lancaster cockpit metalwork

A

AVB99

Please can someone tell me what colour paint I should use on the framework of the lanc cockpit?

Thank you.

T

tecdes

Are you talking of the inside shell of the cockpit or the canopy ?

Just thought I would ask Aidan ?

Laurie

A

AVB99

I'm talking of the framework of the canopy Laurie - all those tiny strips of metal which hold the windows in (if that makes sense).

Actually while I'm on, having looked at this again, there is no way I can make masks to do this - it's beyond my skill level. Am considering getting some pre-formed masks. Does anyone know which masks work? My kit is the new Airfix 1/72 BOB dambuster's - a BIII special.

Thanks

A

AVB99

Answering my own question.....

I just found this - http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/eduard_masks_172_lancaster_b_mkiii_dambusterairfix-p-32575.html

Are 'bought' masks recommended for people like me? (incompetent!)

Thanks

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Aidan pre-cut masks are a great time saver, particularly on something as complicated as a Lancaster. I used them on my 1/48 build......thank heavens.

The outside of the framework is in the camouflage colours, just follow the scheme through the "glazed" areas.

The interior colour is debatable. I did mine interior grey-green after the preserved nose section in the IWM.

Cheers

Steve

A

AVB99

\ said:
Aidan pre-cut masks are a great time saver, particularly on something as complicated as a Lancaster. I used them on my 1/48 build......thank heavens.The outside of the framework is in the camouflage colours, just follow the scheme through the "glazed" areas.

The interior colour is debatable. I did mine interior grey-green after the preserved nose section in the IWM.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks for answering both question Steve. I shall order them.

T

tecdes

Go on Aidan if I can mask the thing in Tamiya tape so can you. Actually the 1/72 Lancaster is the best canopy I have ever produced.

But you do need Le Loup magnifier specs. http://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Headband-Loupes/High-Grade-Headband-Magnifier-non-flipup.html. I use these they are made of optical glass & do not scratch & . I find the 1.85 mag. adequate for all things. You can get cheaper & they are.

Also use the American razors. http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/100-single-edge-razor-blades. The holder though used as a holder for scrapping glass with the razor also is a good steady holder when using the blades for model making. Found the blades are better than Morton blades/knives for certain jobs. One is for cutting tape when masking. The razor blades are much thinner than Morton blades & much sharper & have a much fine point. Also a plus double ended.

So Aidan what is it to be. Tape or masks. Actually it will be interesting to see masks. Some of the screen curves in 2 planes. You can stretch tape to accommodate. Do the masks stretch to take up the curves ?

Laurie

B

Bunkerbarge

My apologies if I am stating the obvious but not everyone may have realised that you only have to mask the once on the outside. First spray the interior colour as a priming coat then spray the outside colour. The outside will be camoflage and the 'primer' colour will be visible inside the canopy.

Again apologies if everyone already knew this!

A

AVB99

\ said:
Go on Aidan if I can mask the thing in Tamiya tape so can you. Actually the 1/72 Lancaster is the best canopy I have ever produced.But you do need Le Loup magnifier specs. http://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Headband-Loupes/High-Grade-Headband-Magnifier-non-flipup.html. I use these they are made of optical glass & do not scratch & . I find the 1.85 mag. adequate for all things. You can get cheaper & they are.

Also use the American razors. http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/100-single-edge-razor-blades. The holder though used as a holder for scrapping glass with the razor also is a good steady holder when using the blades for model making. Found the blades are better than Morton blades/knives for certain jobs. One is for cutting tape when masking. The razor blades are much thinner than Morton blades & much sharper & have a much fine point. Also a plus double ended.

So Aidan what is it to be. Tape or masks. Actually it will be interesting to see masks. Some of the screen curves in 2 planes. You can stretch tape to accommodate. Do the masks stretch to take up the curves ?

Laurie
I don't have your skills Laurie - it's as simple as that. And I'm not about to practise on a 1/72 canopy! Perhaps I could send the canopy to you and you could paint it for me, by return?

A

AVB99

\ said:
My apologies if I am stating the obvious but not everyone may have realised that you only have to mask the once on the outside. First spray the interior colour as a priming coat then spray the outside colour. The outside will be camoflage and the 'primer' colour will be visible inside the canopy.Again apologies if everyone already knew this!
I didn't know any of this Richard - thank you.

T

tecdes

\ said:
My apologies if I am stating the obvious but not everyone may have realised that you only have to mask the once on the outside. First spray the interior colour as a priming coat then spray the outside colour. The outside will be camoflage and the 'primer' colour will be visible inside the canopy.Again apologies if everyone already knew this!
Bit thick ( me not you) Richard but no not understandee.

Laurie

T

tecdes

\ said:
Apologies read again Ricchard & now understand.

Laurie

First Name
Dave
The masks are a brilliant idea.Used them on a 1/48 Anson.Took .about a quater of the time to mask the canopy than if I'd used my usual Tamiya tape and scalpel method.Ive since bought some for my 1/48 Lanc and B24D.Highly recommended Aiden

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've used them a couple of times - great little things.

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Apologies read again Ricchard & now understand.Laurie
Sorry Laurie, I was probably being very brief as I was worried that everyone did this anyway and would think was being condescending by mentioning it. I saw Stona say very recently that he paints the primer coat by brush but it is all the same either way. By putting the inside colour on first you make it visible on the inside of the canopy and therefore visible through the clear plastic. The top coat is then only visible on the outside. If you get this right it looks extreemly effective.

Its the same technique the RC car boys use on thier lexan car bodies where they paint the insides of the car body rather than the outside. It is soooo easy to get it in the wrong order when over laying colours!!!

A

AlasdairGF

Aidan - don't write of making your own masks entirely, I've just done it for a WWII bomber too (a Hampden). It's strangely satisfying! Maybe try it before your masks arrive, see what you think (easy to take the tape off with a toothpick without damaging the canopy).

What I tend to do (think this is fairly standard): I take some Tamiya masking tape (just the right stickiness) and stick it down onto my cutting surface. Then I cut it into sections around 1mm x 3mm with a very sharp craft knife - these tiny bits will be used like jigsaw pieces to build up the mask for each pane of the canopy. I manoeuvre them into position with a toothpick, starting at one corner of a pane and work round the edge. Getting round corners turns out not to be so difficult, am relieved to report.

Once I've 'outlined' that particular pane of the canopy, I fill in with slightly larger bits of tape. I end up piling tape upon tape, but that doesn't seem to be a worry. Then I seal it all with a coat of clear varnish (I use Humbrol Clear) and then paint over that once it's in place on the model. This time I'm going to try the technique of painting the interior colour as primer before fixing to the model, then painting the whole thing as usual.

Question for the experts...! Anything wrong with painting Clear, then interior colour, then spray priming (i.e. so it ends up having primer over the interior colour), before exterior colours go on?

Trickiest bit for me is handling fiddly bits where panes meet at an angle, I end up cutting tiny triangular shapes out of the tape to use there. Must be said that masking this way may not be perfect. It's satisfying, though, as I've said, and I also find it slightly hypnotic and very relaxing. Hours fly by! Takes a while and specs required (I use a cheap magnifying glass to check on my work from time to time, but don't use a loupe as Laurie suggests). The magnifier tends to make it look awful, you need to be a bit forgiving of yourself when looking in detail...!

Actually what would be really interesting is if you were to try both - mask up a canopy, then when your pre-cut masks arrive, use that on a different canopy, and let us know how both went and which you prefer.

Next plane I get with even slightly complex canopies I'm going to try a pre-cut set too, just so I can decide for myself if they're worth it.

B

Bunkerbarge

If you are going to use three different paints in that way, unless they are all of the same type, I would always do a sample piece first. It doesn't take long and it takes away any doubt. Paint the canopy sprue as a sample so you are using exactly the same plastic as well.

A

AVB99

\ said:
Aidan - don't write of making your own masks entirely, I've just done it for a WWII bomber too (a Hampden). It's strangely satisfying! Maybe try it before your masks arrive, see what you think (easy to take the tape off with a toothpick without damaging the canopy)..
I undertand completely what you say.I'm just short of time. Easier and quicker to use a mask.

A

AlasdairGF

\ said:
If you are going to use three different paints in that way, unless they are all of the same type, I would always do a sample piece first. It doesn't take long and it takes away any doubt. Paint the canopy sprue as a sample so you are using exactly the same plastic as well.
Of course, stupid of me. I've got a spare from the kit I'm working from (a variant piece I won't be using), I'll try that. Will even be able to see how effective the technique is...

Aidan - fair enough!