Kitty Hawk Septcat Jaguar GR1/GR3

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
It's now complete ! Now what shall I say about this kit? Well let's break it down

Instructions : the kit claims to be able to build the GR1 or the GR3 but you don't get the options during the build to build one or the other even though you do get other parts on the sprues to let you but it just let's you build one type so I have no idea exactly which version I've built

The instructions have mistakes littered through out and the main one is part numbers not corresponding with the parts ie it will show you how to make the port undercarriage but will have a mixture of both port and starboard in the illustrations this happens many times

The other main problem is you get two page 16s and no page 14

The build itself

All guide holes have to be widened to make them fit , the cockpit section and the engine bay are way to big foe the kit , the rear of the cockpit must be filled down by at least 2mm and the engine bay by about 1mm all the way around

The decals : most are tough and slide on lovely but some just seem to tair up easily , for some really mad reason decals 6 and 7 have decals five in the midle of them so have to be cut out and these are really flimsy

Now the photos View attachment 77030

View attachment 77031

View attachment 77032

View attachment 77033

View attachment 77034

View attachment 77035

View attachment 77036

View attachment 77039

I took a photo of the engine section to show you how bad it was but the fuel tank covered it up so that's a bonus :smiling3:

Now she's complete I rather like her but I shall be giving Kitty Hawk a wide birth in the future

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I have given you a great build Alan for the simple reason you have persevered with this kit and hacked and filled to try and get it work. The paint job looks superb despite being hairy-sticked-not all are proficient in the AB department so I think, all round, you have turned a very frustrating and in some cases a part made shelf sitter, into a very credible model, despite the quality and hap-hazard instructions. Well done mate, think you have pulled off a blinder and tops to you for sticking with it.

Si:smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Alan

The Jag turned out great! and the engine fit problems aren't really that visible anyway.

Nice work and I'm glad you persevered with it (and I think you're happy you did too).

And thanks for your thoughts on the kit, I'll be keeping those in mind when I tackle mine. Sounds like the instructions are challenging and the dry-fitting of parts is essential.

So what's next?!!!

All the best

Paul

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers. Si I appreciate that, in fairness I only stuck with it because the wife got it me for Christmas other wise it would have ended up crashed or in the bin lol

Thanks again mate :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Cheers. Si I appreciate that, in fairness I only stuck with it because the wife got it me for Christmas other wise it would have ended up crashed or in the bin lolThanks again mate :smiling3:
As you know part of the modelers time can be devoted to prep and filling etc, many modelers like that challenge, while many others, me included, can be put off by faffing etc. Couple that with bad instructions and...well as you say...boxed and forgotten about or binned. I think sometimes a gift can be worse as you want to try and get it right hence sticking with it. In the end I can only mention again what I said...nice one on sticking at it and for coming up with a good looking model.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks Paul, I am happy with it now but it nearly ended me lol

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
With all the hard work you have needed to put into this build Alan, like Si say's it deserves a great build doodab

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It's turned out nicely Alan, great build mate. If your missiles are Sidewinders and there is a chaff/flare and ECM system then you have a GR.1A or a GR.3 which is a GR.1 upgraded to GR.1A standard.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Joe thanks for clearing that up :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well despite the issues you had with it it has turned out rather well.

I'm really looking forwards to building my one now....:eek:

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ian I really look forward to seeing yours and Paul's , I want to see how good it can look :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
I think it looks good and wouldn't mind doing one myself.i see you've posed the nose equipment bay door open.What sort of detail does the kit provide in there?.

First Name
Mike
Sounds like Kitty Hawk need to improve their quality control, but it's clearly possible to make a very nice Jaguar from the kit, as you've proved. Kudos for sticking with it, it looks great!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thank you polux I appreciate that :smiling3:

Dave I would have liked it better if you built it yourself but with a colour guide as it's only mentioned green in the instructions