John's sculpt 1/6, Canadian Mounted Policeman.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for all the comments guys.

Well I think the major work is done. The hat is not glued on yet, but next on to priming etc. I wonder what colour to paint him...oh wait I think RED might work!

finished sculpt.jpg

John

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil and Mick Much appreciated your kind comments.

I started to paint his jacket and then I thought, lots of people have trouble painting red since it is a difficult colour to shade and highlight without using black or white to dull the colour. Now as you know colours have three primary characteristics, HUE (or colour e.g. blue yellow red etc.) VALUE (or how light or dark the colour is when measured against a grey scale i.e. white to black) and finally SATURATION or CHROMA (or how bright or dull the colour is, fresh green grass being highly saturated green and German field grey being very low saturation green). When highlighting reds or yellows for instance you should not adjust the VALUE of the colour but adjust the SATURATION. Now this is easier said than done.

A technique I use is to paint a monochromatic underpainting first and then apply thin to thick coats of colour over this. The old master painters called this Grisaille underpainting. It resembles the zenithal spray technique that many figure painters use spraying black from below the figure and white from above. Painting a grisaille underpainting is just taking this darkening and highlighting one stage further.

In the photos below the first row indicates my version of a grisaille, the second shows a thin coat of fairly low SATURATION red, and finally a top coat of very highly SATURATED red. You will see that I paint any dark outlining that I want at the first stage, and this is done in a dark brown (not black) for a red finish.

painting red.jpg

I will continue to work this adding back some of the shadow tones that may have got lost and perhaps some of the lining. Note in the first row of images I do not try to be too subtle in blending the lights and darks. Red having a generally middle VALUE will lighten the darks and darken the lights causing the unblended underpaint to look more blended. I hope you can see in the third row of images how subtle the final result is beginning to look.

John

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Excellent work Mr. B!!! And thank you for the background info too. I learn so many interesting things on here. One day, I hope to try some of them...

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great SBS John. Red is far from my favourite colour to work on. I always end up killing the contrast and ending up with a flat result…..must try this next time……

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I hope the little SBS will be of use one day.

Meanwhile just about finished his uniform now. Done with Crafting acrylics, Jo Sonja acrylics, gold printers ink and acrylic ink.

uniform.jpg

A little bit of tidying up to do, then on to the fun stuff.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Stunning stuff and a load of very interesting and useful information,

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
A great result John, I'm looking forward to seeing how you do his face.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very informative John, thanks . Starting to look really good with the colour following the first coats as you described.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks for all the comments guys.

Well I think the major work is done. The hat is not glued on yet, but next on to priming etc. I wonder what colour to paint him...oh wait I think RED might work!

View attachment 471439

John
Yet another piece of Witchcraft that blows my tiny little mind. I think the name of this forum needs to change…

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
OMG........last time I looked in you were just starting with the block of wood! Stunning performance on this and I love the SBS on the painting, very informative. :thumb2: