June 5th 1944, The calm before the storm !

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
1943 battle of Kursk

Walter hardy had taken out three Russian T34 tanks and was moving on his fourth when his tiger was hit !

His his entire crew dead he spent the next eight months recovering in a hospital just outside Berlin

March 1944

Walter Hardy was discharged from hospital and ordered to report to the OKW reserve panzer division south of Caen which he was not happy with for two reasons one he wanted to get back to the Russian front and two it hurt his pride at being placed in a reserve squadron !

On arriving at OKW south he was given a new crew but they seemed like children to him , the other thing he realised was he never had a tank ! For weeks he badgered command about getting a tank and was told he would get one as soon as one was available !

During this time he was woken by a small boy rummaging through his gear the boy was no older than ten and needed a bath desperately! But instead of handing him over to the chain dogs he took pity on the young waif and gave him some chocolate and a hot coffee. Over the next few days the boy seemed to be hanging around and it wasn't too long before he realised he had adopted this little urchin

In April the command got so fed up with Hardys demands they finally gave in and issued a tank to him and his crew

He looked at the tank he was assigned to him and could not believe his eyes at the site of the hunk of mettle before him ! He looked at this old battered Panzer IV AUSF D in horror and new that it was due to his constant demands that command had taught him a lesson

This was not the end of his pride being dragged through the mud as as soon as the rest of his unit saw this banged up old relic the taunting started a particular taunt was to the short gun this was not a good sign he new most of his unit had not seen action and those that did had not been in action since 1940 in France but how could he prove his worth with no battle to prove it in ? In the end he hit on the idea of a football match in which if he won then the taunting would stop a Marder crew accepted and the rules were one player from each tank and a neutral to be goalie ! View attachment 80986

View attachment 80987

View attachment 80988

View attachment 80989

View attachment 80990

View attachment 80991

View attachment 81006

View attachment 81007

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mobear

cool back story,and the DIO is beautifully done,a 5 * build from me mate

mobear

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers ole I appreciate that , it's a shame the civvies weren't as good a quality as the other figures they would have made a nice touch to it :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
like the story behind it Alan great stuff, :D looks good in natural light with the hedge in the back round, top job with all the figures pained so well,and the 2 tanks :cool:

thumbs up from me +10 all the way,

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Moni I'm glad you like it :smiling3:

This is inspector clueso as you can see he's not as good a quality as the other figures View attachment 80992

So I don't know whether to add him or not
image.jpg

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Outstanding dio Alan, really well done mate, as for the french bobby, I'd add him, add a bit more character to the scene.

Top marks, your prize...have the weekend off mate

Lee

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thank you lee for the kind words I've just plonked him on to have a look and I don't think he looks good at all

His face looks like he's got a rubber mask on lolView attachment 80994

IMG_00000034.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very nice Al, you have worked hard on this and it has come to fruition, nicely set out piece. Great build and a great back story, like this a lot.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Richard
outstanding Alan,

really like the background story. The overall setup is a beauty.

5* plus from me mate.

Cheers Richi

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Cheers Moni I'm glad you like it :smiling3: This is inspector clueso as you can see he's not as good a quality as the other figures View attachment 80973So I don't know whether to add him or not
im automatically thinking in a 'ello 'ello voice

'Good moaning.......be cooful where you cock that fitbol, you might brok a wondoo'

:P

D

dubster72

Great dio Alan, well worth all the effort & skill you put into it. The back story is

pretty clever too!

I must shamelessly nick your idea!

Cheers

Patrick

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thank you all I appreciate it :smiling3:

Patrick steel away mate I do expect royalties though:D

Very funny Paul :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thank you dave :smiling3:

You know I should have entered this in the D Day SSIG, oh well I must remember next time :smiling3:

I am painting up another figure seeing as no one has objected to the other one :smiling3:

P

phikoleoputra

Wow, that is a really stunning diorama Alan. 5 star all the way.....

Leo

P

Polux

Magnificent diorama Alan!

I like the contrast between the static figures and those who move :rolleyes:

Cheers

Polux

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Spot on Alan, right down the line.

Great diorama and a great story to match.....I like this mucho!

It even has not one, but two obligatory scale model buckets!!

Cheers,

Ron

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks guys I appreciate it :smiling3:

Ron I was going to make the goal posts out of paper and paint them up like tank smocks but I thought I'd do to buckets instead and it solved the problem of getting them into the dio :smiling3:

I'm updating this with two photos of of the civvies :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Alan,thinking the same as Paul when I saw him, i think you should add the 'ello 'ello, bobby he is good and adds some color as well,