Jim's ICM Chevrolet G7107 - 1/35

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Firstly a big thanks to Pete for getting this GB off the ground.

This will be my build.
IMG20230701125402.jpg

I will build it as Pop Larkin's truck from the TV series The Darling Buds of May. Pop Larkin was played superbly by Sir David Jason. Mariette, his daughter, was played by a young Catherine Zeta-Jones, so definitely worth watching :tongue-out3:
Darling Buds of May.jpg

images

Sprue shots
P1070430.JPG

P1070431.JPG
The "missing" tyre half was actually loose in the bag. I hope the wheels/tyres are not an issue being moulded in two halves.

P1070432.JPG

P1070433.JPG

The mouldings look very good. New moulds from 2021 so a new kit.

A really nice 32 page instruction book. I won't need the decals.
P1070434.JPG

I treated myself to these Quinta 3D decals.
P1070435.JPG

It will be a week or so before I start as "stuff" to do first :rolling:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This is a really nice kit, sharp details, well engineered and fits fine. The instructions are in a very nice book and very clearly set out. Just a couple of issues. Some diagrams show parts in place which are actually not fitted until a later stage. Strange that and can be a bit confusing. I think this issue in instructions was commented on recently. Another odd thing is that the diagrams show the mould lines. I had to check a couple of times to be certain the lines needed removing. Look at the springs and the chassis rail :thinking:
P1070445.JPG

Anyhow chassis mostly done and all nice and square:thumb2:

P1070444.JPG

P1070446.JPG

Thanks for looking in.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A bit more progress. The chassis is mostly finished. A few bits to add but they will have to wait because there is a part missing :rolling:
I didn't notice until it was needed. I have emailed ICM and they have been 'responsive' but they haven't yet agreed to replace the part. B36 is the part in question.
P1070455.JPG
It's not a big deal as the part is mostly hidden underneath the model and I can easily scratch a rough replacement but I hope ICM come through.

The chassis is very fragile. This is one of those kits which uses multiple parts to increase detail. I've made a sort of support for it.
Topside
P1070449.JPG

Underside
P1070450.JPG

Here's an example of the tiny, fragile parts. Two part linkage.
P1070451.JPG

I moved on to the cab. Instrument panel details have been removed to fit the 3D decals.
P1070453.JPG

P1070454.JPG

I'm pondering what to paint and when :thinking: Also I will need to clamp the cab to the chassis when they are glued together. Too many bits in the way to fit the clamp in so I've made a sort of bridge which will mean fragile parts are protected and the pressure will be on the chassis rails.
P1070452.JPG

So my usual glacial rate of progress will slow even more. I hope some of you have infinite patience!! :smiling:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys for your posts :thumb2:

ICM are sending the missing part. They have been very helpful. Something that I didn't realise was that manufacturers usually only supply replacement parts if the kit was bought from a recognised retailer. Although my kit was new and sealed I bought it privately from a seller on eBay. However ICM decided on this occasion to send the replacement part. It could take a while to arrive I suppose given the situation in Ukraine.

While waiting I have got some things done. I was impressed with the sprue attachment points on the tyres. Usually difficult to clean up without messing up the tread but ICM have been clever :tongue-out3:
P1070456.JPG

Wheels built and primed.
P1070461.JPG

I built up the load area. Went together perfectly but very many small parts resulting in a fragile assembly. Just the side seats to add.
P1070462.JPG

P1070463.JPG

Spent a fair bit of time researching Pop Larkin's truck to find what colour the cab interior was. I only found a couple of iffy glimpses but it looked sorta green. So green it is! Used the Quinta 3D decals. They are superb. Still needs dirtying up.
P1070459.JPG

P1070460.JPG

Thanks again and happy mogglin :smiling:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Jigs Jim,

Off to a great start and as usual, I'm late to the party. Odd, that the shaft piece was missing, but good that they are sending you a replacement for it. The Quinta 3D decals look really nice on the dash. I can't wait to try mine out...

Now I guess the big question is......Have you found a 1/35 figure of K. Zeta-Jones to add to the finished product??? I bet most of us here would like to see that, my friend!!!...

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Progress has been slow due to a few things apart from my usual snail's pace. I had to wait for the missing part to come from ICM, it's arrived from Ukraine - excellent customer service, we have been on holiday and we've had some family issues to sort out. Anyway enough of the excuses.

The load bed has bench seats along each side which can be folded up. The Larkin's truck is usually seen with the seats down to accommodate his large family. The seat supports needed to be glued at a precise angle.
P1070465.JPG

P1070466.JPG

With the replacement part arriving the chassis was completed. I have omitted lots of the engine ancillaries as the bonnet will be closed.
The top.
P1070467.JPG

The underneath
P1070468.JPG

Really quite amazing detail but very fragile.
P1070469.JPG

The spare wheel had the bolt holes drilled - surprised ICM missed them, and a fastener made.
P1070470.JPG

Then the chassis, the underside of the rear and the underside of the cab were primed with MRP black primer. So many nooks and crannies in the chassis I used a 0.2 needle in my H&S airbrush and tried to spray from every angle.
P1070471.JPG

Jim

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That's looking very nice Jim, lorry chassis are a nightmare to prime up, oh and top coat :smiling:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Somehow I missed the update on the interior - looks very nice with those 3d decals.

Lovely detail on that suspension!

Sjors

SMF Supporter
First Name
Sjors
Great work Jim!
Really like the crisp detail on the parts!
Are they as finicky a IBG models or a bit more sturdy?