Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk. I

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Build thread here, for what it's worth: https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/kotare-spitfire-mk-ia-1-32.41740/

I've finished this OOB with the exception of an HGW harness. It is completed in one of the three kit options, as a Mk. I of No. 234 Squadron, coded AZ-H. This aircraft has become well known because on 15 August 1940 P/O Richard Harris suffered combat damage and was eventually forced down near Cherbourg, France, both he and the aircraft falling into the hands of the Germans. His aircraft was further damaged by airfield flak that opened fire on him as he made a landing. He was one of two pilots who went missing following combat with about 20 Bf 110s of II./ZG 76 , south-west of the Isle of Wight. The other, P/O Parker, baled out into the sea and was rescued by the Germans, also becoming a PoW. Sgt Klein was shot down but was unhurt and returned to the squadron. New Zealander F/O Cecil Hight was shot down and killed, he was 22 years old. Not a good day for No. 234 Squadron at was a very busy period of the Battle of Britain.

I have imagined the aircraft, still in British hands, but somewhere close to that date.

PFQ.jpg

Port.jpg

PRQ.jpg

SFQ.jpg

SRQ.jpgStarboard.jpg

This is a great kit, highly recommended. I did have some tribulations with the decals, but that's not the fault of the kit. Given a choice between this and a Tamiya kit in this scale (which costs twice as much) I'd take this every time.

BTW, there should be an aerial wire running from the top of the fin to the antenna mast and then down into the fuselage. After at least half a dozen failed attempts to get it looking right I've given up...temporarily :smiling3:

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks excellent Steve. I could be tempted...

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nicely done Steve.

Interesting that you'd take this over the tamiya. I've seen all the hype about this kit so it really must be as good as everyone is saying.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Glad you like it!

Very nicely done Steve.

Interesting that you'd take this over the tamiya. I've seen all the hype about this kit so it really must be as good as everyone is saying.

The only issue might be the shape. To my eye the Tamiya kits capture the washout of the wing better, but that's my eye and it's an elusive property. I can't say whether that is technically the case or not.

I'd still go for this kit, it's really well engineered and fitting. Of course, if you want 250 parts it's not for you :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Steve. I'll leave stuff like that to those that are bothered. If it's well engineered, fits together well, and ends up looking like a Spitfire it'll do for me, and that kit seems to tick all those boxes very well.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's very nicely done indeed Steve.

A great finish!

Andrew

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great job Steve. Thanks for your build thread of this new kit.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Steve. Educate me please. I can see the underside is sky, so what's the story with the different colour landing gear ? Is it just an overthrow from the black and white days ?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice Steve. Educate me please. I can see the underside is sky, so what's the story with the different colour landing gear ? Is it just an overthrow from the black and white days ?

That's exactly it.

The aircraft was factory finished in the split Night/White underside scheme. The 'new' Sky colour was then applied with the aircraft in service. On 10 June 1940 the Air Ministry told all concerned that aircraft delivered with the Night/White underside scheme should be repainted with 'no more than two coats' of Sky. The landing gear legs and wheel hubs were clearly left in Night and White. I did the wheel wells the same, but they're anyone's guess.

The pictures show that none of the stencils were re-applied and were simply painted over. I suppose the squadrons were a bit busy fighting the war at this time.

There are also no underwing roundels. These had not been required with the change to Sky undersides. However, as an aid to recognition in air fighting, the underside roundels were re-introduced in mid August, about the time this aircraft was lost. It clearly never received them.