Lancaster, at last

S

Stevekir

At last! My 1/72 Revell (04295) Lancaster, the Dambusters version. It is my third model as an adult (the others were 1/72 and 1/48 Spitfires). The kit went together well out of the box except for the use of Aries resin wheels. Minute flash, but there was one fault: there was a big step in the underside of the fuselage just aft of the bomb bay which should not have been there and required a lot of sanding to remove. The only filling needed was for the fuselage seams and that was very little. I keep the wings unglued to allow removal for storage and transporting. The drawing showing decal placement was poorly printed and difficult to read. The decals went on easily, even the very narrow and long ones. I did not include flame dampers on the engine exhaust: it is not clear whether the Dambusters Lancs had them, and the row of six ports looks nice.

Paint (all acrylic) was Vallejo Primer, Xtracryllic RAF Dark Green and RAF Dark Earth. The underside was an “off black” (a little grey added to black) to get close to RAF “night”. All paint airbrushed. The fuzzy edge of the camouflage was achieved by sausages of White Tack using my method described on Sept 7, 2013 at:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/white-tac-masking-erm-help.19821/#post-174465

The turrets and canopy were masked with Eduard masks, and that is the area that is disappointing. The canopy is a mess. This might be partly due to the very narrow raised framework bars which provide such a narrow width of paint and I think masking and painting would be difficult to get a really good result, but others might have more skills. I cleaned off the three turrets and used very thin strips of painted adhesive tape (“Magic Tape”, the cousin of Sellotape). It did a much better job and I am pleased with it. I will need to do the same with the canopy some day.

I have given some closeups. Of course, a photo is very unforgiving, partly I think because many images show the model closer to the eye than when on a table.

Can I please have critical comments and suggestions.

———————————————————————

This is the standard rear three-quarter whole view. The AJ*F, ED918, refers to the Third Wave that left at midnight, 16/17 May 1943, piloted by F/Sgt. K W Brown, CGM, RCAF, given the award for that specific target, later Squadron Leader. He died in 2002. 7 crew members total:

View attachment 77435

Front port oblique view:

View attachment 77437

Canopy, front turret and bomb aimer’s window. The canopy is a mess. The framework of the turret and bomb aimers window has tape applied:

View attachment 77439

Rear Turret. It also has tape applied to the framework:

View attachment 77441

The “Upkeep” Bomb, showing the drive for giving the backspin, shown during a trial flight. The mud on the wheels (made from icing sugar and burnt umber gouache paint) is probably not very authentic because Lancasters might have seldom passed over muddy ground. Still, it looks good. (And yes, I now realise that the wheels would not have remained in the parked position nor have shown flats in flight!):

View attachment 77443

The Undercarriage:

View attachment 77444

Rear three quarter whole view.jpg

Front port quarter-a.jpg

Canopy, Front Starboard quarter.jpg

Rear Turrett.jpg

The Bomb, from below.jpg

Undercarriage.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
A very nice lank you got there I like the mud on the tyres looks very authentic but as you say I doubt they would have come in contact with any mud probably due to the wieght but a good touch none the less.

Canopies are always a problem but I would suggest getting a toothpick and rubbing it along the edges of the frame work to remove any over spill

I like the Lancaster and I think you've done a great job on this one I'm saving my pennies for tamiyas 1/48 :smiling3:

S

spongtastic

Just ordered a new Airfix Lanc so it's interesting to see another build. For a third model that's amazing, especially when you consider my lowly Hampden is now used to practice various effects on! The only things I can see it could possibly do with some more weathering and a wash to bring out the panel lines? For painting transparencies I use micro brushes at about £6 per box, but then again I don't use an airbrush (yet) so don't have to worry with masking.

Also try using the Furture (Johnsons floor cleaner stuff) on transparencies that everybody keeps mentioning. This really has helped improve the look of some frankly abysmal old airfix and heller kits I've finished.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi Steve, I think this is a great looking model. I am interested in the sausage blu-tack method as I will be using it on a model so to see the results has been great. Canopies do seem to be rather difficult and me and aircraft don't seem to go together well but I think you have done a great job. The belly of the aircraft is a superb shade and the slight grey added to the black really works well.

All together a very nice build and superb pictures.

Si:smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Mr. Kir, sir. You have made a great job of this. The time and effort you have put into it shows!

As you say the canopies are a bit iffy, but all things considered they are fine. The ones with the taped frames look very good.

Good finish on the paint and great camouflage.

My only question is whats next!

Ian M

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Mr. Kir, sir. You have made a great job of this. The time and effort you have put into it shows!As you say the canopies are a bit iffy, but all things considered they are fine. The ones with the taped frames look very good.

Good finish on the paint and great camouflage.

My only question is whats next!

Ian M
Thanks. Next is a 1/16 Ravell Rolls Royce Phanom II Continental. A touch of luxury. Every car in the world, when new, has a flawless paint and chrome mirror finish, which will be a challenge. It's possible. I will achieve it or die in the attempt!

For the chrome I will be experimenting with Alclad II. But at my pace, don't hold your breath!

D

Doug Hughes

Nice one, Steve. It's come out really well. It's good to see the tape method of replicating canopy frames is still alive and kicking. It sounds like your approach to taking up the hobby again is similar to mine - taking it slowly, trying out new techniques with each kit, every one a learning experience. You've certainly produced a cracker with this! My last acquaintance with an Airfix Lanc was in the 60s, and it looks like they've improved on it quite a lot.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks really nice steve , youve captured the look of the lanc perfectly. The canopies look ok , I dont think theres many modellers who wouldnt admit they struggle with canopies (I know I do!!). As for the mud , maybe the airfield at Scampton was a bit muddy in places , whos to say? Whats next on the bench then? cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great build Steve, nothing to add other than this is one you should be proud of. The paint work is very well done, that underside shade has worked nicely for you. Is there going to be any aerial rigging?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very, very nice Lancaster Steve. That tape technique seems to work very well for the canopy glazing frames and I like the soft edge to he camo.

A great build and, incredibly, only your third since returning to the hobby!

Top stuff

Paul

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great build there Steve, always like the look off the Lancaster ,good job very well done

A

Andy Mac

That's a mighty fine looking Lanc you've done there Steve. Top job.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Great build Steve, nothing to add other than this is one you should be proud of. The paint work is very well done, that underside shade has worked nicely for you. Is there going to be any aerial rigging?
Thanks for the comments. I have left off the aerial for the time being while I show it to friends (to avoid damage) and will add it later when it goes on the shelf.

B

Bunkerbarge

I think the Lancaster has come out very well Steve, particularly seeing as you have relatively little experience since your return to modelling. A lot of people would be very pleased with an outcome such as that. I think you've got the tone of the black paint just right, which is a notoriously difficult colour to work with ( or absence of light before anyone says anything!) and the top camoflage is spot on.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
excellent work there Steve, you must be pleased with it. I think you are right about the narrow frames, I had a real problem with my Tiffy canopy in this scale and that is a bit of a mess, ended up freehand painting mine.

First Name
Mike
That's really nice work Steve, and as others have said, particularly impressive for a third model. I know that kit isn't without its vices but you seem to have overcome them without a problem.

\ said:
The Ravell Rolls Royce Phanom II Continental (1936 I think), my first car.
Wow. My first car was a '74 Vauxhall Viva.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Sorry I missed this Steve. Internet is very hit and miss on tour, though I do try to keep up.

Nice job on the Lanc, it looks the part. You've definitely judged the colours very well indeed, the 'black' looks well scaled and the upper camo looks particularly 'right' to my eye. All that 'glass' is bloody hard work which is why I invest in pre-cut masks :smiling3: Your tape solution works though.

Roll out the next one!

Cheers

Steve

C

cryton 5

:D excellent work so defined on paint work ,less is more hopeing too improve with the right

equipment too get that realistic look as you have a fine tribute too all whom served .cry !!