Late starters

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just like to air a though I've just had..

With the build charging along at a good pace already, which is great to see, how about the guys and Carrie who have yet to lay their stall out, and might not for months to come yet?

I ask because the rules for the FW190 G.B. allowed as many builds as could be accomplished in the allotted time. This means that those people who are well advanced with this build only 7 days in, could well have ample time to do 1 possibly 2 or even 3 builds in the 4 months. It's not impossible..

This begs the question:- What about the folks who, for whatever reason, will leave it much later before starting, they might end up with very few ideas left 'cos the speed builders have 'nicked' them for successive builds.

I know the scope is vast but people still like to have an original idea and use a kit that has not been used before in the G.B.

In order to help the slower modellers, and those yet to decide on a theme, can I suggest the number of builds be kept at say 2 for this G.B.?

Be interesting to read other people's thoughts.

Over to you, Graham.

Ron

F

Fenlander

I doubt that many would want to build more than two kits (or sets of kits) as was the case with the FW190 GB.

I do know where you are coming from Ron but I have stressed right from the start that this is a wide open laid back summer build. I do appreciate that the ones off to a flying start, and you may think I may be one of them as I already have two of my three kits in the spray booth, could grab all the obvious ideas but in reality, I have to get the kits done because my first real diorama is going to take me forever and will probably be a result of many incarnations. I have the basic idea of the scenario but I have absolutely no idea how I am going to achieve it.

Also remember that not all entries are going to be Dioramas. If anyone intends building a single kit with no base at all, then it will be seen with the same value and appreciation as a tabletop size diorama. There is no need to build around a scenario at all even if you are doing a scenic base or diorama.

As for people grabbing all the good ideas, no one has copyright over scenarios, I would be more than happy if someone did the same scenario as myself, in fact I would open it out to anyone who wants to try it, then I could nick their ideas lol

Seriously though, if anyone is struggling for ideas because they may be unfamiliar with the Theatre or just cannot think of what to do, then just shout up. As always, I have every faith that people on this forum would offer help and advice, it is what we do best.

I have also stressed as much as I can that as it is an extended forum, people taking part should continue to support other activity on the forum that is not GB related. So far this has been done and I see no reason why it would not continue. I know I will be building other things during this GB, in fact I have John out hunting for stuff for me as we speak.

I appreciate and respect your concerns Ron so if anyone has any issues with the GB then either post your questions in the GB Chat or PM me. This is, and remains, a very diverse modelling Forum. The GB is just a part of it.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You got a good point there Ron. For those that either don't have as much time or are naturally slow builders, the speed at which ideas are put up on the GBs could well be a bit off putting. Especially if, as you say, the most popular ideas get selected.

I'm not sure whether limiting the number of builds we can do would work though. Faster builders could get fed up waiting for all the rest to catch up.

What about if we limited builders to one proposal for the first month? Those who want to do more than one build will still have the opportunity, and the slower ones will have more time to select their subject. They should also have more choices available. After one month, people could then submit a second proposal if they wanted - and they will now have to look harder for something new or duplicate an existing one. And so on through the months the GB runs.

I'm not sure whether that would make a significant difference given the number of folks who are desperately keen to start; but I'd prefer to see something like that rather than absolute limits on the number of builds.

Our little community has a wonderful diversity of folks - which is undoubtedly one of the things that makes this such a good forum; but it does mean that there are lots of issues involved when doing 'group' type activities.

Be nice to see other people's ideas on this. Betcha between us we can find a workable solution!

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can't start building until I finish my current job and that'a not until the beginning of August. I have every intention of joining the GB and also doing something outside my norm (i.e. not just an aircraft lol). There are some great ideas already being built but the theme is wide enough that I'm sure we late starters will be able to come up with something. If people want to do multiple builds I say "carry on",it's all part of the fun. I enjoy seeing the results from everyone else and after all I'm not competing with them, nor would I ever want to.

Time permitting I'm thinking of something featuring some kind of russian armour (that'll be a first) and a burnt out aircraft (that'll be a first as well) on some kind of muddy steppe like base ( yep,you guessed,another first). That's as far as I've got but I've got the rest of July to think about it!

Cheers

Steve

B

bikerbart

Morning Ron. I think it is really nice that you have taken the time to think about others in such a great way. Its certainaly one of the many attributes this particular forum has and it undoubtably is one of the many fine reasons people like me choice to join it in such an active way.

I have to say that i would feel very comfortable in asking for help if i were struggling for help and ideas with regard to the GB or indeed any other subject. The actual subject of the GB, ie the Eastern Front was made the topic some time before the actual start date so was available to everyone well in advance, and while there will inevitably be those that start later than others, i guess it would not be possible to wait forever for all to start.

With regard to multiple builds within a GB, i will almost certainly only do the one subject i started with, again as you say there will be others who have time to do more, but i dont think they should be restricted simply because im slower at building, or i chose to do only the one.

If it ends up that one/two or even several people all build the same subject then i dont really see this as a problem, infact i think i would welcome it, we would all probably end up putting a different slant on it, i find it quite fascinating how we would all put a different perspective on a single subject. Myself and Graham are both building the same tank in the same scale, i bet they will appear different at the end of the build?

Anyway this is just my take on the subject, what i will say is its great that you are able to post your concearns Ron and that the subject can be talked over in a freindly and positive manner, all the best mate, regards Martin :smiling:

F

Fenlander

Myself and Graham are both building the same tank in the same scale, i bet they will appear different at the end of the build?
Sure will, mine will be rubbish :laughing:

B

bikerbart

Get outta here Graham...ive seen yours all primed and ready ta go...looking nice mate...if i ever finish the figs i might just gat my tank to the priming stage :lala:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ron

I know I'll only tackle the one diorama as I'm absolutely positive it'll take all of the allotted build time. I know some may think I have got off to a bit of a flyer, but I have worked out roughly how long it's going to take to complete various stages and I'm gonna need every bit of the 4 months schedule!

As for copyright on scenarios, I'm with Graham, anyone's welcome to tackle the Kursk battle along side me if they want, after all it is the biggest tank battle in history and a very big milestone in the war on the Eastern Front. I think I'd be a little disappointed if my diorama was copied completely because I think it's the variety of ideas that makes the GB so interesting. That said, anybody wanting to do another knocked out tank and/or alter figures is quite welcome - I'd be interested to see how they get on and exchange advice, reference etc.

I think this thread also touches on Dave's (Gern's) concerns in his 'Fields of Glory' thread. Dave seemed to be a little disappointed in his choice of subject matter and/or the lack of complexity. Personally I don't think it matters too much what you tackle so long as you get something out of it. This could be as simple as improving your figure-painting skills on one figure, using pigments on a vehicle for the first time, or simply finishing a kit.

At one stage I wasn't going to do this GB at all because I had quite a few other projects on the go, and also I don't have a particular interest in the Eastern Front. The reason I give this confession is that the more I thought about it the more I thought I could make it more interesting for me. And I think that's the point, the GB rules are quite open and there's absolutely loads of scope for anyone to explore whatever it is they want to accomplish.

I'm not sure whether I've just rambled off subject here but that's my 2 pennies worth

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

Thanks Paul, that last paragraph is what the spirit of the GB is all about, could not have worded it better myself.