Jim's 1/35 Trumpeter Sd.Kfz 7/1

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Regarding the gun shield….were all the Flakvierling guns fitted with them?
If you do an image search for Sd.Kfz. 7/1 you’ll soon find photos of vehicles without. More of ones that do have them, but it proves that you can leave the shields off if you prefer.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys for your support. I find it extra important when a build hits a problem.

There are various issues with the gun shields. They are all PE which is great for being to scale but harder to build than styrene parts. Also the main shields won't fit with the mesh sides up. On the real thing the shields fold back for when the gun is not deployed. Trumpeter also have a couple of errors in the instructions which threw me for a while.
Anyway after a bit of head scratching .....

Centre section
P1070231.JPG

Curved sections over the barrels. The tiny brackets are just for strength and will be virtually unseen when in position.
P1070236.JPG

The main shields - pieces sorted, folded and construction started.
P1070235.JPG

Completed shields. 8 pieces for each.
P1070237.JPG

P1070238.JPG

P1070239.JPG

P1070240.JPG

Gotta do some painting next and then hope the shields fit OK. They dry fitted fine but ...... ?

Thanks again and a Happy Christmas to one and all.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Jim, a nice and neat work. Almost a pity to cover it with paint.:thumb2:
I'm always surprised how other modeller's PE parts stick together apparently effortlessly while I usually end my sessions with large marks of CA everywhere but on the parts I was trying to join, not to talk about the challenging handling of objects with less than 10 fingers available...:rolling::unamused::tongue-out2:

Spock c.jpg
Merry Christmas, long life and prosperity to you and your family.

Andrea

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys for your support. I find it extra important when a build hits a problem.

There are various issues with the gun shields. They are all PE which is great for being to scale but harder to build than styrene parts. Also the main shields won't fit with the mesh sides up. On the real thing the shields fold back for when the gun is not deployed. Trumpeter also have a couple of errors in the instructions which threw me for a while.
Anyway after a bit of head scratching .....

Centre section
View attachment 469449

Curved sections over the barrels. The tiny brackets are just for strength and will be virtually unseen when in position.
View attachment 469451

The main shields - pieces sorted, folded and construction started.
View attachment 469450

Completed shields. 8 pieces for each.
View attachment 469452

View attachment 469453

View attachment 469454

View attachment 469455

Gotta do some painting next and then hope the shields fit OK. They dry fitted fine but ...... ?

Thanks again and a Happy Christmas to one and all.
....... And a Merry Christmas to you too Jim :smiling3:
.......( Fantastic work on those shields btw. ;) )

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well 'tis done :thumb2:

After a bit of head scratching I came up with an idea. Trumpeter would have the main shields fitted by gluing an edge of the PE into a groove on an upright.
P1070254.JPG
I imagine that would be very difficult to achieve and also the shields would be fixed in position, they could not be swung back and so would not fit between the raised sides. Now this is a picture of someones model taken from the internet (I don't think I'm breaking any rules by showing it as it was easily found - public domain?) It's the dragon kit and shows folded shields.
THIS IS NOT MY MODEL. Just an example of the folded shields.
Dragon kit.jpg

So the plan. I cut off the grooved uprights and fitted a small length of styrene tube.
P1070242.JPG

I glued the cut off upright to the edge of the shield which I bent over slightly.
P1070243.JPG

That meant that the protruding edge of the upright would slot into the tube. The shields could then be moved back as required.
P1070241.JPG
Voila!!

Shields primed, painted, weathered and fitted.
OK so it's not accurate so rivet counters look away now but it's worked well enough for me.
P1070246.JPG

Thanks again to everyone who has looked in on this and a big thanks to Dave for organising the GB. Sorry I'm outside the time frame. More photos in the completed GB section.

And a happy and prosperous 2023 to one and all.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well 'tis done :thumb2:

After a bit of head scratching I came up with an idea. Trumpeter would have the main shields fitted by gluing an edge of the PE into a groove on an upright.
View attachment 470505
I imagine that would be very difficult to achieve and also the shields would be fixed in position, they could not be swung back and so would not fit between the raised sides. Now this is a picture of someones model taken from the internet (I don't think I'm breaking any rules by showing it as it was easily found - public domain?) It's the dragon kit and shows folded shields.
THIS IS NOT MY MODEL. Just an example of the folded shields.
View attachment 470509

So the plan. I cut off the grooved uprights and fitted a small length of styrene tube.
View attachment 470507

I glued the cut off upright to the edge of the shield which I bent over slightly.
View attachment 470508

That meant that the protruding edge of the upright would slot into the tube. The shields could then be moved back as required.
View attachment 470506
Voila!!

Shields primed, painted, weathered and fitted.
OK so it's not accurate so rivet counters look away now but it's worked well enough for me.
View attachment 470510

Thanks again to everyone who has looked in on this and a big thanks to Dave for organising the GB. Sorry I'm outside the time frame. More photos in the completed GB section.

And a happy and prosperous 2023 to one and all.
Absolutely superb finish Jim :smiling3:
Definitely one of the best HTs I've seen.... the Flak came out fantastically,all your painstaking hard work was WELL worth it ;)
I look forward to seeing more of it in the Completed section :smiling3:

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Great build Jim and nice remedy on the shields. These Trumpy 8 tons are undoubtedly tricky little blighters and really test your patience in far too many places.

All the best for 2023

Last edited: