sleeve could be buttoned up tight around the wrist. When I get into the proper footlocker, I'll post a pic.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Neil, found it in the third footlocker, so I didn't have to search too extensively. The first pic shows the cuff unbuttoned and the second with the cuff buttoned in the first position. As you can see it's just a fold over to create a gentle pleat in the sleeve. Hope this is helpful with your efforts. :thumb2: P1012597.JPGP1012598.JPG

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well, I'm on a bit of a roll so I'll keep going for now....
This is the idea for the next couple of figures

Peleliu 2.jpg

I might make the kneeling guy into a corpsman if I can get around to making the right kit for him-

1572_Medical_Corpsman_8th_Marines_1.jpg
I notice in photos that the Corpsmen are armed and not wearing red crosses in the Pacific -presumably they were not left untargeted by the Japanese?

Anyway ,I started with these legs for the casualty

IMG_20230327_200501940.jpg
...and cut them up, obvs!

IMG_20230327_201408105.jpg

I cut off the boot soles with my jeweler's saw ( it's much easier when the legs are separated, by the way) and then cut the ankles and pinned them with 0.5mm copper wire to relax the feet a bit. I carved off the naughty front laces as well.
The legs wouldn't lie flat enough so I cut them behind the knees(almost all the way through, but not quite) and straightened them out

IMG_20230329_192241024.jpg
I'm not bothering to file the undersides flat very much because they will all be on sand and sinking in slightly. I haven't decided yet but I will probably make the base from Styrofoam so there will be plenty of give.
I pinned the two legs together with 1mm copper wire and did the same with the torso and the head

IMG_20230329_192135582.jpg
None of this is glued yet, in case I need to tweak it when I build the medic .
that's all for now
cheers
N