JPK 120 in 1:35

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Takom recently released their Versuchsträger 1-2 kit. Some years ago I had first come across this vehicle when I bought a stack of old issues of a defence industry trade magazine from the late 1970s and thought it would be very cool to have a model of it, but scratchbuilding one didn’t appeal to me. I was therefore pretty excited when I learned earlier this year that a 1:35 scale plastic kit of the vehicle would be coming out, and bought it very quickly after it did.

F6A3ED87-2E02-409A-A29F-37D6E05787C2.jpeg

As some background on the real vehicle, Versuchsträger translates literally as “Trial Carrier”. These vehicles were built in the mid-1970s as trials vehicles to see if having two guns would improve the chances of getting a kill on a target, due to being able to fire twice in rapid succession. Two were built: the VT 1-1 that was armed with two L7A3 guns like on the Leopard 1, and the VT 1-2 that had twin Rh-120 guns, the type that would go on to arm the Leopard 2. In the 1-1, the guns were manually loaded, with one loader sitting on each side of the vehicle, while the 1-2 had an automatic loader for each gun, reducing the crew to three: commander, gunner and driver. The lower hull was basically that of the Kampfpanzer 70, the German version of the failed US-German MBT 70 project, but shortened by one roadwheel because the space for the turret ring was of course not needed.

In the end, the concept was not continued with because it didn’t offer a big enough advantage over the Leopard 2 that was under development at the time. The prototype has been preserved and is now in a German museum:

Versuchsträger VT 1-2 by 270862, on Flickr

So what do you get in the box?

DDC71C12-29E7-4E89-A7A4-412CCF9865A6.jpeg9E7AFF1E-8D53-436D-A99A-E3EFA57B0009.jpeg13C7F809-BB4B-49EB-8C97-D64A6E3A8263.jpegEE4C041E-BB98-44D2-AF8F-358F7EC4C3FF.jpegBF09A823-8201-480F-A1CA-AA74CA6C29F4.jpeg

I find the wheel sprues interesting: this model needs six wheels per side, but the sprue gives seven. Would that mean Takom has designed the sprue so it can also be used for an upcoming KPz 70? I kind of hope so :smiling3: Dargon’s kit of that is OK, but not great. The tracks here are so-so, though: they seem well-detailled, but whoever thought that putting them into a plastic bag in an S-shape was a good idea, should probably not be allowed to do that again. The two steel pins., BTW, are to join the tracks, as they have holes moulded through to take the pin.

Instructions can be found on Scalemates since I scanned and uploaded them this afternoon :smiling3:

Now, I’m not that fond of prototypes. I don’t generally find them overly interesting because you only really have the choice of building them as those prototypes.

But: what if? Takom had similar thoughts, as two of the four marking options are for “what if” vehicles in the 1980s.

So let’s assume that the concept did seem promising and the vehicle went into production — that will make a much more interesting model, if you ask me. But IMHO, what-if models are often done fairly poorly: people build the model from the box, then paint, mark and stow it as an in-service vehicle, and that’s it. Most prototypes, though, see some more development before they are actually put into use, and when I look at the VT 1-2, it lacks a lot of features the Bundeswehr would want. For example, things like smoke grenade launchers, an anti-aircraft machine gun, pioneer tools, and more of that kind of stuff. I also kind of expect a production version to use Leopard 2 parts where possible, such as in the suspension, if only to ease the procurement and supply of spares.

Thus, I bought:

4D97D9EA-860A-4AF4-B724-207FC871F46D.jpeg

No full sprue shots, but this is what you get in the box:

1D01FC2C-2A83-441C-BD28-AAA3F4930639.jpeg

Mainly because it was the cheapest Leopard 2 I could find :smiling3: and as I’m not confident that the single-piece tracks will sit realistically, I also got:

4DEC3DB0-506C-499C-A8E9-EA528ED33881.jpeg
735C65BF-1D9B-4500-8181-4A5AB9A6230A.jpeg

Plus Leopard and Kpz 70 bits from my spares box:

CFD51228-4054-4F52-A25E-E274F459EB5B.jpeg

At this point, though, it can be made even more interesting: what if I don’t make it as a Bundeswehr vehicle? But what other realistic options are there? Who else in NATO might have a use for a turretless tank destroyer?

Hmm …

JPK90_0001.jpg

(A book I have on my shelf, BTW, and would highly recommend to anyone interested in the vehicle.)

Belgium had bought the Jagdpanzer Kanone with 90 mm gun in the 1970s, so maybe by the 1980s they might want the developed VT 1-2 with its 120 mm as a replacement. The Jagdpanzer Kanone was generally known as the JPK 90 in Belgian service, so I figure I’ll call this one JPK 120.

I also obtained (from another modeller) a Hobby Fan figure of a “Nato YPR-765 conductor”, which is actually a Belgian crewman, to use on this model:

3FFDDBA1-5698-481A-9B4A-8D36D4A8208A.jpeg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Wow what a strange looking tank destroyer looking forward to seeing this come together love a takom kit ...and think this tank is in world of tanks game

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very interesting Jakko. Sounds as if you've thought this through and have all you need.
Were the two guns independent or did they share targeting?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Wow what a strange looking tank destroyer
Guess why it caught my interest in the 1978 magazine … :smiling3:

love a takom kit
This will be the first of theirs I’ll build. I also have an AMX-13 and two M3 medium tank variants of theirs in the stash, but haven’t gotten round to starting those yet.

...and think this tank is in world of tanks game
I wouldn’t know because I don’t play it, but I guess that’s probably why it was now released as a mainstream plastic kit :smiling3:

Sounds as if you've thought this through and have all you need.
[/quote]
As with more “what-if” models I’ve built, I want to have them be believable and realistic (in as far as a fictional variant can be realistic, of course) and that means not going over one night’s ice. Sorry, Dutch saying there, but I’m sure you get the meaning :smiling3:

Were the two guns independent or did they share targeting?
AFAIK they’re both aimed at the same time but fired separately. The idea seems to have been to allow an immediate second shot if the first hit but failed to knock out the target, or an almost-immediate one if it missed, without needing to wait for the gun to be reloaded like you would in any normal vehicle.

Wow! That's one hell of a project!
Not actually that big: the Takom kit seems straightforward, largely because it has no turret, and what I need from the Leopard kit are mostly bits that can just be stuck on to the VT 1-2, like wheels and tools.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Let’s have some more background on the real thing, but rather than type it all out, here’s the magazine article I mentioned. The first page is the cover of the September 1978 issue of Armies & Weapons, and shows the VT 1-1, the other three are the actual article about these vehicles from the following issue.

Armies & Weapons 46.jpegArmies & Weapons 47 p. 24.jpegArmies & Weapons 47 p. 25.jpegArmies & Weapons 47 p. 26.jpeg

Note the state-of-the-art computer graphics on the last page.

First Name
ismet
As if a student in elementary school listens to her teacher.
Great project. I am following closely.
ismet guralp

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Cool Idea Jakko and nice to have some reference too!!! Are you going to build this alongside your 251??? If so, you better clear a bunch of stuff off your bench, so you have room for both of them.......Just saying......

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The 251 just needs 36 more track links clipped together and it’s ready for painting :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I saw one of these (the kit) the other day. I was almost tempted. Now I get to see you do a far better job of it. So win - win.
I would have done mine as a Swede in that nasty splinter camo.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
cant beat some good reference photos

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I saw one of these (the kit) the other day. I was almost tempted.
I bought it as soon as I saw it available in a web store :smiling3: Like I said, I wanted to build one of these for years, just because of the way it looks.

Now I get to see you do a far better job of it. So win - win.
That remains to be seen ;)

I would have done mine as a Swede in that nasty splinter camo.
Oh, that’s a nice idea too. I put that onto a Strv 103 a long time ago:

Accurate Armour Strv 103C.jpg

This is the old Accurate Armour kit, not the one by Trumpeter that was released about a month after I bought this one from AA at Euro Militaire 2002. That neatly explained why they gave me a discount on it …

cant beat some good reference photos
There are plenty to be found of this vehicle, but they’re pretty much all of it in the Wehrtechnische Sammlung. Which is to be expected, of course :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Work has started on the JPK 120:

BB017683-3287-4459-B9AB-9211CD085FD4.jpeg

This is the lower hull minus the suspension arms and the idler wheel mountings. The parts for the hydropneumatic suspension are better than those in the Dragon KPz 70 kit (which I built some years ago), mainly in that the fit seems more solid.

The lighter grey parts are from the Hobby Boss Leopard 2A4 kit. I had originally fitted the Takom return roller mounts, but pulled them back off when I figured that using Leopard parts would make sense there too. The cones onto which the drive sprockets will fit, required some surgery: the Leopard cones have a ring moulded on that fits into a hole in the hull side, while the VT 1-2 has rings moulded onto the hull sides that its cones fit over. I had to saw and file both away to get the Leopard parts to fit on the hull side.

As I intend to have the suspension in its upper position (hull lowest to the ground), I need to adapt the idler wheel mounts to push the idler further forward, but I’m not yet sure how to best do that. Also, I need to find a way to thicken the axles so that the Hobby Boss wheels will go onto them: they’re made for axles 3 mm thick, while Takom’s are 2 mm.

Edit: forgot to add that there is a mistake in Takom’s instructions. In step 2, it says to install parts E35, E36, E37 and E38, but the numbers have been swapped around. What it calls E35 is E36 and vice versa, and the same with the other two. If you try to fit E35 where it says it needs to go, you’ll find the holes are a fraction of a millimetre too far apart; my first thought was they were too small, but drilling them bigger didn’t help. Then I noticed the part on the model seemed to be the wrong way around (E35 and E36 are each other’s mirror image, pretty much), and swapping them did allow them to fit nicely.

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very interesting build you got going on Jakko.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s going to get more interesting very soon :smiling3:

This is the front of the hull:

0C3F98C4-146D-4961-8EAA-6D05FA27458A.jpeg

I had decided early on that the large rectangular lids need to go. In the magazine photos you can see there’s some kind of equipment behind them, but I doubt you would want lids like these in a combat vehicle’s glacis plate, and so a better place would likely be found for the stuff behind them. But filing them off is going to be quite a chore, especially if the other details are to be left alone.

Furthermore, I had the idea that the vehicle needs to have a proper commander’s hatch, Leopard-style, with all-round vision and a machine gun mount on it. But where to put that? It’s not at all clear from most sources who sits where in this vehicle, until I came across this page: commander on the left, gunner on the right and driver in the middle. I had not expected that — I figured the driver would be on the left and the commander in the middle, or perhaps on the right. But there isn’t enough room for the machine-gun skate rail around the hatch on the left side.

That same page also says that one of the main problems with the VT 1-2 was difficulty in commanding the vehicle, so I think a redesign is needed: put the commander in the middle and the driver on the left. That gave me the idea to raise the whole roof of the crew compartment to the level of the sides and commander’s hatch. This would give enough room to fit a cupola and allow it to actually see anything at all to sides other than the front.

But that, in turn, gives a problem with the various angles on the vehicle. You can’t just raise the roof, because then you end up with a vertical front plate in the middle. Soooo …

766018C7-674C-4958-95CE-1FEF388FA4B7.jpeg

… it all had to come out :smiling3: Careful sawing and cutting got the glacis, roof plate and the sight base out without damage to the main roof or the sight base, so that I can build a new glacis and roof from plastic card (after cleaning up what’s left) and reuse the sight base for the commander.