Lee Drennen’s 1/72 Academy P-47D Thunderbolt “Razor Back” (Ardennes Project).

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ok let’s take to the Skies for my next Project in my Ardennes Project (Battle of the Bulge) build. After Christmas Eve the skies cleared and the Allies could take to the air and start to work on the German defense. Sadly on January 7 the Luftwaffe attack several Allies Airfields a major blow to them. But they bounced back and returned to the skies hammering the Germans which was getting low on Equipment, Fuel, and Men.
The Thunderbolts are my favorites of the WWII Aircraft’s. I’m not sure yet on the color more than likely it will be overall Silver with some bits of decals I have. I hope you continue following my Journey building the Battle of the Bulge subjects. AFE18CF7-C459-4A4A-BD87-D62C88CA7CDF.jpeg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Cool, this is the version of the P-47 that I think looks far better than the later bubble-top ones, so this will be interesting to follow :smiling3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Following this one with great interest Lee......got one of these on order in 1-87 scale (resin). Not happy that it is a resin kit but happy that it is a flying"brick" of a "Razor back" like the one you are building. I have not seen too many "action" photos of these, can you point me to an internet site or a good reference to the early Thunderbolts?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice and green Lee!!

I'm the same with a Mossie. Just waiting for a Christmas present to be opened and then I'm all done!

ATB.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nice looking kit Lee. You don't think about the planes, on both sides, when looking at the Battle of the Bulge. It's all tanks and snow and fuel shortages.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Following this one with great interest Lee......got one of these on order in 1-87 scale (resin). Not happy that it is a resin kit but happy that it is a flying"brick" of a "Razor back" like the one you are building. I have not seen too many "action" photos of these, can you point me to an internet site or a good reference to the early Thunderbolts?
Sure there’s a really good YouTube video of these in combat I’ll try to find it today. I watch it quite often. Thanks for the complement too.