King Tiger Henschel Turret w/Zimmerit (1/35)

K

Kieran

Box Art

Just now am half way done building, Still got the other track to build and the top half of the body

Pictures should follow when i get some batterys for the camera.

If their is one thing i dread about building tanks is the tracks!

The way its came out its a little wonky coming round the gear at the front.

they have never been my strong point haha

(Pictures will follow)

and quite coincidental when i was uploading the picture i had to fill in this canny captcha

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
I hear you I HATE TRACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck and I mean it at least with this tank they are big not like a early panzer that are small

Geegad

D

dubster72

Kieran, with German tanks you're lucky as they have a middle roadwheel so there's a gap between the guide horns. Lay a strip of the tracks dry-fitted together, guide horns up. Once you've got a fair sized length ( I'd go for almost the full upper or lower run ) apply a strip of masking tape between the guide horns. Run a very small amount of thin liquid cement into the gaps of each track section & leave it for 30 minutes.

While waiting, do a new strip. Then you can drape the length of track over the roadwheels, it'll still be flexible so you can get the sag right. Leave it to harden & once it is, remove the tape.

Then join the sections together & you should have realistic tracks!

Patrick

A

andygh

Actually, I've started to enjoy doing individual track links, am I getting weird?

K

Kieran

Thanks guys

Guess if i muck up the tracks i could make a diorama.

in that german enginers are servicing the vehicle :rolleyes:

D

dubster72

Or as I did with a Jagdtiger, have it knocked out & abandoned!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Actually, I've started to enjoy doing individual track links, am I getting weird?
jep!

you are one a slippery slope there mate, lol-

I dont mind doing them, I just hate the thought of starting them.

They do look rather good when done. Worth the effort.

Ian M

L

Lancasterb1

\ said:
Kieran, with German tanks you're lucky as they have a middle roadwheel so there's a gap between the guide horns. Lay a strip of the tracks dry-fitted together, guide horns up. Once you've got a fair sized length ( I'd go for almost the full upper or lower run ) apply a strip of masking tape between the guide horns. Run a very small amount of thin liquid cement into the gaps of each track section & leave it for 30 minutes.While waiting, do a new strip. Then you can drape the length of track over the roadwheels, it'll still be flexible so you can get the sag right. Leave it to harden & once it is, remove the tape.

Then join the sections together & you should have realistic tracks!

Patrick
Patrick

That is a very good tip you have shared there! Will try that with a DML Battle of the Bulge Sherman I have, keep getting it down and then putting it back because they are all individual links on this particular kit. Kieran don't mean to hijack your thread here but this is a cracking tip!

Cheers

Andy

K

Kieran

\ said:
PatrickThat is a very good tip you have shared there! Will try that with a DML Battle of the Bulge Sherman I have, keep getting it down and then putting it back because they are all individual links on this particular kit. Kieran don't mean to hijack your thread here but this is a cracking tip!

Cheers

Andy
Ah we are all here to help each other out :smiling3:

And on another note, the tracks are done!

not the best, but could of been so much worse.

K

Kieran

Yey finished building the model.

Now for the painting!

first time using a Airbrush so lets see how things go

K

Kieran

Finally got batteries

The tank is about 70% Finished still got weathering and details to do!

am going for a winter look.

First time using an Airbrush still got lots of practice ahead of me :smiling3:

also here is some infantry am doing for the diorama.

appoliges for the blurry pictures (need to build a lightbox)

German machine gunner. relaxed and on the move. aftercoming back from a tour of the north. (hence the slight tan lol)

he and the others is still not finished yet, but thought i would post some pics for the progress to far.

S

sprayman

Will be watching this Kieran, as I have never built the king tiger.....looking good so far mate, will look forward to the painting and the figures....

D

dubster72

That's looking nice Kieran, it'll be even better once it's finished!

One small point, the mould seams along the figures are quite visible. I always sand them off. Obviously that doesn't help with your machine gunner but maybe for the other ones.

Patrick

K

Kieran

thanks guys

Yeah will defo do somthing about the Seams.

guess with the machinegunner i could get away with it

saying he made nice creaselines in his uniform lol

D

dubster72

\ said:
thanks guysYeah will defo do somthing about the Seams.

guess with the machinegunner i could get away with it

saying he made nice creaselines in his uniform lol
He was the lucky one with the iron! ;)