Jack's Border 1/35 U-Boat Conning Tower

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I'll try and blog this build as it's a new one and I don't think anyone here has built one yet. FEFBBEBB-78DA-44DC-AD61-2CE6A58317A7.jpeg

Starting off, it's huge. The main hull section is 600mm. The plastic is a nice quality, however there are injection marks everywhere on the larger pieces, and the smaller parts have significant mould lines to clear up.

There is a weird amount of detail included for the internals...all the hatches are workable, but you really can't see anything inside without a light source, even then it would be minimal, so not sure what the point of 6 dials and a PA speaker are. If they wanted to just show what you can see, then they fail, if they wanted to be anywhere near accurate, they fail. U-boat conning towers were packed with wires, pipes and gizmos. I don’t think they really knew what they wanted to achieve. I am going to attempt to scratch build some internal detail, and see if I can maybe do a cutaway. If I mess it up before the cut, it won't be seen anyway. I have ordered some red micro LEDs…just in case. The open hatches are also devoid of any detail. Here is the progress so far:
Vallejo bottle for scale on a ‘tidy’ bench.
3E58B4D1-98AC-4DF9-9F9D-AE7FF2D9CE3F.jpeg

Pin marks and lack of any detail on the hatches:
F828BE1E-0137-49D8-A3EC-B93B0F29C254.jpeg
More injection marks, plus the location for all 8 parts of the interior:
660E5876-DCA5-4129-B0D7-6EAF2BA3275D.jpeg
Conning tower details, and the space for the opportunity to fill…
174FAFCB-461B-4120-9C93-F829C8C0D045.jpeg
Starting to detail the periscope…again pretty low on detail compared to the real thing.
B9523FAE-AE26-461E-8E7D-56D5526B0E35.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This looks interesting Jack. Border Models have certainly missed out on the internal details but I'm sure you will enjoy adding your own. Did the figures come with the kit or are they bought separately?

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Now that does indeed look very nice Jack. :smiling3:
I've always loved a Sub / U Boat, I'll be watching this with loadsa interest ;)

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
This looks interesting Jack. Border Models have certainly missed out on the internal details but I'm sure you will enjoy adding your own. Did the figures come with the kit or are they bought separately?
By Border, but sold separately. I got quite a good deal for both.

Ironically, the pup went swimming for the first time today, thankfully didn’t sink!
124198B5-3993-49DF-B793-3A3F7766B38F.png
Made some progress with what seems to be an extensive exercise in adding various wires and pipes. Still a long way to go, but I think the lower periscope is done.
3BE33DF1-631E-4818-A5E4-91F7A3DC060E.jpeg

Working on the hatch mechanism. Seems Border have got the hinge on the wrong side, but hey ho. What I can’t work out, his how to make steering wheel door handles. If anyone has any suggestions…?
291AC5BA-26EE-4C6D-B76B-CDA9B5959E0C.jpegBC6BF271-738D-4F90-AB4C-9948247F7C2E.jpeg

Attachments

• 740DEBD1-7422-45EE-AD3B-4E6823737808.jpeg
    740DEBD1-7422-45EE-AD3B-4E6823737808.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 4

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Late evening Jack,

Some great super detailing there, Sir!!! Looking fine as wine...If you have an Olfa circle cutter or something similar, you could cut out a disk from 0.30 sheet, the correct diameter, and then carefully drill/cut out the 4 pie shaped pieces. Add a punched out hex disk or two for the center bolt nut. Sand the edges a bit to give them a roundish look like the pic you posted...I hope this makes sense...

Prost
Allen

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Late evening Jack,

Some great super detailing there, Sir!!! Looking fine as wine...If you have an Olfa circle cutter or something similar, you could cut out a disk from 0.30 sheet, the correct diameter, and then carefully drill/cut out the 4 pie shaped pieces. Add a punched out hex disk or two for the center bolt nut. Sand the edges a bit to give them a roundish look like the pic you posted...I hope this makes sense...

Prost
Allen
Jack....
What diameter do those wheel handles need to be?!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Love that detailing Jack on the tower.Hope you sort out that handle .

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Late evening Jack,

Prost
Allen
I do have a compass cutter but have had little success getting any results from it.
Jack....
What diameter do those wheel handles need to be?!
I'll have a measure up when I get to the bench tonight.
Going by the pictures i would say about 10mm dia. You could try using a punch,i bought a set of these on fleabay for not a lot of money,1mm to 10mmView attachment 470214
Might be the answer...just ordered a cheap set off Amazon.
Love that detailing Jack on the tower.Hope you sort out that handle .
Thanks John.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
FOUND EM !! ;)
I tried making some a few years back for an old Revell kit,....
... Gave up when I found these in my LHS, pretty sure you could adapt them,( looking at the pic again, I'd say 7mm would be about right).... Or I expect they do larger sizes?
IMG20221228132815.jpg
IMG20221228132806.jpg
IMG20221228132852.jpg
HTHs
P.S. if you want to "try before you buy" then just let me know and I'll send you up a couple :smiling3:

Last edited:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
FOUND EM !! ;)
I tried making some a few years back for an old Revell kit,....
... Gave up when I found these in my LHS, pretty sure you could adapt them,( looking at the pic again, I'd say 7mm would be about right).... Or I expect they do larger sizes?
View attachment 470282
View attachment 470283
View attachment 470284
HTHs
P.S. if you want to "try before you buy" then just let me know and I'll send you up a couple :smiling3:
Thanks Andy. In my impatience, i decided to ignore all the suggestions above...and try the metalwork/jewellery route. I initially dismissed the idea, but then had a go.

2C076965-9484-4805-8AF0-1A79218D8E72.jpeg
Some copper wire, bent round a thick paintbrush, snipped at the join and then soldered and filed down. Used some plastic strip to make the spokes and topped off with a Meng nut. Slightly out of scale I'm sure, but I'm actually pretty happy. Just need to make a couple more now.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Andy. In my impatience, i decided to ignore all the suggestions above...and try the metalwork/jewellery route. I initially dismissed the idea, but then had a go.

View attachment 470295
Some copper wire, bent round a thick paintbrush, snipped at the join and then soldered and filed down. Used some plastic strip to make the spokes and topped off with a Meng nut. Slightly out of scale I'm sure, but I'm actually pretty happy. Just need to make a couple more now.
Jack,
You should be happy with that it has turned out really well.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

View attachment 470295
Looks great Jack :smiling3:
Your solution there has a much more rounded look to it than those I showed,so you've saved yourself a lot of filing ;)
Great stuff!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great work Jack. I was going to suggest model railway suppliers, looking for cab or smokebox hand wheels, but you‘ve more than nailed it now.