Iwo Jima 1-32 Scale

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
cheers Allen
I honestly did think of a tattoo but I chickened out.
As for the grenades I googled images of ww2 US Grenade and I just took my pick-presumably they weren't accurately described?
That's fine with me, it's one less painting step!
Hi Neil, Just spotted this comment about the grenade....don't know if this helps, but it will give you an idea as to size.P1012670.JPGP1012671.JPG

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Since my last update I have been doing a little bit of gap-filling and detailing to some of the guys, so here's a couple of shots.

IMG_20230703_164736779.jpg

I tried making the eyelets in the belt with a hot needle but I didn't like the effect so i decided to try 3D printing one... that's it in the centre of the pic.
I've also done the 'logistics' and all the guys are fully kitted out with the correct equipment for their weapon.
IMG_20230703_164631633.jpg

And I've done some gaiters

IMG_20230703_164254783.jpg
They will have laces and straps once I've added the boot soles

IMG_20230703_164436442.jpg

And here's the first go at the 3D printed belt- it's a bit difficult to see the fine detail(even without my crappy photography...) until it gets some paint on it, but I think it's going to work.
I expect I will do a bit more filling when I get back to the Fusiliers and I have spare Milliput to use up.
I've been making digital models of things like a K-bar knife and signal-wire reels-there are loads of them littered all over the beach, plus jerry cans and all sorts of other detritus.
Thanks for watching
Neil

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Sorry l missed this...it looks really amaizing... it's going to look stunning will you add some camo ponchos folded in the belts? Will you mix unifoms?? Or all green?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great project Neil. I’m loving the figure work and this will build into a really interesting diorama. The research and skills on show - all very cool.
Looking forward to the progress.
Cheers
Paul

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Sorry l missed this...it looks really amaizing... it's going to look stunning will you add some camo ponchos folded in the belts? Will you mix unifoms?? Or all green?
Thanks Greg.
The uniforms are all plain in the pics, but the helmet covers are camo and there will be a poncho or two attached to packs

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Great project Neil. I’m loving the figure work and this will build into a really interesting diorama. The research and skills on show - all very cool.
Looking forward to the progress.
Cheers
Paul
Thanks Paul, I do enjoy the research and no matter how much I try not to care about accuracy I just can't help myself...

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Paul, I do enjoy the research and no matter how much I try not to care about accuracy I just can't help myself...
I know exactly what you mean. I love the research. It’s as much a part of the hobby as the build in my opinion. I’ve got book shelves filled with uniforms, equipment, battles, campaigns. I tell myself that my next build will be an easy, ‘shake and bake’ build but, like you, something inside me wants more. More than that though I enjoy the history